Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
One of the best thing for me with Coco was that her size allows me to take her alot of place's!This was important for socializing and also she is a GREAT traveler,I pull out a blanket and say "bed" and that's her home.

One thing I would say is I'm not sure I would have SUCH a small dog in the future....I didn't expect her to be this tiny...saying that I've met Chi's SMALLER then her(and full grown)her size does make it her hard for her to meet other dog's and I am always thinking about her safety.
I can trust her off lead,she has great recall BUT I always have to be worried about another dog coming over...or her her going over to other dog's.She really REALLY need's another small dog she can buddy up with.
In red, this is HUGE plus for me, as I think I mentioned before. They are small enough to take on a plane, small enough to take up barely any room in a car, small enough to just pack up and go on a road trip, but also they are versatile enough to take walking, cycling, hiking, swimming, etc.
I want a small dog I can take anywhere and do anything with.
I know they are looked at as "Paris Hilton accessory dogs" but I think of them as large dogs in little bodies that can do about anything as a Lab (as said before).
I LOVE the long haired ones, that'd be the only kind I would get.

The more and more I hear and read about Chis, the more I want one. My boyfriend is by far not a small dog person, and I never thought I was either, until I got more into Chis. Other than Chis, I would probably never own a dog smaller than 40-50 lbs full grown. That is a BIG difference in weight but come on, Chis are freakin adorable.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

We have one that's my aunt's dog, he's a LH Chi.

In terms of temperament, he's definitely not as biddable as my Pap but he's very smart. He can figure out a lot of things or ways to get food in cupboards, in tables, etc. He's very sneaky as well. He doesn't pay attention well while learning tricks haha so he's harder to teach in general.

He doesn't bark too too much, probably a 4/10.

He's pretty energetic in bursts but he doesn't have as much endurance and stamina as Nia even though we've been trying to build it up since he was a pup. He gets really tired after a 1-2 hour walk/run.

He's very food motivated but doesn't have much toy drive and actually most of the Chihuahuas I've met don't have too great of a toy drive.

Chis are very very snuggly and cuddly and love to be held or crawl into people's laps. Our Popcorn is so snuggly that he's practically a parasite growing on my aunt's body. He tries to get on her lap when she's on the toilet! O_O Very clingy dogs.

Other than that, some don't like big dogs very much and they are prone to wariness of dogs and strangers so lots of socialization when they're young! Lots and lots! I find the ones I've met to be more confrontational than Papillons or Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. If agitated or scared they're more prone to biting I feel like. Most Papillons I know try their absolute hardest to avoid conflict and hide instead of snapping.

That's about all I can think of right now, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Cloudcandy

Defintly here ya on the big dog in a little body.I have yet to meet a proper dog "chihuahua" unfortuantly in my area they seem to be pampered and not to be walked(seriously)
Not sure if this is a "chi" trait but Coco is 100% dog,I'm guessing it could be the JRT part that brings her fiestyness but she is defintly a proper little dog,she's up for any challenge and loves walking etc.Swimming.not so much(but she jas only done that in tge freezing english sea!)
If your looking for a travell companion then you should defintly consider a chi,from what me and Coco have done so far it's been great!Having a dog that takes up minimul space is perfect.
Having said all that she is my little baby at heart...she snuggles up to me all evening on tbe sofa,when she's tired of walking she jumps up to.my knees and I scoop her up!
She does somehow take up a rather substansial space in bed somehow!!!!O...and we have not squashed her yet!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
We have one that's my aunt's dog, he's a LH Chi.

In terms of temperament, he's definitely not as biddable as my Pap but he's very smart. He can figure out a lot of things or ways to get food in cupboards, in tables, etc. He's very sneaky as well. He doesn't pay attention well while learning tricks haha so he's harder to teach in general.

He doesn't bark too too much, probably a 4/10.

He's pretty energetic in bursts but he doesn't have as much endurance and stamina as Nia even though we've been trying to build it up since he was a pup. He gets really tired after a 1-2 hour walk/run.

He's very food motivated but doesn't have much toy drive and actually most of the Chihuahuas I've met don't have too great of a toy drive.

Chis are very very snuggly and cuddly and love to be held or crawl into people's laps. Our Popcorn is so snuggly that he's practically a parasite growing on my aunt's body. He tries to get on her lap when she's on the toilet! O_O Very clingy dogs.

Other than that, some don't like big dogs very much and they are prone to wariness of dogs and strangers so lots of socialization when they're young! Lots and lots! I find the ones I've met to be more confrontational than Papillons or Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. If agitated or scared they're more prone to biting I feel like. Most Papillons I know try their absolute hardest to avoid conflict and hide instead of snapping.

That's about all I can think of right now, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
Ok I know this is going to be an insanely DUMB question, but what is the difference in a Pap and Chi? Other than physical appearances. I actually heard someone over talking at a petsmart a few years ago and I quote "Paps and Chis are one in the same, Paps just have big ears" And I thought to myself, granted I don't know jack sh!t about either breed but I do NOT think for one second they are "one in the same".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
Defintly here ya on the big dog in a little body.I have yet to meet a proper dog "chihuahua" unfortuantly in my area they seem to be pampered and not to be walked(seriously)
Not sure if this is a "chi" trait but Coco is 100% dog,I'm guessing it could be the JRT part that brings her fiestyness but she is defintly a proper little dog,she's up for any challenge and loves walking etc.Swimming.not so much(but she jas only done that in tge freezing english sea!)
If your looking for a travell companion then you should defintly consider a chi,from what me and Coco have done so far it's been great!Having a dog that takes up minimul space is perfect.
Having said all that she is my little baby at heart...she snuggles up to me all evening on tbe sofa,when she's tired of walking she jumps up to.my knees and I scoop her up!
She does somehow take up a rather substansial space in bed somehow!!!!O...and we have not squashed her yet!
Aw that's so adorable!
I still love the traveling aspect of them.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

Chi's are..awesome.

