Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Twin 2.0

I don't really have anything else to suggest until after you're out of the contract, but I am sending lots of hugs and vibes!!!! I've known a decent amount of the breeders dogs and I can't seem to remember any of these issues, though it's entirely possible she didn't disclose to them to me at the time.

I still lurve Fleetwood and want more pictures of him.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 AM
Top Dog

Thanks, zoom! She is pretty honest with me, I believe, and always quick to answer my questions and offer advice and guidance. I have to wonder if Fleetwood gets it from his Dad's side. His sire wasn't from her line, but from a kennel in France, I think.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Twin 2.0

Honestly, given what I know of the MYV lines, at least the homebred ones, I wouldn't be surprised if this did come from an outcross.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
DARN IT! I just typed out a long-arse post and somehow it didn't post. Here we go again.

I swear I replied to this one a few days ago, anyway-- Sorry for the delay!

Thank you so much, Welsh, for your input! I immediately emailed my vet after your last post. She's treated quite a few shelties with dermatomyositis, and she doesn't think it's likely that that's what's affecting fletwood. She just opened her own clinic (tomorrow's their first day! Yay!) and she wants me to bring him in asap to re-do his shoulder x rays on her new digital machine. It should be much clearer. I still believe he's suffering from some kind of injury.

I'm going to research the possibility of switching to Fromm right now, and I know a store near here that carries it. I'll check it out, I like that suggestion. I want to keep him on kibble to stay within the breeder's contract. Until he's 18 months old, at least. Then I may seriously consider raw feeding depending on where we're at.

I'm in distress every day over his health, and subsequently his behavior. He has so many behavior problems that are directly caused by his health problems. I want him to be better, I want to find something that helps him and that we can gain some kind of consistency. Thank you for your help, and input! I appreciate every bit!
I know how that goes, at least most of the problem went away after switching off dial-up, but this DSL has it's days.

Just thought I'd throw that out as a suggestion, as it seems to be more prevalent in the breed than I thought, in fact I didn't even know about the condition till a little over a month ago when it popped up on a random google search! Then to have just a couple weeks later one breeder place a puppy because of an effected litter, that was surprising! I'm doing more extensive research on it now, even found one Blog with another male named as known to have the condition, although the breeder who was using him proclaimed to have "bred out" the condition in their line while still keeping him in pedigrees.

Quote:
ETA: It's sad how accustomed he is to throwing up. He asks to go outside, just as if he needed to go potty. He vomits, and then goes about his normal business as if nothing had happened. I've never had a dog that throws up so often.
Don't I know that! Poor Jinj, he use to throw up about once a day, sometimes more, it was a great week if he only did once a week. But he also got to a point where he would rush over to you urgently, and you just let him out and waited. Between that, and the constant messy butt, ugh. I'm SO glad to have finally after all these years pinned down most his problems, but I do still wind up cleaning messy fluffy pants about once a month, thank heavens for Nature's miracle.

Quote:
I just thought about it-- Fleetwood is on the large breed adult Innova, so the protein comes from chicken and turkey. He did really well on Hamburger and rice, so perhaps I'll switch him to the red meat formula. It doesn't seem to have any poultry at all.
Just be careful, I just found out that the beef frettata has pork in it! Didn't know till I looked it up online recently, the main store I buy from doesn't sell that variety, but pork can be harder on some dogs. I have Enda on the Pork and Applesauce right now, she seems to be doing okay with it, but has been going a little more frequently and a little more loose, but I'm attributing that to her being in season, with moron neighbors who let their intact male dogs roam she's not getting regular walks, and isn't to happy about having to use the play area as a toilet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I don't really have anything else to suggest until after you're out of the contract, but I am sending lots of hugs and vibes!!!! I've known a decent amount of the breeders dogs and I can't seem to remember any of these issues, though it's entirely possible she didn't disclose to them to me at the time.

I still lurve Fleetwood and want more pictures of him.
From what I've seen, these issues appear to be new. But again, all I really only know about her dogs, is what she and other owners of her dogs have disclosed.

