Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,032
Default

Drink so much water you feel like you are going to pee every 10 minutes.

Camelback water bottles are the bomb digitty <3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Samantha's pet's Avatar
Samantha's pet Samantha's pet is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
then you should be conderned about eating less carbs. You might want to trade in your nutrition book.

it's hardly a small percentage and a select few that have an increased insulin response. Obesity rates are out of control and diabetes rates seem to double every 10 years since carbs became the staples of people's diets. When 2 million people in this country have insulin sensitivity disease as a direct result from receptors being burned out from eating too many carbs and the resulting insulin response, I'd hardly call that a select few. Diabetes should be a rare disease, not a common one. at the current rates of increase we'll be at a rate of 1 out of 3 having the disease in the next 40 years. That's not a select few.

in the major population, carbs are the major culprit for poor health. They make you fatter. They stimulate hunger they increase the insulin response and women pay attention. you spend billions per year on trying to look younger, and nothing will age you faster than increased insulin levels over the years. You'll age faster than you want to. Save some money and cut out insulin stimulating foods like carbs.

Triglyceride levels in your blood, which are proving to be a better predictor of strokes and related heart disease than cholesterol. wanna know where the majority of those come from? It isn't from the fat you eat. It's carbs again.

They cause long term inflammation in the body, there's the anti oxidant stuff Dekka's already been talking about. In archeological records the first records of inflammatory joint diseases and things like dental cavities are first noted when the cultivation of grains became a staple to the human diet. Just something to think about.

it's not about just cutting carbs, it's about where they come from. Grains, pasta's, white rice etc should be severely restricted, and almost completely eliminated. Carbs from veggies, more than ok. and studies on ketosis vary widely. There are many good arguments that thru evolution, humans are supposed to to use up their glycogen stores periodically, and switch from a primarily carb burning body, to a fat burning body for energy.
I disagree. lol I can't exactly "trade in" my book. I have to use the text required for the class. I know there is information out there to support nearly any argument a person wants to make. There is a lot of conflicting information on nutrition. I am choosing to go with the information in my text book on this one.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
I disagree. lol I can't exactly "trade in" my book. I have to use the text required for the class. I know there is information out there to support nearly any argument a person wants to make. There is a lot of conflicting information on nutrition. I am choosing to go with the information in my text book on this one.
Actually as a scientist I have to say the arguments against carbs is far more compelling/better science. Less bias, less funded by interest groups etc.

Obviously its up to you to use what you wish, but in the interest of education you should at least look at the other studies. The same people who have been saying that eating cholesterol doesn't have any significant impact on high blood cholesterol nor can any link be found between high blood cholesterol and arterial plaques are the ones who have been attacked by the people who want us all to eat carbs.

Its becoming irrefutable that what we thought about eating fats and cholesterol linked heart disease was a product of very very biased science and people with an agenda. The fact they have been caught picking and choosing groups to give the results they want should be damning enough to warrant a closer look.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Samantha's pet's Avatar
Samantha's pet Samantha's pet is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Benton Arkansas
Posts: 2,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Actually as a scientist I have to say the arguments against carbs is far more compelling/better science. Less bias, less funded by interest groups etc.

Obviously its up to you to use what you wish, but in the interest of education you should at least look at the other studies. The same people who have been saying that eating cholesterol doesn't have any significant impact on high blood cholesterol nor can any link be found between high blood cholesterol and arterial plaques are the ones who have been attacked by the people who want us all to eat carbs.

Its becoming irrefutable that what we thought about eating fats and cholesterol linked heart disease was a product of very very biased science and people with an agenda. The fact they have been caught picking and choosing groups to give the results they want should be damning enough to warrant a closer look.
I plan to do more independent research when I get further into my course work. I am working on a degree in dietetics. I try to do outside research now but I am a bit swamped with school, Chloe, etc. I also find it nearly impossible to find a completely unbiased source these days.

To be clear, I do not believe that you and RTH are entirely wrong. I am just not sure I agree that grains are detrimental to the degree that y'all do.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,162
Default

I dont' think they are harmful in and of themselves (though they do create more free radicals) I do think basing a diet on them isn't the healthiest, though with rising population it is the cheapest and easiest. Its also the processed grains that really pack the carbs into you.

