Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Kotah BEAR

Aw Fran, gah Romeo is freakin' adorable. He looks like he could go for hours playing lol <3
Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I just want you all to know that every time I see this thread title I hear the song from Beverly Hills Chihuahua...
what can make you move? CHIHUAHUA can you feel the groove? CHIHUAHUA

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Hi!

I have 4 chihuahuas and they are my favorite breed.

Three out of my four are VERY active. They can all go on long hikes and will go as far as I will take them. Tucker especially loves when we go to TN and can hike in the snow.

They're small... but are definitely far from delicate. In a lot of ways they remind me of terriers. They're very intelligent, definitely trainable, but not as biddable as Rory (my border collie). Rylie can break out of her crate within 5 minutes of being locked in it. They're good problem solvers.

All of mine are also big into jumping... and their favorite places are the tops of the couches. FAR from delicate dogs.

I wouldn't say they're one person dogs at all. They will equally love on both my husband and I. They are definitely lap dogs and want to be with you ALL THE TIME. They follow me into the bathroom. My lap is never free!

They also love to burrow under blankets- especially the short coated ones! Be careful where you sit Mine all sleep under the covers in my bed at night as well.

They're generally a healthy breed, and very long lived. Average life expectancy is 12-20 years. Common health issues are luxating patella (find a breeder who health tests) and collapsing trachea (use a harness when walking them).

Rory is my barkiest dog... so chihuahuas aren't as "yappy" as their reputation says! Rylie likes to bark out the window. Haha. The others will only bark if there's a noise to alert them.

Breed standard calls for 2-6lbs. Most often you'll find them weighing 4-7lbs. There are only two types of chihuahuas- long coats and short coats. Like I said, they are STURDY dogs for being so small!

I had typed up more, but Chaz ate it... so if you have any questions just feel free to ask!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

I feel like an athletic breed might be better for you. Regardless of activity level, they have short legs and I feel like keeping up with you for a long period of time might be hard for them. Like I said, Tucker's fast, fun, playful, and very busy but when it comes to just GOING for a long time he starts to lag and wants to rest, I beat him at endurance. And he's 16 pounds. Though I am sure conditioning has a lot to do with endurance too...it's hard to say.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Chihuahua Power!

And pictures!

Breed standard calls for an apple domed head... which has a 90 degree angle from the snout to the forehead. Chihuahuas often have moleras... which are small soft spots on the tops of their skulls.

For example, Rylie:

20060105-DSC_4145 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Tucker LOVES snow! He gets SO excited about it!

Eating Snow by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Chihuahuas can fly. Emma is constantly jumping on everything and the world is her jungle gym.

The Flight by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Chihuahuas come in an amazingly awesome assortment of colors and markings. Blues, chocolates, fawns, creams, brindles, reds, tri colors, parti colors, etc, etc. Chloe is white with blue merle markings.

20060105-DSC_4127 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr
Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Jessie, out of curiosity, what do you mean by "long hikes"? As in, how many miles, over what sort of terrain, etc?

I think for the average athletic family, a chihuahua would be a fine match, but the ones I've known just have not been cut out of any kind of extreme sports or intense hiking, but that could either be breeding or that they're simply not used to it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Jessie, out of curiosity, what do you mean by "long hikes"? As in, how many miles, over what sort of terrain, etc?

I think for the average athletic family, a chihuahua would be a fine match, but the ones I've known just have not been cut out of any kind of extreme sports or intense hiking, but that could either be breeding or that they're simply not used to it.
Our average "walks" are ~3 miles (a few times a week). They've been on ~5 mile long hikes (I'd consider those to be long ) through Florida terrain which is generally flat and somewhat muddy. In TN, in the snow, Tucker's made it ~2-3 miles and still wanted to keep going in the end. Terrain is hilly and snowy with lots to climb over in the Smokies.

Does this help?

Of course they aren't going to have the endurance of breeds more suited to athletic activities, but they LOVE walks/hikes and can keep up with a lot of breeds (at least breeds under 20 lbs).
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I just want you all to know that every time I see this thread title I hear the song from Beverly Hills Chihuahua...
what can make you move? CHIHUAHUA can you feel the groove? CHIHUAHUA
ME TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Hi!

I have 4 chihuahuas and they are my favorite breed.

Three out of my four are VERY active. They can all go on long hikes and will go as far as I will take them. Tucker especially loves when we go to TN and can hike in the snow.

They're small... but are definitely far from delicate. In a lot of ways they remind me of terriers. They're very intelligent, definitely trainable, but not as biddable as Rory (my border collie). Rylie can break out of her crate within 5 minutes of being locked in it. They're good problem solvers.

All of mine are also big into jumping... and their favorite places are the tops of the couches. FAR from delicate dogs.

I wouldn't say they're one person dogs at all. They will equally love on both my husband and I. They are definitely lap dogs and want to be with you ALL THE TIME. They follow me into the bathroom. My lap is never free!

They also love to burrow under blankets- especially the short coated ones! Be careful where you sit Mine all sleep under the covers in my bed at night as well.

They're generally a healthy breed, and very long lived. Average life expectancy is 12-20 years. Common health issues are luxating patella (find a breeder who health tests) and collapsing trachea (use a harness when walking them).

Rory is my barkiest dog... so chihuahuas aren't as "yappy" as their reputation says! Rylie likes to bark out the window. Haha. The others will only bark if there's a noise to alert them.

Breed standard calls for 2-6lbs. Most often you'll find them weighing 4-7lbs. There are only two types of chihuahuas- long coats and short coats. Like I said, they are STURDY dogs for being so small!

I had typed up more, but Chaz ate it... so if you have any questions just feel free to ask!
Thank you for the info!
I want a Chi to be about 4-7 lbs full grown, if possibly 5-6 lbs.
Like I said, I love their size and everything, I'm just worried about them matching up to my activity level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I feel like an athletic breed might be better for you. Regardless of activity level, they have short legs and I feel like keeping up with you for a long period of time might be hard for them. Like I said, Tucker's fast, fun, playful, and very busy but when it comes to just GOING for a long time he starts to lag and wants to rest, I beat him at endurance. And he's 16 pounds. Though I am sure conditioning has a lot to do with endurance too...it's hard to say.
Just wondering, but what breed might you have in mind?
I will probably create another thread asking that later.
Because a dog that is trainable, reliable off leash, and has an energy level to keep up with me, is a HUGE thing. Plus being able to travel, but I think that falls under the training category.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Kotah BEAR

Oh btw, Jessie, I FREAKING LOVE TUCKER.
He is defintely one of the most unique colors I've seen for a Chi (or probably any breed). And he is long haired <3
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Jessie!

I usually walk at least 5 (6 or 7 isn't uncommon) miles per day in NYC in the summer...last month I hiked 3 miles which was entirely up and down stairs at some waterfalls. I do definitely plan on adding a chihuahua at some point, though...maybe sooner rather than later. For me, the perks (ability to travel on public transportation) outweighs the fact that they might be a little too small to keep up. As said, if a chihuahua gets tired on a hike, they aren't so hard to carry the rest of the way But it is good to put in perspective when you're used to larger athletic dogs.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com