Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Ugh Birth Control. My Doctor has now spent a year trying to find something that won't let me have periods every 2 weeks, or giving my headaches and a million other side effects.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I suppose I could just use the nuvaring and then not go without it for a week...but I wonder how the insurance would cover it that way?? I'm probably going to try using it normally and still having periods, and if it doesn't help my symptoms then look at seasonalle or just non-stop nuvaring.
I was on the nuvaring for almost 2 years. I tried doing it continuously for about a 6 month period and spotted randomly throughout the last four months. It was so not worth it. When I was using it normally I loved it. Until I realized that my complete and utter lack of sex drive was not normal (for me) and something needed to change. If I *had* to go back on BC I would definitely do the nuvaring again.

My insurance didn't ever kick up a fuss about covering it when I was doing it continuously. I think it was through Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Top Dog

BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD IS MY INSURANCE!!!!! I need to appeal the insurance company anyway, because I can't afford the copay every month whether I take it regularly or continually, but hopefully that won't be too hard.

My doctor did suggest I let this BC clear my system before starting another one, because he wants to confirm the symptoms I'm having are definitely severe side effects and not something else. I can't wait to get my period mid-month and probably hallucinate and want to kill myself and throw up from the pain!!!!! /ARG

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

I just use my regular BC this way, take the active pills for three months straight, then have a period, then three months without it again, etc. It's wonderful.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD IS MY INSURANCE!!!!! I need to appeal the insurance company anyway, because I can't afford the copay every month whether I take it regularly or continually, but hopefully that won't be too hard.
Really? My copay when we were with them was like $15/refill. Unless we had a different prescription company than BCBS....which is likely now that I think about it because I seem to remember paying full price for my BC when I was on my parent's insurance (and I know their prescription stuff was with BCBS). Sorry!!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

I know you said you won't try Depo or an IUD, but while you can't just remove the Depo from your system and I definitely wouldn't do it if you want kids in the future, the IUD can be removed very easily. The Mirena is meant to last 5 years and you can become pregnant immediately after getting off of it. It doesn't really take a lot of time to get out of your system, it has less hormone than the birth control pills, etc, so I would imagine it takes even less time to get out of your system once removed and it is supposed to have less side effects than the pill because of that. You do not have to keep it for the full 5 years.

I was terrified of IUDs, but I decided that having an IUD and possibly not having a period for the next few years was worth the risk than being on the pill which certainly serves its purpose as BC cuz I don't want to have sex at all. but I can't spend a couple days every month curled up in a ball in so much pain from the cramps either.

I can't say a whole lot about it yet, because I just had the Mirena placed last week, but I am really hoping that I have little to no periods with it.

When I was on the pill, I once tried skipping the placebo pills, which skipped my period that week, but really only delayed it a couple weeks. It did not wait until my next round of placebo pills to start. So that was a big PITA, and I wouldn't do it again.

However I got the mirena for the sole purpose of not having periods. I believe we will still be using condoms for bc because I don't like the idea of eggs being fertilized and just not being able to implant. The Mirena works mainly by thinning the lining of your uterus which is what causes you to have no periods.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

My periods were absolutely horrible - major, intense, eye-watering cramping, migraines, heavy bleeding, etc. I started on oral birth control and took it continuously for 3 years - never had a period, and it was wonderful. However, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, which can be a side effect from the estrogen in the pills. So I started with depo-provera in March. The first three months were near constant spotting, but absolutely nothing since then. It's perfect.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

First year of depo I spotted a little, all the time... Second year I spotted only when I was due.. Never had blood again

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Slave to the Aussie

I have pcos and severe endo. I've been on seasonique for a long time now and love it.

My doc has me take it for 8 months straight before taking a 5 day break. This is the time period we worked out suited me best. My are still painful and I'm out from work for 1-2 days sometimes but before I was out for a week or more every single month and in pain for the rest of the month to.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Original Twin

I was on Ortho Tri sprintec when I was on the pill. It is a low hormone pill. Like most pills, you can skip the sugar pills with no ill effect. Also, even without ANY insurance, it was only 9 bucks a month at Walmart. If you don't have insurance, the pharmacy won't give you any issues about WHEN you refill it.