Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I can't say I will ever want a dog like that and I'm a pretty dang responsible dog owner..
I guess this is the part of your post that I keep coming back to. You don't want that. So. What.

I don't want that. I want as little possibility of dog aggression that I can find. I don't like it, I don't want to deal with it and it's not ideal for me, my life or the rest of my dogs. But, that doesn't matter.

Like has already been said, it's not bred for. It's a by product of breeding for the other traits that make them what they are. Are some dogs that have all those traits stone cold? Yes. Are most of them? Not at all. And to try and eradicate it from the breed would mean eliminating so many dogs that are exemplary examples of the breed just because if given a chance they would like another dog in their face. One of the biggest issues in so many dog breeds today is a small gene pool and you're asking that this breed have that done to them on an extreme scale.

Dog aggression is a reality of the breed and one that the majority of their owners understand, respect and expect from them so I guess I don't understand why if they are all happy with how their dogs are they should have to change it to fit your ideals
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

Dog aggression is a reality of the breed and one that the majority of their owners understand, respect and expect from them so I guess I don't understand why if they are all happy with how their dogs are they should have to change it to fit your ideals

My Polyvore
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Resident fainting goat

I also don't think there is any shame or harm in just saying "I don't like/can't handle this specific trait in the breed, so I am going to look at a breed that suits my needs/wants better."
I got a lot of slack recently because of my breed choices for service dogs and breeds I over-looked because of certain breed traits (A biggie being dog aggression) and just being honest with the fact that no, it's not something I WANT to deal with. It just isn't.

It's not an insult to the breed, breeders or those who own/love an animal of this breed.. it's just a simple fact.
but some people (not so much here) get so OFFENDED by the very idea of somebody dismissing the breed that they love that I feel like sometimes.. the message comes across as..
"Wow I cant believe you would dismiss all these super dooper AMAZING things about my breed because of that one trait.Well my breed is awesome and that trait gives my breed x,y,z and I love that trait and if you can't handle that then you suck! Go get one of those soft boring dogs you soft boring person!"
instead of.. "CONGRATS TO YOU for doing your research and realizing that x, y, z is a breed trait, and while not ALL dogs have it... It is a possibility that, if you want a dog of this breed, you should be ready to deal with it. and If you aren't, then good luck finding a breed that suits your needs better!"

and I hear it time and again...
"I don't want a husky because they need a lot of exercise and jump fences"

"My husky doesn't need that much exercise! My husky only gets walked twice a day! And you know what?! Huskies need exercise because they are so smart! All that stamina also makes them great at doing laundry and curing cancer, so if you want a lazy dog than go ahead you lazy doodoo head! and my dog NEVER EVER jumps any fences because I watch him when he is in the yard and if you don't want YOUR DOG when he is in the yard than you suck and should get a hamster instead!"

lol slightly exaggerated.. but still..

Saying that you don't want a DA breed =/= you not liking DA breed or thinking they are lesser for being potentially DA

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Ooh Love your reply Fran, they are always so colorful.

I'm kinnda in that boat right now. I just rescued a Pit bullX Tosa Inu. She is a freaking adorable good puppy, but that puppy could grow up to be very DA. Im not ready to deal with Crating and rotating such a big dog and a little dog. Its too much of a risk. So the plan is to get her healthy and find her a home.

She could grow up to be great with other dogs, but its not the risk Im willing to take, without knowing her background and the parents. But I have nothing against breeds that are DA, heck Teagan is a snarky little Beotch.

And my next breed is going to be a SSA breed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-08-2012, 04:41 AM
and Fozzie B!

Wow... I don't know why my posts are being picked at and attacked with such rudeness.

I am not in control of the breeding of all APBTs, nor am I going to slander anyone for breeding DA dogs. I might get an APBT in the future, and I'm going to a breeder who breeds for stable, dog-friendly stock that is exemplary in every other aspect. Of course I would keep my puppy if he turned out DA, but I'd much rather everything is done to prevent that. That is my opinion. It would benefit the breed as far as I am concerned, and this thread is about opinions. I've fostered several Pit Bull puppies from very questionable parents... all of them, as adults now, are 100% dog friendly, thankfully. I'm friends with many other foster parents who have gotten dogs back a year later, or worse, those dogs have been PTS because they developed dog aggression. With a dog whose reputation is in shambles, where the majority of breeders are BYBs at best, I do feel that it's in the best interest of the breed as a whole to breed dog/human friendly dogs. I know so many amazing, drivey, intense working APBTs with the perfect personality for the breed who are very reliable with other dogs... I'm sure their owners wouldn't appreciate being told that their dogs aren't as drivey or don't have that "spark" because they aren't DA.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Just try me..

Here is a question.. IS there a breeder who breeds nice correct APBT with appropriate drive where they are all dog friendly (like labs)? Or is this a theoretical breeder?

I ask because every breeder of super dog friendly JRTs I know (not many, mostly bybs) all have dogs with little to no drive. The super dog friendly rescues I have had have coincidentally had 0 prey drive.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I know of 1 APBT breeder who breeds relatively dog tolerant dogs for sports like IPO,WP, & agility. That said my friends dog from there is still DR.

Honestly fostering "might be" pit bulls and buying a "is for sure" pit bull is a different world.

I wish you luck in your searches but encourage you to seek certain amstaf or UKC show lines. Avoid anything adba and gamey looking.

The higher drive the more likelihood for prey and fight issues.

I'd look for show or pet lines to avoid as much DA as possible, or best yet I'd rescue an adult.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I'm sure their owners wouldn't appreciate being told that their dogs aren't as drivey or don't have that "spark" because they aren't DA.
I don't really remember anyone saying that. All that is being said is that it isn't actively being bred for but if the entirety of the breed had it's DA dogs culled the amount of amazing bloodlines and dogs gone would be monumental and so very damaging to the breed.

But, that's why there are options. If you don't like DA then find a different breed or go to one of the breeders that do cull for DA. But don't ask that everyone else have your hangups about DA. Because the majority of the APBT owners love their dogs exactly how they are.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
.... or best yet I'd rescue an adult.
Thank you.

Why not rescue an adult with known temperament....puppies are a gamble, you never really know what you'll end up with.

Tangent incoming.......And, why promote the breeding of watered-down dogs just because the general public can't handle them? This is reminiscent of the discussion here about "intense" GSDs and Mals. The general public should not own a Malinois, that is for **** sure. But that doesn't mean we should start breeding calm, laid-back Mals so that everyone can own their very own pointy-eared sewer rat.

God, pretty soon all we're going to have is a bunch of Golden Retrievers in different fur suits that everyone can take to the dog park for social hour.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Roflmao @ pointy eared sewer rat. I love this breed, an better yet I love owners like you. you have to have a **** good sense of humor to own these dogs. (both breeds)
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.