Quote:
Thanks, zoom! She is pretty honest with me, I believe, and always quick to answer my questions and offer advice and guidance. I have to wonder if Fleetwood gets it from his Dad's side. His sire wasn't from her line, but from a kennel in France, I think.
So odd how much of a different experience to what I had. I don't slam people, I'm not going to, but I will say I found it a little more than a little upsetting how she just never seemed to get back to me. But, the more I hear, the more I'm glad now about it, Enda is not perfect, but DANG she has some great conformation! "shame about the handler"...lol

Also, From the way I'm looking at it, no. I'd say because of the similarities at this point of him, to our friends male, it's his Dams side. I don't know as much about their bitch (same dam as their male, different sire), she LOVES attention, but she isn't that fond of other dogs, they constantly keep her on a very short strict leash when at events because of it, and they also decided to spay her, I don't know why I don't press for answer and am the anti-nosy person. Really, all I know about his "shoulder defect" has come second hand from people they use to train in herding with and recommended to me, but if you would like for your own interest with Fleetwood, I can e-mail them and ask about it? It really sounded to me like the same condition you mentioned a few post's ago, OCD?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Welsh, I would like that a lot. You are more than welcome to give out my email address too, I would like to be in contact with another owner of a MYV dog. I have zero contacts, and I don't want to do that through the breeder...

PM me if you're interested

Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

My dog had been vomiting bile for ages. Seemed like every morning shed puke up bile, eat grass, puke some more. NOTHING helped her.

I got this from a friend who spent thousands on her dog for the same reason. I give her one 20mg Pepcid before bed and one in the morning. She has not vomited in 6 weekds at all. She vomited for over a year every day, and no more in 6 weeks.

GOOGLE the facts. It says the indigestion problem is fairly common in dogs, yet overlooked by vets. Vomit & diahrrea are symptoms of the stomaches acid build up.

The prescribing of Foto*******mine whatever is the active ingredient in Pepcid is getting more and more common. It is a true miracle. And you should notice if this is a cure, after one or two doses at the most.

Good luck, but Im telling ya, try it. It cannot hurt anything.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Hey Mach, thanks for the suggestion. My dachshund had had acid reflux every morning as well, and our treatment for her was similar. Fleetwood's symptoms are not the same, and I don't know if I could constitute giving him pepto every night for such a sporadic symptoms--- but I can definitely consider it if it worsens or becomes more consistent!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

No not PEPTO-PEPCID. The medicine in Pepcid is safe for the dogs, and I give it ritually just because I know for sure (after it started working) that it is working to even stop sporadic symptoms.

In other words, try it, and see if it works, for lets say 3 days. If it does, stop for a day or two see if the symptoms return. If so, then you know. Give it ritually if it helps because it does not "build up" in the dogs system, it is safe so it doesnt hurt him and doesnt work well once the symptoms have started. Better to prevent before hand then after it starts.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl View Post
No not PEPTO-PEPCID. The medicine in Pepcid is safe for the dogs,
I would like to clarify something new on this. Watch the ingredient list of ANY medication you buy for your pets these days! I found a form of benedryl the other day that had Sorbitol in it, although I'm not yet sure on that one, MOST artificial and "replacement" sweeteners, are deadly toxic to dogs. Just be on the look out! I know last time I looked, the Pepto name brand had changed their formula to include artificial sweeteners.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
I would like to clarify something new on this. Watch the ingredient list of ANY medication you buy for your pets these days! I found a form of benedryl the other day that had Sorbitol in it, although I'm not yet sure on that one, MOST artificial and "replacement" sweeteners, are deadly toxic to dogs. Just be on the look out! I know last time I looked, the Pepto name brand had changed their formula to include artificial sweeteners.
Sorbitol is safe (so far anyway) BUT it is a cathartic, and in large enough doses can cause vomiting and diarrhea. When we give activated charcoal at work, there is one with sorbitol which causes it to go right through them and come out the other end in a matter of an hour or two (ewwwww), and the one without sorbitol just passes through at a normal pace.

It IS a good idea to check ingredients, though. More and more drugs have xylitol in their coating, and xylitol is VERY dangerous.