Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Training the Trainer

Default Can a new pup cause an older dog to break good training?

Ruby has been toilet-trained for months, now. But since we got Chester whenever she's inside she just seems to think it's ok to wee on the floor again. She's done it three times since we had him.

Is this because she sees him doing it (not properly house-trained yet) and therefore thinks that it's ok?

Also, she has started barking to get his, and our, attention. Ruby has never been a barker, and doesn't really much now even still, but we have noticed and Chester is a very vocal little chap who barks a lot to express his emotions.

How would we combat this backsliding? She obviously observes his behaviour and then starts exhibiting it on her own. But she is a very well-trained puppy (six months old now) and we do not want our hard work to be undone...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

Is this because she sees him doing it (not properly house-trained yet) and therefore thinks that it's ok?

Yes, she is also smelling where the pup went and probably marking. You'll just have to do your best to prevent accidents with both of them....watch them both like a hawk and clean that up with Nature's Miracle.

My opinion is that yes, your new puppy can influence your older dog's behavior to a degree. Monkey see, monkey do. Plus, your puppy is a new comer and Ruby is probably fascinated with having this new guy in the house. One barks and the other joins in. They're dogs being dogs but you can teach them. I encourage you to spend some time with each individually...for a walk and a little training time....one on one.

All kinds of little behaviors are bound to come up or change due to the change in the family group. You will see all kinds of differences with multiple dogs from having a single dog. Some behaviors are fun and interesting and some are downright a pain in the rear. LOL.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Big Dog

I agree w/ the previous poster. I also wanted to add another thought, it sounds like it could also be regression like kids do. You know, sometimes for example your toddler is potty trained and you bring home a new baby and then the toddler starts wetting their pants all over again etc... Hope this help!

Jamie
Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the previous poster too. LOL. They definitely often relapse anyhow. Yes, just when you really start trusting them, after they've been so good for a few weeks and then whamo! You've got a boo boo on your carpet. Grrrr....the joys of puppies.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Training the Trainer

Well, it seems as though it only happened once or twice. Ruby still goes to the back door when she's ready to pee (or otherwise) and waits until she's outside. I think it was just those first couple of days where she got a bit excited! They're finally sleeping together now, too - last night we bit the bullet and decided to leave them both in the lounge together to see what would happen. They slept like babies the whole night through - not a whisper - and there were no messes to clean up this morning! Woo hoo!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Big Dog

one of many why reasons you shouldnt get the second dog untill the first one has had time to mature ( around the age of 2 depending on the breed )
My oldest was under a year when we got Quira ( we had to get her out of her old home and fell in love )
A dog who hasnt had time to figure out how things work easily pick up bad habits from other dogs in the household.
For Rocco that was chewing ( he was newer a big chewer and now we dont have a singel sock without holes in it lol )
For Quira it was jumping on ppl ( Rocco is a jumper )

never again will i get two dogs that are close in age.

OBS I love them both to death and they are perfect ( just the way they are *S* )

Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
I encourage you to spend some time with each individually...for a walk and a little training time....one on one.

You will see all kinds of differences with multiple dogs from having a single dog. Some behaviors are fun and interesting and some are downright a pain in the rear. LOL.
^^ So true

Since they are both young, odds are they are going to grow up and your household is going to be a very close pack. Teaching them will be different as they will often act together, whether they are acting out or acting like angels. It is important to teach them both, but it is even more important to teach them individually, and then reinforce when they are together. I suggest socializing and training one-on-one. It's more than okay to leave one at home and take the other for socialization and then take turns. Its important they know individually so when they are apart, whether planned or incidental, you can still count on them listening to you without them having anxiety from the being the only dog. Even if you plan on them being together every second of the day I guarantee you will be glad you did this if something was to ever happen. Its much easier to raise them this way than to try and fix it when its nearly too late ( trust me, I'd know :P )
Good Luck with your pups & keep us updated!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88
^^ So true

Since they are both young, odds are they are going to grow up and your household is going to be a very close pack. Teaching them will be different as they will often act together, whether they are acting out or acting like angels. It is important to teach them both, but it is even more important to teach them individually, and then reinforce when they are together. I suggest socializing and training one-on-one. It's more than okay to leave one at home and take the other for socialization and then take turns. Its important they know individually so when they are apart, whether planned or incidental, you can still count on them listening to you without them having anxiety from the being the only dog. Even if you plan on them being together every second of the day I guarantee you will be glad you did this if something was to ever happen. Its much easier to raise them this way than to try and fix it when its nearly too late ( trust me, I'd know :P )
Good Luck with your pups & keep us updated!
Tell me about it!! Lol... When we had our GSD brothers, (this is when I was still married) my ex-husband thought he was the world authority on dogs, and the boys spent every waking second of their lives together. The first time we took them to puppy obedience classes I have never been so embarrassed - they had never been separated and they whined and cried and wouldn't concentrate and we just looked like idiots. They were never apart and it really freaked them out when they had to be.

I told Max about that before we got Chester, and we agreed that our dogs would not be spending every second together for just this reason. They have extended periods of time when they are apart from each other, either alone or with us - and we do take it in turns. We are teaching them that one can be with us without the other (it's not easy on them but they're very good) and also that they can be alone apart, and together alone, and together with us. We train them separately and as Chester is just starting his walks, we walk them separately too - taking it in turns who goes with who. We want two individual, well-adjusted, happy dogs without separation anxiety. So far it's going very well, too, and we are lucky they are both so young so it's pretty easy to manage.

We got Chester before we were really ready for another dog - we wanted to wait until Ruby was at least one - but we felt that for her, it would be the best thing to do because she was lonely a lot of the time while we were at work. We spent all our time with her otherwise but we thought a little puppy companion would be ideal. And it has really paid off - she is much calmer and more, well, `serene', since we got Chester. All of the beautiful aspects of her personality are shining and all of the less desirable ones are disappearing. She is much happier, and as a result, so are we.

We DO have a tight little pack family - the dogs, the cats and us - and it's nice, but it's hard work!!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Top Dog

Sounds like things are working out ..... good luck !! Fun isn't it !!! LOL!!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/