Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Top Dog

Default I was browsing at the pet store today...

...and I realized there are a TON of kibbles I can add into the rotation. I never realized how cheap some of them are. TOTW is around $50 a bag at TSC now, but I get it at a pretty good discount from my brother - I can also get Nutrisource and PureVita at a discount.

Anyway, I think when I decided to feed TOTW it was the only affordable, grain-free food at the pet store I went to. That store is pretty small...they have TOTW, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup, Nutrisource, PureVita and EaglePak and that's about it. Today I went to the other local pet shop (which has 3 locations now, woot!) and was browsing while I bought Tango's food. I know there are a few types of Nutrisource grain free, PureVita grain free, a couple types of Pinnacle grain free, at least one type of Acana, and at least one type of Nature's Variety Instinct that are all in the $40-$50 per bag price range (bag size ranges from 23# to 35#). Some are actually even cheaper than TOTW. And I think there are a couple varieties of Fromm grain-free and possibly Evanger's grain-free that might fit too.

Sooooo...now I'm ridiculously excited about setting up a new rotation. I'm going to email companies and see abotu samples, and set up a list of foods I want in the rotation. And then set up a set rotation, and I plan to have at least 1-2 extra bags at any one time in case I don't realize I'm running low in time to get the right food (has happened more than once...). And as pathetic as it is, it sounds like fun At least I have something to have fun with until I can switch to raw
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Twin 2.0

When I feed kibble, I love love love Nature's Variety INSTINCT, especially the duck, rabbit, and beef formulas. Haven't tried the fish and Sawyer has decided he doesn't do so hot on chicken-based kibbles anymore (though raw is still fine).
Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I love love love Nature's Variety INSTINCT, especially the duck, rabbit, and beef formulas
Chicken is the only one that is in my price range, and just barely - 23ish pounds for $50. But mine do just fine on any protein source, so we'll use it Can't say chicken's my favorite, but it works lol.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 PM
*Now with Snark*

The grain free trend seems to be catching on. It's a good thing. ^.^ I hope with a little more time and competition more affordable varieties will emerge like the Costco Nature's Domain stuff.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
When I feed kibble, I love love love Nature's Variety INSTINCT...
True story bro. Frodo is on Nature's Variety Instinct right now (first time in years) and he looks better now than I have ever seen him. Even though it is one of the only bags that I can't get for free, I am thinking that as long as I can afford to I will just buy them on my own dime to keep him looking/feeling this good.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.