A bowl of steel cut oats isn't that bad for example. Toast and jam is.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I dont' think they are harmful in and of themselves (though they do create more free radicals) I do think basing a diet on them isn't the healthiest, though with rising population it is the cheapest and easiest. Its also the processed grains that really pack the carbs into you.

A bowl of steel cut oats isn't that bad for example. Toast and jam is.
exactly, by themselves, they aren't terrible. The problem is our diets are based on them, and that is a problem. Where you get carbs from make a difference. the majority eaten in this country are processed and pretty much junk. They make us fat and load our blood with triglycerides because they liver has to do something with them when they can't all be used.

and it is about national policy. It is easy to feed a nation on grains. They're easy to grow, easy to store, and easy to process. There's a difference between feeding and nourishing a body.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Michiyo-Fir Michiyo-Fir is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,337
Default

Hmm, try the P90x DVDs? I love it because it doesn't use that much equipment. Some dumbells, a yoga mat and a chin up bar plus a few other things. The dumbell and mat I already have, I only had to buy a chin up bar.

Edit: It comes with the nutritional plan as well in the handbook so you know what to eat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,849
Default

Fruits, legumes, nuts and vegetables should be the vast majority of what we eat, almost the entirety of what we eat. White flour, white potatoes, animal products don't have enough micronutrients. 60% of the diet of most people is "food" with little micronutrients. Fruits and veggies fight free radicals that cause cancer. Without a majority of the diet being fruits and vegetables, many diseases get a free path for destruction in our bodies. To lose weight and feel great, load up on fruits and vegetables. Some are better than others. I make sure to utilize all the colors they come in. If the mainstay of a diet is not fruits and vegetables, that is why people get cravings for more of the wrong stuff and feel hungry and weak. I truly believe that eating foods not designed for humans; processed, the wrong carbs, just all the junk is what causes cancers, heart disease, all kinds of other diseases, depression and most everything that goes wrong with people because they're not eating enough of the foods that fight diseases as they're getting started. They're not getting those angioinhibitors which are found in fruits and veggies... which starve out cancer cells. I've lost a bunch of weight and its because I've primarily cut out empty calories and concentrated on micronutrient-rich foods. (except for occasionally...like today. Thanksgiving) And exercise.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Fruits, legumes, nuts and vegetables should be the vast majority of what we eat, almost the entirety of what we eat. White flour, white potatoes, animal products don't have enough micronutrients. 60% of the diet of most people is "food" with little micronutrients. Fruits and veggies fight free radicals that cause cancer. Without a majority of the diet being fruits and vegetables, many diseases get a free path for destruction in our bodies. To lose weight and feel great, load up on fruits and vegetables. Some are better than others. I make sure to utilize all the colors they come in. If the mainstay of a diet is not fruits and vegetables, that is why people get cravings for more of the wrong stuff and feel hungry and weak. I truly believe that eating foods not designed for humans; processed, the wrong carbs, just all the junk is what causes cancers, heart disease, all kinds of other diseases, depression and most everything that goes wrong with people because they're not eating enough of the foods that fight diseases as they're getting started. They're not getting those angioinhibitors which are found in fruits and veggies... which starve out cancer cells. I've lost a bunch of weight and its because I've primarily cut out empty calories and concentrated on micronutrient-rich foods. (except for occasionally...like today. Thanksgiving) And exercise.

Where are you getting this from? A lot of fruits are NOT good. We weren't designed to eat lots of fruit, fruit was what helped fatten people up to survive winters. The sugars in fruit are the same sugars in junk food (if you are avoiding sugars)

If you avoid excess carbs you don't need all the anti oxidants

Veggies are good.

Why do you say meat products don't contain micro nutrients. There are some things you pretty much can only get from meat.

I have read a LOT of interesting stuff (all peer reviewed 'real' science) as I have decided to get serious about my eating habits. There is a LOT of politically motivated mis information out there.

From what I gather eating lots of veggies and meats, a little fruit and very low carbs is going to be 'healthiest' when it comes to heart disease, diabetes, cancer and to maintain a healthy weight. However recommending that goes against some big lobbies.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM
release the hounds release the hounds is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,858
Default

Fruits should be an occasional thing. They're better than a candy bar, but for weight loss, if you're having troubles? avoid most of them. THey're mostly sugar. Besides some berries, the rest can go away for the most part.

The only problem with meat is the way we raise it, which in turn makes it unhealthy to eat a lot of it. Wild game, and grass fed beef is perfect. Nothing wrong with it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site