Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

Default Maggie has heartworms.

My mom skipped a month of prevention sometime earlier because she thought it was too cold for mosquitoes, and now Maggie has heartworms

Does anyone have any advice? We're doing a month of antibiotics to weaken them, then 3-6 months of some sort of liquid medication to kill them. Is this a good method?

Ugh, I hate this.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Jelly baby?

What we usually do at work is doxycycline for a couple months, a couple injections of ivermectin a month apart, then a single shot of immiticide, then I think a month later a shot of immiticide and another the next day. Or something like that. But I also know immiticide is hard to come by right now.

If you're just doing ivermectin, it'll kill the microfilaria and sterilize the female heartworms (and thus shrink them since they're mostly baby machines), but it won't kill the adult heartworms. They will die when their lifespan is over (2-3 years maybe?) but they'll still be there until then.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
On second thought...

I'm so sorry! I have no advise, but this reminds me that I need to get the dogs tested.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sorry, good luck with whatever you choose.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
What we usually do at work is doxycycline for a couple months, a couple injections of ivermectin a month apart, then a single shot of immiticide, then I think a month later a shot of immiticide and another the next day. Or something like that. But I also know immiticide is hard to come by right now.

If you're just doing ivermectin, it'll kill the microfilaria and sterilize the female heartworms (and thus shrink them since they're mostly baby machines), but it won't kill the adult heartworms. They will die when their lifespan is over (2-3 years maybe?) but they'll still be there until then.
Is just the ivermectin significantly cheaper? Do the females still cause damage until they die? Curiosity.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Lord Cynical

Keep in mind there is an immiticide shortage right now - so whatever method your vet is using is probably the only method available.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Is just the ivermectin significantly cheaper? Do the females still cause damage until they die? Curiosity.
Ivermectin is MUCH cheaper and depending on the situation can be easier on the dog.

And as I said earlier and as Sizzle said, immiticide can be hard to get a hold of at the moment. It's only made by ONE compant and they have some sort of issue with making it - I think one of the ingredients was unavailable in the US.

The sterilized females may cause some damage while they're there, but it's not as bad as full-size heartworms, plus there are no microfilaria being produced so they can stay on heartworm preventative (a lot of times all you have to do is give the dog Heartgard or a generic ivermectin-based preventative monthly as always). And the dog isn't a source of infection for other dogs (via mosquitos).

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Felurian

((((((HUGS))))) and good recovery vibes for Miss Maggie.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
When Missy came into the rescue, she tested heartworm positive. We've been doing this (first her foster mom, then us) for two years, and we're going to test her again in the spring.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
((((((HUGS))))) and good recovery vibes for Miss Maggie.
ditto that!