Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Another thread on BC

Does anyone have experience with birth control that stops you from having a period?

My doctor suggested I try one (like seasonelle?) today, and I pretty much said "not a chance in hell". He was like "if your body thinks you're pregnant you won't suffer from the symptoms of PMDD or endometriosis" and I was like "great, but that sounds weird and unnatural and creepy and like it will probably cause 100 other problems".

I've reacted negatively to 2 types of oral contraceptives, but the reactions have been so negative, I'm not super-willing to try any more. Unfortunately, endometriosis makes my period suck hardcore, and being unable to get out of bed for 2-3 days each month isn't quite cutting it, and my PMDD is getting downright dangerous, to the point where I'm afraid to be alone around my period.

I did well on the nuvaring, but my symptoms weren't all that bad then, and I also can't really afford it. I can appeal the insurance company and say it's for a diagnosis and not as birth control, but I don't know how long that will take.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good links to studies on BC that stops or limits your period to a few times a year, or personal experience with it?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

wel I am not on a BC that stops my period, but quite often I skip my sugar pills and go straight to the next months pack, and that skips my period completly. The Dr. says doing this is not an issue. And I have not had any effects from doing that. And I do it at least 3-4 times a year.

And believe me when I say having your period when you back woods camping in not fun at all.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm All Ears

My new BC has no placebo pills and they said I might not have a period at all and that's ok...

I forget the name (it's in my suitcase in my car). I've been on it a grand total of 2 days so not much help.

I was surprised that they told me they don't recommend yasmin for PCOS anymore. :/
Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I was on the depo shot yrs ago ( had a tubal ligation when I had my twins) and it stopped my period, never had any bad side effects to the shot.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I am on depo provera and have been for many years. I do not have periods. I went off depo for a while and tried Nuvaring nonstop (as in three weeks with one ring then immediately put in another instead of a week off) and doing that is also used to treat endometriosis. I ended up having really bad side effects from it, the least of which included depression, so I quit using it. But if that worked well for you, it might be worth trying to see if the insurance will help you out with that.

A doc suggested to me that having spent many on the depo may have burned up the endometrial tissue and I could go back on a regular pill. TBH I wasn't willing to test it out. I don't know exactly what your cramps are like, but I hear you on not being able to get out of bed 2-3 days every month. I didn't want to just try it out and "see" if I was better or not. I NEVER want to have to live through that again. If they could remove my uterus that would be fantastic honestly. So we just went back to the depo since we knew it worked for me.

Even though I am on depo and love it, IMO depo should be used as a very last resort. It does funky stuff to your calcium and bone density, however the research all shows that if you stop using the depo your bone density will repair itself back to how it was before. Nevertheless, I am on a calcium supplement with it.
Also, if you want kids one day... it can do things to your fertility as well. I know of a lot of women who were on it and then went off and have spent over a year trying to ovulate again and still aren't ovulating, so they can't get pregnant. I don't know if things like Nuvaring or Seasonelle have the same kinds of problems, I never read that much about Nuvaring (not until I started having side-effects and went googling and found out what I was going through was in fact a side-effect.) That said, I also have a friend who got pregnant on depo... twice. But her body didn't tolerate it that well, it wore off quickly on her, so I think it wasn't that she got pregnant on depo, she was actually no longer protected by it, so she got pregnant. I also knew a girl who got pregnant on depo and her body violently aborted the baby because of the depo injection still being in her body...

All that said, I personally haven't had any bad side effects from it. The first year I was on it, I spotted almost constantly... but since then I have stopped spotting. I get NO cramps let alone crippling ones, no periods at all, it's awesome. People will tell you it makes you gain weight, but that's not true; what it can do is mess with your metabolism and you feel hungry often so you eat more and therefore you gain weight - but it's not the DEPO making you gain weight, it's the overeating. (Same with all BC by the way.)
OTOH I don't want kids so if I do have any fertility issues with it later I won't be brokenhearted, so I can't speak to that issue personally. I just know what I have found from other women.

Anyway, from where I'm standing having been on both Nuvaring and depo, I would honestly encourage you to try and make the Nuvaring work out if you can... did it work for you even with the break week? If so even better.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

I <3 my IUD (Mirena) - no periods for 2 years now, so no more horrid cramping every month and I lost 10lbs when I went off the pill!

I did try the 12 weeks on, 1 week off when I was on BC pills on my dr's advice. You can use any regular BC pill from my understanding, tho sometimes insurance is a pain about when you pick up your next pack when you use a regular 3 weeks on, 1 week off pill.

I could never get to a full 12 weeks on without spotting; 6-9 weeks seemed doable on a few pills but not on others . When I did spot though it was a PITA as it was unpredictable and the duration varied a lot as well.

The spotting was one of the things that triggered me to look for alternatives and that's when I learned about the Mirena. I'm sold on it - no systemic hormones, no periods, and I don't have to give it any thought on a day to day basis for 5 years!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I've been on depo for more than a decade. I don't want kids. I'm fine if I become sterile. That's the biggie I've been warned of for years. I get bone scans done every few years, do weight bearing activity. I'm fine and don't bleed and am super happy with it.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Laur, Yasmin made me suicidal.

I wouldn't do the depo or IUD, because for one thing I react so badly to medications I'm not about to use or take something I can't very quickly flush out of my system or remove, and for two, I do want to have kids in probably 5-6 years.

I suppose I could just use the nuvaring and then not go without it for a week...but I wonder how the insurance would cover it that way?? I'm probably going to try using it normally and still having periods, and if it doesn't help my symptoms then look at seasonalle or just non-stop nuvaring.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

My insurance did not have an issue covering NuvaRing without the break week although my doctor did tell me they would argue it with them if they did. I think she actually wrote the prescription in a particular way to make it clear I needed to use it continuously and they never gave me crap about it (surprising, because my insurance at the time sucked and they gave me crap about a LOT of things.)

But yeah, I would try and use it normally and see if it helps get your symptoms under control before you start using it continuously. It will be cheaper if you don't use it continuously for one thing, LOL... fewer rings needed.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

I took the pill (not one specifically for that purpose) without the placebo week for months on end with no issue whatsoever. Whenever I get around to getting on the pill again (I can NOT remember to schedule things) I'll probably do the same.