Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Squishy face

Default Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!

So, Miles has fleas.

We have given him multiple flea baths and washed all his bedding. Somehow, in that thick pomeranian coat of his, some fleas keep surviving the baths. Anyone have any suggestions for eliminating ALL the fleas on a double-coated breed? My roomies and I have discussed shaving Miles, but he has one of those insulating coats, and we don't want it to grow back funny. I mean, if we MUST shave it to get all the fleas, we will. The roommate that owns Miles is going to buy some Advantix when she gets her next paycheck.

Suggestions to help a poor itchy dog until then?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Capstar would kill all of the fleas on him, we used that and a topical the first time we had a flea outbreak here. I believe it works within 30 minutes or so if giving it to them.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

I'd Capstar, then treat with something long lasting as well as treating the environment
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Top Dog

Capstar + advantix.

Tip: the only difference between the Advantix packages for dogs 1-10 pounds and 11-20 pounds is the quantity of medication in the little bottles.... The 11-20 lb bottle has twice as much medication as the 1-10 pound bottle. So what I do for Luna is I buy the larger box - which is only like $5 more - and only use half at a time.

Also when the flea outbreaks are really bad, I'll reapply it every two weeks. The instructions say you can apply it every 7 days (but I just can't stomach putting that much pesticides on my dog), but 14 days seems to do the trick around here.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Resident fainting goat

I agree with k9advantix + Capstar

in a pinch, I have used dishsoap and that stuff does WONDERS on fleas. I mean, it's bad for the coat (dries it out..) but hey, the fleas are dead.

Just let it bubble and sit, really rub it in.. rinse & repeat! Worked for us

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

I used dawn dishsoap on the persians when they caught a nasty case of the little buggers. Lord, it was a mess trying to bathe two of them at once, then rinse it out of all that hair, but it solved the problem.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

We've had a few month long issue. I was bathing with dish soap and tee tree oil.. Vacuuming the carpets every few days, washing the bedding..

Things would seem controlled and then I'd find adult fleas on my kids again. With longer fur, you have to suds dishsoap like mad. If you miss a spot, fleas crawl there and wait out the bath. I've found live ones post bath.

I got capstar. Sadly both my kids threw up a few hours after taking it.. but they haven't had fleas in a few weeks. I still keep vacuuming the house, hoping it's finally under control.

Sadly something like 5% of a flea issue is found on your dog.. An an adult flea can drop 80 or so eggs a day which can hibernate for months if needed in carpets, furniture, even cracks in the floor. So when I think our issue is solved, it's back again..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
overdogged

Yup, the adult fleas are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of them are going to be in your environment, and they will keep hatching out and hatching out even when you've treated your dog.

Remember that you need to wait at least 48 hours before and after bathing when applying a topical. It spreads through the oil on the skin, so if you wash that oil off by bathing and then immediately apply a product, it's not going to translocate as effectively and you won't have as good protection over the whole dog.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Durp Dog

Maf, have you tried Comfortis?

We were battling fleas for a long time because after we moved Advantage stopped working, and Frontline didn't work. So I asked my vet if they had something else and tthey told me about it. You might be able to get one pill to try, my vet sells it like that too.

Fleas are the devil lol.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogKisses View Post
Maf, have you tried Comfortis?

We were battling fleas for a long time because after we moved Advantage stopped working, and Frontline didn't work. So I asked my vet if they had something else and tthey told me about it. You might be able to get one pill to try, my vet sells it like that too.

Fleas are the devil lol.
Sadly I'm Canadian.. and I can't get flea products without a vet visit.. and I don't have a vet I'm willing to pay $60 to just to let me have $100 or so bucks of flea products.. In an emergency sure.. But near every vet visit has been a condescending experience where everything under the sun is criticized as I won't do excess vaccs and won't feed the food pushed.. Heck, Smudge likely has a tick bourne disease.. and I've called four vets and none were willing to test for tick diseases.. 'we don't have them here'.. that's nice.. I took a trip to the states.. I have had 7 years of frustrating vet experiences.. So sadly for fleas.. I'm cranky to have to go to the vet to try a different med..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground