Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

Popcorn handles aggression with aggression too. That's why I said the breed is a bit more confrontational than some. If a dog snarls at him or charges at him, he'll charge and snarl back or snap. So does the smooth Chi my other aunt has. She's scared of strangers so if strangers approach her really fast and she's scared, she doesn't try to hide or move away, she snarls and bares teeth. She's a rescue though so we don't know what happened to her before. We didn't get her until 5 years old.

If a dog snarls or charges at Nia, she'll run and scream while running away or she'll flip over to appease (if they're only growling or snarling not charging her).
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

No we don't know what he's mixed with, both parents look primarily Chi (assuming the mom's "boyfriend" was the actual dad), but Tucker definitely look like he has something else. My best guess is some Dachshund, maybe terrier, maybe spaniel (though can't see that in parents at all)...yeah we don't know.

In case you want to venture a guess...
Here are the parents

and pics of Tucker and his brother:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t136024/

He also does the same sort of thing with other animals. If he is annoying a cat and the cat swats and hurts him he goes at the cat more roughly. I remember we were in a pet store during an adoption event and a small dog in a puppy pen charged and barked at Tucker when he came near and Tucker leapt back then ran back at the fence (at which point I dragged him away). I don't know if he'd seriously do anything or if he's bluffing though. Yet then there have been times when dogs have snapped and lunged at him and he doesn't notice or he initiates play, so I don't know what's going on in that noggin.

It's hard to say if he's soft. He doesn't care about yelling, if you make a loud noise he'll take notice and stop what he's doing but it doesn't upset or punish him, just interrupts. But he also doesn't forget when you have upset him. My dad is by far the most likely to physically punish Tucker (hits him with his hat, shoves him away from things he isn't supposed to be doing) and Tucker has almost no relationship with him whatsoever. In the last month or so Tucker has become fearful of my uncle. Not the same as he is with strangers (no aggression) but he won't go near him. My uncle is the type who believes dogs learn through being hit, scruff shaked, etc. and I know Tucker has a bad jumping up problem on those he likes. I would bet you uncle punished him for it without even thinking about it because it's just what he does, and Tucker has lost all his trust in him. It's really strange, especially since uncle didn't mention he did anything (and I didn't ask, it'd offend him). There was also a period of a few weeks where my brother's girlfriend stopped paying much attention to Tucker for some reason (maybe found him obnoxious) and Tucker completely stopped associating with her for like a month. He wouldn't get excited when she came over, wouldn't come over to her if she called him to get petting. Nope, you ignored him, he's ignoring you.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Dakotah, Im sorry I thought you wanted a dog?? Its a well known fact Chis are not infact dogs. DNA Study Finds Chihuahuas Aren't Dogs - The Watley Review

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

Romeo is in fact, a dinosaur.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Dakotah, Im sorry I thought you wanted a dog?? Its a well known fact Chis are not infact dogs. DNA Study Finds Chihuahuas Aren't Dogs - The Watley Review
Lol that was funny.

But seriously, I actually know a woman who won't own ANY kind of toy breed because she believes them to be "overly large rodents". Still makes me laugh til this day.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Dont worry Dakotah, at the last dog show I met someone who told me how to train Solo in a special way since dogs can actually see into your brain and read your thoughts. She was dead serious, ask Hayley. You would have been proud of me, I kept a strait face. LOL

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Dont worry Dakotah, at the last dog show I met someone who told me how to train Solo in a special way since dogs can actually see into your brain and read your thoughts. She was dead serious, ask Hayley. You would have been proud of me, I kept a strait face. LOL
I am proud of you, cause I would of laughed my butt off
Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Chis are very very snuggly and cuddly and love to be held or crawl into people's laps. Our Popcorn is so snuggly that he's practically a parasite growing on my aunt's body. He tries to get on her lap when she's on the toilet! O_O Very clingy dogs.
This. XD Chloe's the same way.

But I'll say that Chloe doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. She's never bitten anyone or fought with any dog. That said, she will snap at Violet if she hurts her while trying to play with her, but she doesn't carry through, or try to "attack" Violet at all, the way my Yorkies would. She just lets her know "OW!! QUIT IT!" And Violet's the only dog she ever "corrects" that way. Since she's her little sister and all.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Kotah BEAR

I keep going back and forth about these little dogs.
I love everything about them, but I am so scared of hurting them, as I am use to large dogs. I am a fast walker, I talk with my hands, and I love to hiking in the woods/trails/mountains.
Now, as long as they can handle the activity aspect of it, I am down for one.
But seriously who can resist that face and the long haired ones are to.die.for!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Are you looking for a breeder pup or rescue one? I know there are quire a few larger Chis (8-10 lbs) in rescues that may be a good fit if you're scared of hurting them.

I'm not sure if breeders have larger pups as much, I'm sure sure they do occasionally but most of the breeder pups I've met are between 3-6 lbs.

To be honest, they're not as fragile as they look and they have no problems with fast walkers or hiking. The only thing I can caution is be careful of bears and eagles that sometimes take small dogs. Actually at one of our dog parks, a small Chi was taken away by some kind of eagle type bird and it was in the newspaper...

Other than that I don't see any problems with the activities you want to do.