Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks Milo.
I definitely agree with your last sentence in your last post.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Oh btw, Jessie, I FREAKING LOVE TUCKER.
He is defintely one of the most unique colors I've seen for a Chi (or probably any breed). And he is long haired <3
Thanks!

He's a blue tricolor... I LOVE the look of him. The funny thing is, both of his parents were short coats, but 3 out of 4 of his litter ended up with SUPER fluffy blue coats.

I do love the ease of being able to travel with them. We can pack up my TSX or Ian's RSX-s with all FIVE of our dogs for trips!

Holding Emma literally feels like holding nothing- she's our smallest at 3lbs. Chloe weighs 7.5lbs and is still very easy to carry around. Super portable dogs. If you're planning on doing any air travel with yours, be sure to check out Pet Flys travel bags- they're really, really cute.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Thanks!

He's a blue tricolor... I LOVE the look of him. The funny thing is, both of his parents were short coats, but 3 out of 4 of his litter ended up with SUPER fluffy blue coats.

I do love the ease of being able to travel with them. We can pack up my TSX or Ian's RSX-s with all FIVE of our dogs for trips!

Holding Emma literally feels like holding nothing- she's our smallest at 3lbs. Chloe weighs 7.5lbs and is still very easy to carry around. Super portable dogs. If you're planning on doing any air travel with yours, be sure to check out Pet Flys travel bags- they're really, really cute.
Air travel will not be an all the time thing she all of my family is in GA and I love driving vs flying. The only time I might need to fly is to Indiana to see TJ's family or if we decide to take a random trip somewhere but that won't be for probably years lol. But again, I'd much rather drive from here to freakin Alaska than fly lol.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Ok I know this is going to be an insanely DUMB question, but what is the difference in a Pap and Chi? Other than physical appearances. I actually heard someone over talking at a petsmart a few years ago and I quote "Paps and Chis are one in the same, Paps just have big ears" And I thought to myself, granted I don't know jack sh!t about either breed but I do NOT think for one second they are "one in the same".
This notion drives me absolutely batty! I hear it so often that papillons = chihuahuas = pomeranians... it's really bizarre how everyone thinks that. To me it's like saying a dalmatian is the same thing as a lab and a hound because they're roughly a similar size and shape.

The easiest thing for me is that papillons are of spaniel ancestry, chihuahuas are terrier-like (modern chihuahuas probably have terrier ancestry), and pomeranians are spitz type dogs. So there's quite a bit of difference in them because of differing family trees.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
This notion drives me absolutely batty! I hear it so often that papillons = chihuahuas = pomeranians... it's really bizarre how everyone thinks that. To me it's like saying a dalmatian is the same thing as a lab and a hound because they're roughly a similar size and shape.

The easiest thing for me is that papillons are of spaniel ancestry, chihuahuas are terrier-like (modern chihuahuas probably have terrier ancestry), and pomeranians are spitz type dogs. So there's quite a bit of difference in them because of differing family trees.
Thanks Laur.
Poms are VERY adorable but I don't like "fluffy" hair, but I like long/thick coats (if that makes sense).
Paps are adorable but I don't think they would be the dog for me, though your dogs are AH-DORABLE!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Yep, that bothers me a lot as well. People seem to lump toy breeds together and they're definitely not the same!

Chihuahuas are very terrier-like, and I think a lot of people just don't realize that. They are definitely BIG dogs in SMALL bodies... fiesty, alert, over confident...

From the AKC website:

Quote:
Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size. The breed can be any color solid, marked or splashed and the coat may be long or short.

A graceful, alert, swift-moving compact little dog with saucy expression, and with terrier-like qualities of temperament.