Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Okay, for all of you that are interested... Here's the update.

We went to the vet Monday, and got bloodwork, a fecal, and of course a HW test.

The HW test and fecal were negative. Free of any parasites.

When the vet got to Fleetwood's bloodwork results, the first thing she said was "It blew my mind." She says that nothing concerns her as far as his organs go, but His white blood cell count was WAY high. And the majority of them were lymphocytes, which is way unusual for a dog of his age. And to boot, the cells themselves were abnormal. She ordered some kind of pathology test on the cells, and the results of that test will be in tomorrow....

Forgive me if I get any of that slightly wrong, I don't know all the technical lingo. Fleetwood's stool has been the consistency of water the past few days, and he threw up partially digested food 3 times this morning. When we went in on Monday, She noticed that every part of his body was unusually dry-- his paw pads, his skin, everything-- it's like he's not absorbing any of the moisture that he's taking in. She also said that the dry skin is causing secondary infections on his skin.

As for his shoulder... She did do another X-ray, and sure enough, there's an OCD injury. Osteochondritis Dissecans. They're confident that it can be fixed with a sort of stem cell treatment called PRP. Platelet Rich Plasma. It sounds incredible- he gets blood drawn, They isolate platelets, and he gets them injected into the site of the injury-- they say that we'll start to see improvement in as little as a week! Sounds great, I hope it works!

I'm done with dog food. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and then cooked up a big batch of hamburger and rice with bonemeal and oil. That's what he's eating until we can come up with a better game plan. He's going in tomorrow for fluid treatment, and we'll hopefully have the pathology results back by then.

I also took Gina in with him for pretty much the same work-up. According to the bloodwork, She's got signs of cushing's disease. We'll be doing an X-ray and ultrasound later this week or next week to work on figuring that out.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Yay for answers!

~~~VIBES~~~ that everything works out the way it should, and that you can finally have a healthy Fleetwood after it's all said and done Also vibes for his remaining bloodwork and for Gina!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:07 PM
overdogged

I hope that you get some answers and that it's nothing serious.

Has he been tested for Ehrlichia? That can sometimes cause a high lymphocyte count.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Top Dog

Thank you for the well-wishes!

Elegy, I've never heard of Ehrlichia. I'm going to google that now. We didn't talk about any possible "could be"s, the vet wanted to wait until the test results come back tomorrow so she knows a little more.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Sending good thoughts for your pups! Hopefully the cooked meals help.

And I've heard about that stem-cell therapy before. It sounds like it would have been GREAT to treat Jinj for his arthritis, but I'm worried his heart might not keep up with him much longer. I'm interested to know though, about how much it's going to cost, I always imagined when I read about it that it would be something pretty astronomical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Thank you for the well-wishes!

Elegy, I've never heard of Ehrlichia. I'm going to google that now. We didn't talk about any possible "could be"s, the vet wanted to wait until the test results come back tomorrow so she knows a little more.
It is a tick born illness. The snap test that our vet uses for heartworm also checks for 3 tick born illnesses which includes this one.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Twin 2.0

Tazwell, contact Sabine with Better Dog Care. She was on Chaz for a long time (her sn was Mordy) and she is a master at dog nutrition and crafting the perfect diet for his needs. MisssAshby had her draw up a plan for one of her doxies that had seizures--he's been seizure-free ever since.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Top Dog

I did research Ehrlichia, and at first glance it doesn't sound very likely (but still a possibility of course!). Fleetwood has never had a tick, or if he has, it hasn't been there long enough for me to even see it. But we'll see!

Welsh, they quoted me about $350 for the PRP treatment because my vet can do it in house. How cool is that!

Zoom, I will definitely keep that in mind-- I need to figure out what's wrong with him, but then I might definitely do that! I think I remember Mordy from ages ago. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

So we went back to see the vet today. Fleetwood got Fluids to help him stay hydrated. The results of his bloodwork came back, and the doctor was upset about what she found. I can't recall everything that was said, but she is concerned that we may be looking at the early stages of Leukemia. We're doing a pancreatitis test on Monday, because that's also a possibility-- I really am hoping it's as simple as that!

One of the doctors is an Oncologist... So the fact that she suspects leukemia scares me a lot. He's lost almost 3lbs since Monday, and the doctor says he has muscle deteriation. This is a drastic change in less than 4 days... I'm very worried about him.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

~~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~ that it's not leukemia and is something simple!

((hugs))
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
overdogged

I really really hope it's not leukemia. Sending many good vibes!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?