Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Actually I don't cut fat. People doing keto go out of their way to eat lots of fat and drop weight like crazy.

I am now down 13 pounds now and fit into jeans I didn't since I was running.

Gluten free is a good plan. But you don't have to cut out the fat to loose weight. I am currently reading a book called Good Calories Bad Calories. Its basically a HUGE scientific review on fats and carbs, as well as the real causes behind heart disease and cholesterol. Its a very good and very surprising read.
I've read some similar things as well. I find for me at least, cutting fat where fat isn't required helps my overall energy levels - eating something heavy in saturated fats tends to slow me down. I'm not sure if that's just me.

I still take in a good amount of "good" and "bad" fat, including eggs for breakfast a few times a week.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Just try me..

I don't add fat the way some of them do lol. But I am not avoiding it and am dropping nearly a pound a day so its all good! (yes I am aware this rate of loss will not continue)

My energy levels are just as good if not better, so it could just be an individual thing. Though they do say people go through 'the keto flu' when their body switches over to heavily burning fats and can last up to 3 weeks. Mine only lasted a few days where I felt lethargic and icky.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Taxiderpy

Quinoa is really good. Also, if you have access to gluten free pastas, the best by far are the quinoa pastas. We love the curls. Even my husband prefers them to regular pasta.

I serve that with one of the Classico sauces (our favorite is Florentine spinach and cheese) and a bunch of ground beef. Nom.

Mexican food is super easy. Just use corn tortillas. I eat quesadillas almost exclusively in place of sandwiches. I'm not a big veggie eater, but they're a good way to sneak in some stuff like crushed garlic, peppers, kale, etc. 2-3 cheese quesadillas with a big bowl of tomato bisque for dipping is heaven.

Baked squash is awesome too.

We'll cube up squash and fry it with corn, green chiles, cheese, and whatever other southwesty stuff we can cobble together.

Also, we eat tons of fat in this house. Even my husband and daughter, who are more carb types than protein like me. None of us has problems with our weight, but the vast majority of the fats we use are cold pressed olive oil, grapeseed oil, and grassfed dairy fat. We use them straight as dip or on salads, but also to fry all of our tortillas and stuff.

These are the BEST gluten free waffles I've found so far. The homestyle flavor is sort of vanilla-esque. They're really good toasted with pretty much anything on top. For a treat we'll make some homemade whipped cream, and serve them with a bunch of berries piled on top.

Oats are really good and cheap too, and they're one of the highest protein grains. While they don't have gluten in them, Quaker oats brand do make me sick so I think they're cross contaminated or something. I haven't had any problems with bulk oats or Kroger brand. When we buy them from the bulk section I have an employee grab a sealed 25 lb bag from the back for me, so it isn't cross contaminated by people mixing up scoops (that much usually runs me about $12). They're also great if you have a high fat diet because they absorb a lot of saturated fats as they pass through and really help your cholesterol.

Chocolate no-bake cookies are a good gluten free treat.

Beans are always really good. They're so good for you. Beans and rice, like refried beans, or black beans with corn on rice is good too. You can chop up green onions and sprinkle them on everything. They're super cheap and it's an easy way to get some greens.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Kotah BEAR

Good for you Meri!

If I could handle the taste of gluten-free food, I'd eat it. But I LOVE food with TONS upon TONS of flavor. I'm the person who adds extra everything on foods that already have plenty on it lol

I found whole grain foods, eating healthy (or healthy-ish) cereal for breakfast and maybe dinner, and drinking tons of more water has helped me lose weight.
I have high metabolism, which causes me to lose weight super slow, but once I find something that works, I try to stick to it and the weight falls off, plus I work out but my tummy needs more help :/ Stress doesn't help the bloating issue though.

ANYWAYS sorry for the thread highjack lol

BTW, gluten-free Chex cereal is GROSS (to me anyways) It tastes like rabbit food lol
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
BTW, gluten-free Chex cereal is GROSS (to me anyways) It tastes like rabbit food lol
I make mine into Puppy Chow. LOL. Totally healthy.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I make mine into Puppy Chow. LOL. Totally healthy.
That might be the only time its good, it even SMELLS like rabbit food. Bleh lol
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Mmmmm puppy chow...

Dak, don't you mean "slow" metabolism?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Mmmmm puppy chow...

Dak, don't you mean "slow" metabolism?
Er, yes that's what I meant. At least you caught that for me lol
Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

I tried eating gluten free for about 2 weeks....thinking it might help with some of my health issues, depression and stuff.

It didn't help at all, and I didn't lose weight either (back then I wasn't as thin). I hear everyone going on and on about how horrible gluten is, and I guess plenty of people don't do well on it (or are downright allergic), but I think it's completely harmless for a lot of people, too.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM
On second thought...

I tried to cut out gluten, but it's hard one campus especially since I already limit myself to vegan foods. Reading this though, I may consider trying again. I do think it could help me health-wise.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.