Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm All Ears

It depends on the breed and what the dog is for, I expect. And the kennel set up.

I prefer people who keep their dogs in the house, especially in a companion breed.

ETA: Also just because a breeder 'uses kennels' doesn't mean the dogs live there. Trey's breeder had a bunch of kennels but the dogs lived inside the majority of the time.

When I get a bigger dog, I'll be building a kennel for it to stay in while I'm gone to work. I see it as preferable to crating to be honest.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Duuuuude.

Thanks for the answers! I think it might just be because my dogs have always lived inside the home with me so the thought of them not being there just seems strange. Of course I've never had more than 3 dogs at a time and they were all altered.

As I said, I don't think there's anything WRONG with it. In some cases it makes more sense to me (like some people mentioned rotating dogs that don't get along etc, I like that idea more than them being crated.) So, I was surprised at how I felt about it.

And yeah, "uses kennels" might not be the best way to phrase it, I was thinking more along the lines of "kennels are the dogs' main residence when not being worked with." If I had the space/money I'd love a kennel setup as an alternative to crating when I'm not home.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
orange iguanas.

Juno's breeder had kennels (indoor/outdoor access) but that wasn't their primary living space, and not where the puppies were kept/raised. She just didn't have all the dogs loose in the house at the same time. Instead of crating them, they were in large kennels.

Didn't bug me at all.

Now I wouldn't have liked it if the kennels were where the dogs lived and they were not house dogs. Maybe my opinion on that would change depending on breed, but that would not be an ideal living situation for boxers.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Just try me..

Well there are really two issues here.

Do you want a dog that lived in a kennel, for fear of lack of worldy experience. Though I agree with Linds a stable dog is a stable dog. Seren was nervous of a few things, but her way of checking things out it is to stand there and stare, and then bark lol (her response to many things is to bark.. just like her sister)

The other issue being is people against dogs in kennels not wanting to support a breeder who keeps dogs not in the house.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

No I would not.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Resident fainting goat

No. probably not.

Even with A LOT of socialization, I just prefer the idea that these dogs/puppies are raised in a home. I just don't think you can mimic the socialization that comes with being born/raised in a home with the feeling of carpets, sounds of vacuum, sounds of the coffee machine and alarm clocks, going up/down stairs, people walking about etc...

and even if you could. I dunno.. it just rubs me the wrong way...

I like a breeder who treats their dogs as family. and to me, part of that means they live in the house with them, as family.

Now of course there are exceptions to every rule, and if I found a breeder who went ABOVE AND BEYOND and proved to me that these dogs were FAMILY. they are extensively socialized, that the kennel was temperature controlled and very clean, that they are out and about and a part of everyday life...

maybe.

but as a general rule, I would prefer not to.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Top Dog

Logan's breeder doesn't keep all the dogs in the house all the time. When I was staying there overnight, Logan and his parents were inside overnight and the others were in their own areas. I'm sure they all get time inside, because they know how to behave inside. Logan was amazingly well socialized with people, animals and various environments. He balks at nothing - NOTHING has really scared him or anything. Bottom line is I got Logan, I don't regret it in the least, and I'd get another dog from the same breeder in a heartbeat.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Hits the Mark

I believe there needs to be some equal ground. I understand that kennels have a proper and good use. A breeder, for example, might have a bunch of intact males and females that need to have some separation. A breeder who shows dogs might have more than 4 or 5 dogs and needs to use the kennels because all of the dogs can't be in the house all the time. If a breeder has, lets say, 12 dogs and a litter on the ground - I would understand not having them all in the house at once. Having that many dogs int he house 24/7 also doesn't necessarily guarantee the dogs are being well socialized either. Using crates doesn't mean that the breeder is not socializing the dogs or being a good owner. It could be that it is more out of necessity.

However, if there is a breeder who uses kennels that the dogs -never- come out of, then there is a problem. That is unacceptable in my book. But I know there are many people who have to kennel their dogs for a big portion of the day while they are at work and that doesn't mean their dogs are not great members of society and socialized properly.

To extreme one way or another is never good.

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971
Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM
MyHorseMyRules

I would, and I have! Boone's breeder raises dogs/puppies in kennels. I have yet to see him turn out any unstable dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'd rather see dogs kenneled and well taken care of then stuck in crates inside the house all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
A stable dog is a stable dog and a kennel isn't going to make or break that.

I figure, if the dogs are coming out of it good and are what I want then whether or not they are kenneled doesn't matter, the fact that they are good dogs does.
Excellent posts.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Resident fainting goat

I took the question as "raised puppies in kennels"
and to that, I say no, probably not. Id want my puppy to be socialized in the home with a breeder who wants females/puppies in the home nearby.

but as for older dogs? with the right interaction, weather and kennel safety.. I don't see why not.
As somebody mentioned.. it's probably preferable than being in a crate, atleast they can move around

Of course, I wouldn't want a breeder that had dogs in kennels 24/7

but if the kennel was clean, climate controlled, and the dogs had plenty of out time/interaction.. then fine