Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Watson's breeder had her house built so the first floor consists of indoor/outdoor runs for the dogs. Her yard is sectioned into 3 separate fenced areas... She rotates her dogs because basenji's can be snarky little buggers and not all of them get along

That being said all her dogs also get their turn hanging out in the upstairs people part of the house and get their turn sleeping in the bed

Watson came to us well socialized at the age of 4 months and he was fine with house living.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 PM
*Now with Snark*

Depends on the breed but generally yes - I'd buy from a breeder with a kennel. Kennels aren't a deal breaker, or even a bad thing - I have kennels too - my dogs just aren't in them most of the day (or at all some days.)

That said at times something is lost with a kennel dog depending on the breed. A house dog breeder who has 3 dogs in the house and 30 in a kennel outside can't possibly know if they're breeding a quality house dog. 3 generations down from that they may be breeding a pretty dog but a better to exceptional housedog? Maybe not so much. That which is not selected for is lost
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
I'm just curious. A while back I visited an Aussie breeder that was producing the sort of dogs I liked at the time. I found her to be helpful and knowledgable and her dogs were happy, well-socialized and well taken care of. She also ran a boarding facility in which her own dogs stayed. These dogs weren't languishing in kennels; they were taken out and worked with every day. The breeder lived on a large plot of land that her dogs got to take advantage of. The kennels were right across the driveway from her house. In theory I don't see this as being unethical, but I found I just couldn't let go of the fact the dogs weren't strictly house dogs (although they got access to the house during the day, too.)...
That's similar to the set up Caleb's breeder had, although she'd bring her dogs inside, and her pups were raised in the house. Her kennels were just outside her back door. Besides boarding, she also took dogs in for field training.
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Oh, definitely! Actually, already have. And would do it again in a heart beat.
This. It doesn't even phase me, not really something that I thought about.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Depends on how the situation is handled. If the dogs only ever see people to get fed, then no, not gonna work. If they get out to run, train, get loved on every day, then I'd be much more open to the idea.

I'd rather see dogs kenneled and well taken care of then stuck in crates inside the house all day.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 PM
overdogged

Probably not if that is their primary living space.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Depends on how the situation is handled. If the dogs only ever see people to get fed, then no, not gonna work.
To me, these are two separate problems. If the dogs aren't getting exercised and trained with human contact chances are the dogs also aren't proving themselves to be worthy for breeding. And chances are, kennels have nothing to do with whether or not the breeder is like this.

For me, kennels have no barring on good care or not. If they aren't getting trained/exercised/proven, then it's a breeder problem, not a kennel problem.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Nope.

We see too many kennel dogs at work. I always feel horrible for them.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

In a heartbeat - kennels or chain spots, either are just fine by me.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
For me, kennels have no barring on good care or not. If they aren't getting trained/exercised/proven, then it's a breeder problem, not a kennel problem.
YES

To be honest, I loved how comfortable Traveler was outside and I do attribute that to growing up outside.

The way I look at it, Traveler never left the ranch he was on. I doubt he was inside more than once or twice and he was able fly across the world, go through four airports over three days and it never phased him. A stable dog is a stable dog and a kennel isn't going to make or break that. He is still as bomb proof as can be, never was afraid of vacuums, fireworks, odd flooring, storms etc.

I figure, if the dogs are coming out of it good and are what I want then whether or not they are kenneled doesn't matter, the fact that they are good dogs does.