Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I figure this is a better cure for the 'want new pets' phase I'm going through than bringing home a puppy.
SAME!

Can't wait to see the finished tank. I haven't gotten into the planted tanks yet, so it's interesting to me.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

I'll be following this thread closely: over the next couple months I plan on setting up a betta tank for my bedroom, and wanted to have it full of live plants, with a soil substrate. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Fish are addictive.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm All Ears

So far I've bought the flourite, heater, and the filter. C02 booster, Flourish. My lamp I used over it broke so I need to find another. I'm going to try to set up this week or next weekend.

I'm still stumped on the hood. I think I'm going to find a glass top though.

There was the prettiest betta at Petsmart! I wanted to buy it then set up the tank but knew that was a bad idea. He was blue with completely yellow fins. So tempting. The petsmart here has started selling a lot nicer bettas recently.

ETA: Apparently it's called mustard gas: mustard gas betta fish - Google Search

Seems unusual for Petsmart, doesn't it? I should have gotten him!!! I'm kicking myself now!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
WookieePups

Yes, Bettas have been known to be jumpers, which is why it's always good to take precautionary measures to ensure that they do not jump out of your aquarium when you aren't looking. Good luck with finding a hood or with making one.. just be careful, because there's a reason as to why many folks keep Bettas in tanks, vases and bowls that are left open. In fact, most people think of a betta fish tank as a vase or an open gold fish bowls. Bettas need to have access to the surface in order to breathe properly. They have special respiratory organs on the top of their heads.

As for adding shrimp.. I'm curious to find out how it works out. We've had shrimp and bettas before, but never together. Good luck with everything!!!