Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 PM
*Now with Snark*

I was told bloat kits were no longer recommended. :/
Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Just a note to anyone who stumbles on this thread from google or something.

You need to look up the warning signs of bloat. Yoshi bloated and she didn't show any signs and it was hard for me to pick up on it. The only real reason I knew something was wrong is when I tried to give her a chicken strip she didn't eat it. She is so food driven she'll eat until she's sick and keep eating. So her not eating the one piece of food was enough for me to take her to the vet.

This video shows a dog who is definitely bloating but your dog may not look like this dog at all. Your dog may not even act like the symptoms say they should act. But if even one of the flags shows up call your vet. I was lucky and caught Yoshi's bloat early. But there are thousands of people who ignored smaller signals and lost their dogs.
Farley was the same way - none of the typical signs. In fact once the vet gave him an exam he didn't feel he had bloat but to put my mind at ease he took an xray to rule out bloat or a blockage. He came back into the room to say they were prepping him for surgery because his stomach had already twisted.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

From what I've seen if you know what you are doing you can use a bloat kit but you still need to rush your dog to the vet.

I don't think I could do it. I don't think yoshi would struggle too much if I tried I'm just not personally confident shoving a tube into my dog.

But to everyone who can use one properly kudos I guess.