Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog Running Speeds

So, Jackson has this thing that he LOVES doing. My dad has four wheelers/ATV's at his house and when me and my brother drive by the fence, he chases us as FAST as he can. I know this is probably a bad habit to start but he just loves it and gets so much exercise this way, lol. He also doesn't do the chasing of vehicle-thing outside of the fence.

So anyways, I drove right beside him today and he was running 23-24MPH at his fastest. Slowest was usually right at 20MPH. Is this pretty fast for a 16lb dog? It always seemed pretty fast to me driving beside him. What is the average speed of a Greyhound, for example?

Jackson's typically the fastest little dog at the dog park, unless some kind of Italian Greyhound comes in, and the JRT's sometimes out run him. But yeah, he's pretty darn fast when he wants to be.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Fishies!

Its hard to say reliably. The fastest I've clocked Buster, or Ruby is near 20. Everything suggests that Labs of her type and BC types should go faster, and they certainly outrun anything they see, but I can't get a good record of it.

I would check your speedometer against a gps though. They are known to be off a bit on those. At 20, mine are fully extended so the only place to go for more speed is moving the legs faster. I have a bit of a hard time seeing your little dogs legs doing that!

Maybe I'll tie a gps to Ruby.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Sport Model Pug

There's a GPS app on iPhones that you could use if he has a backpack or a secure harness vest with a secured pocket. I can't remember what it's called but i believe it's $1.99 or something, measures distance, top speed, average speed, slowest speed, etc. Gives you a little chart too lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Could always just mark off a 100' stretch or similar, get him going so he's top speed when he crosses the start, and time or video him from one flag to the other. Do it a few times (on different days if he tires) and average them for a fairly accurate top speed.

A little cheaper than tying a GPS to him. Or maybe that's just me picturing my girls diving into the creek with it after the dash...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
What is the average speed of a Greyhound, for example?
Greyhounds can hit 40-45mph, apparently. Whippets at 35.

http://mistupid.com/animals/speeds.htm
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/greyhound.htm

I'd be curious to see how fast Lucy runs. At the dog park, she runs fast--but more importantly, she runs smart. When she's chasing a bigger dog than she herself, she's a master at cutting corners and dodging obstacles to catch the offender
Old 11-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
There's a GPS app on iPhones that you could use if he has a backpack or a secure harness vest with a secured pocket. I can't remember what it's called but i believe it's $1.99 or something, measures distance, top speed, average speed, slowest speed, etc. Gives you a little chart too lol.
Haha, that's a good idea! I may just do that.

I was doing some googling and read on three sites that a JRT can run 20-30mph, so it may be about right with him going approx. 20mph? Anyone know how accurate that is with JRT's?

I should add also it's more of a sprint. He gets REALLY fast but it's only for about 10-20 seconds when I ride by the fence.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Greyhounds can hit 40-45mph, apparently. Whippets at 35.

http://mistupid.com/animals/speeds.htm
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/greyhound.htm

I'd be curious to see how fast Lucy runs. At the dog park, she runs fast--but more importantly, she runs smart. When she's chasing a bigger dog than she herself, she's a master at cutting corners and dodging obstacles to catch the offender
LOL, Jackson does this too. He's sooo good at leaping over top of dogs who get in front of him, or doing a really quick cut to switch into a new direction, haha.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I keep saying these lure sport events should use speed guns. It'd be a blast to know what my dogs run!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Felurian

I once clocked Shiva at 35 mph running alongside the car (I'd TOLD Charley to keep her in the house until I was gone!) for several hundred yards before I figured she wasn't going to give up, stopped, let her in the car and took her back to the farmhouse and put her inside.

Shiva was the slowest of the three Filas.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I can't say I've clocked her, but I do know that Xena is faster than the local border collies. More agile in the turns, too. So take your average BC speed and add a few MPH for her.