Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Duuuuude.

Default Would you buy from a breeder who uses kennels?

I'm just curious. A while back I visited an Aussie breeder that was producing the sort of dogs I liked at the time. I found her to be helpful and knowledgable and her dogs were happy, well-socialized and well taken care of. She also ran a boarding facility in which her own dogs stayed. These dogs weren't languishing in kennels; they were taken out and worked with every day. The breeder lived on a large plot of land that her dogs got to take advantage of. The kennels were right across the driveway from her house. In theory I don't see this as being unethical, but I found I just couldn't let go of the fact the dogs weren't strictly house dogs (although they got access to the house during the day, too.)

I think the biggest issue for me was that they had two litters on the ground and the pups were living in the kennel, too. As I said, their adults all seemed very well-socialized so I'm sure they were putting in all the necessary work with the pups to give them a good start, but... well, I guess I'd rather see pups raised "underfoot". I'd want to bring a pup home to a new but familiar environment. I would guess that the pups got house time just like the adults, although it's been long enough now that I can't remember.

So my question is, would you be comfortable buying from a breeder whose dogs aren't all kept in the house? Would certain variables effect your decision (ie, it might be okay for some breeds but not ideal for companion breeds?) I'm curious to see what y'all think.

edit: Ack, meant to post this in the Breeding Ground, sorry!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Obey the Toad.

If I were looking at a lab breeder I would definitely prefer one that had the dogs in the house. I want my pup to be well socialized with all the goings on of a household when I bring him home.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Top Dog

Hmmm... I think if the breeder was 110% perfect in every other way, it wouldn't be a deal breaker...but it might also depend on what I wanted the dog for.

Years ago, most dogs lived outside. Just like today, some were probably neglected, undersocialized, understimulated, and some were probably perfectly well adapted and cared for properly. Today...it's not considered the norm to have dogs live in kennels, but I don't see a huge problem with it. I want my dogs to be part of the family, and not just a working partner....I want them lying under the table at dinnertime, and snuggling on the couch while we watch tv, etc...but I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping a dog in a kennel, and I'd consider getting a dog from someone who did.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup came from a breeder who raised dogs in outside kennel runs. The breeder laughed at me when I said I would make him a house pet and well.. she should still be laughing.

He came to me without any knowledge or respect of home living at 8 months old and that is a rough thing to train at that age.

I would do it again though, she still knew her dogs inside and out which is what I wanted. Plus she tested, trained, and proved her dogs prior to breeding and put foundation on all puppies.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Knox and Apollo both came from a breeder who raises dogs in a kennel. Apollo was purchased at 4 months old, and was the best dog I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Knox I got at a year and a half, and he's got his own issues, but she knew exactly what I wanted in a dog and he's **** close right now.

She puts a foundation on all of her dogs and they're all extremely well socialized with people and other dogs. His head is full of fluff, but that's just his personality
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

<---- knows full of fluff heads... Something about them is so damned irresistible. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Yeah, he's definitely a charmer, but his head is nothing but fluff
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Water Junkie

Oh, definitely! Actually, already have. And would do it again in a heart beat.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Just try me..

Sure. Its not like a puppy raised in a kennel is going to be hugely different than one raised in a kitchen if the owners are socializing them.

Getting an older dog is different. Seren spent most of her life in a kennel (the keep dogs in kennels but raise puppies in their house). The time spent in the house almost 2 years ago didn't seem to make an impression lol. Its been a tricky go of it with her with somethings. Still if I really liked the dog and breeder I wouldn't hesitate.

That said almost every JRT breeder I like uses kennels, even if they rotate the dogs through the house as JRTs can be nasty lol.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

i'll go you one better (or worse depending), the dogo breeder i will eventually import from only keeps the "house" dogs in kennels. the dogos at the estancia are kept on chains when not hunting.