Romeo is cuddly as all hell. He needs to be in a lap or snuggled or he isn't happy lol
He is very flexible energy level wise (more-so than paps/most toy breeds I believe) Wanna go run run run run at the park and train all day? Sure. Wanna sit around and watch grey's anatomy for 12 hours? that's cool too lol

Very portable. I travel with him all the time. Perfect on planes and in cars.

He is a healthy, sturdy little guy, even at 5 pounds. I play ROUGH with him and he doesn't mind lol FIND THE RIGHT BREEDER.

He is very social with ALL people.. socialization is key I think when it comes to that. HE LOVES me but he is happy to be cuddled and adored by anybody

Only health thing I find is teeth.. tiny jaws. ugh.

He is very smart and learns well but he isn't one of those dogs with a DRIVE to do anything. He is happy to learn some cute tricks or play some fetch but ehh, it's not all that interesting to him lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Chi's are..awesome.

Romeo is cuddly as all hell. He needs to be in a lap or snuggled or he isn't happy lol
He is very flexible energy level wise (more-so than paps/most toy breeds I believe) Wanna go run run run run at the park and train all day? Sure. Wanna sit around and watch grey's anatomy for 12 hours? that's cool too lol

Very portable. I travel with him all the time. Perfect on planes and in cars.

He is a healthy, sturdy little guy, even at 5 pounds. I play ROUGH with him and he doesn't mind lol FIND THE RIGHT BREEDER.

He is very social with ALL people.. socialization is key I think when it comes to that. HE LOVES me but he is happy to be cuddled and adored by anybody

Only health thing I find is teeth.. tiny jaws. ugh.

He is very smart and learns well but he isn't one of those dogs with a DRIVE to do anything. He is happy to learn some cute tricks or play some fetch but ehh, it's not all that interesting to him lol
I still remember when you introduced Romeo to Chaz, <3
Like I said, I'm going to look into Romeo's breeder. With Chis being so over populated and downsized even more than they need to be, this is not a breed I'd go lightly into picking a breeder.

Grey's Anatomy is ok, but I'd prefer a dog to endure Criminal Minds lol

The only down fall I can see about this breed is their teeth issues (which if taken care of, I wouldn't think it'd be to big of a deal), and their potty training issues (but I think that is just hearsay on the web).
Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Ok I know this is going to be an insanely DUMB question, but what is the difference in a Pap and Chi? Other than physical appearances. I actually heard someone over talking at a petsmart a few years ago and I quote "Paps and Chis are one in the same, Paps just have big ears" And I thought to myself, granted I don't know jack sh!t about either breed but I do NOT think for one second they are "one in the same".
To me, Paps and Chis are very very different dogs. I wouldn't say they are the same. Actually to me, a Maltese is more similar to a Chi than a Pap.

1. Biddability. Paps are a lot more biddable and more willing to please if you ask me. They're happy to learn something for some praise and the handler acting all happy. Our Chi doesn't care much about what I want, he cares about what's in it for him like food. Also Chis tend to lose their focus a bit faster than a Pap.

2. Sensitivity. Paps I find are softer dogs than Chis. They are so incredibly sensitive and a shout or even a mean look can make some of them shut down (like mine). When they think they're not doing something right in trick training, they can shut down or get really frustrated. Chis don't seem to be as sensitive and at least the 2 in our family don't mind being yelled at as much as the Paps.

3. Energy. Depending on the dog but I find most Papillons more energetic than Chihuahuas. Some of them need exercise and it's not negotiable! Nia needs at least an hour of flat out running preferably every day but at least once every other day or she becomes pretty destructive and annoying. Can't settle, paces, continuously drops tennis balls in front of me. Also Paps have amazing endurance. Nia went hiking for 5 hours over highly rocky terrain (she had to jump from rock to rock) and she was still going strong and showing no signs of wanting to stop. Although I'm sure she was pretty tired, she refuses to stop. Ever. Same with tennis balls, I have to watch how long she plays because in the heat, once she played so long that she was on the brink of suffering from heat stroke. She laid in the shake and was panting soooo much and wouldn't even get up when I called her. But if I threw the ball again, she'd still chase it. After that I've become very very careful in high heat. Whereas although Chis are energetic but they don't seem to absolutely need it. To them it seems like it's more important to just be with their person (ppl) and as long as they're with their person, they can still cuddle. Sometimes he's had weeks with a 30 min walk a day and he's fine. Nia would've been chewing through the walls by then.

4. Cuddliness. Chihuahuas live to cuddle and snuggle! Papillons will only do it when they're tired but not all day. Nia will rarely let you hold her for more than a few minutes unless it's the end of the day and she's really tired. She's not the cuddliest dog. If you're paying attention to her, her first response is to jump off, go look for the nearest toy and ask you to play play play.

5. Chihuahuas tend to be more wary than Papillons to new people and dogs I find unless they are socialized a LOT. I think this is one of the reasons why a lot of people see aggressive or snappy Chihuahuas. Their owners didn't know well enough to socialize them as much as they should've Papillons seem to be more prone to being pretty friendly with people (the girls can be DR to strange dogs) but they seem to be more prone to being friendly. Chihuahuas are confrontational, will bite when provoked but Papillons will only bite as a last resort while trying to hide or appease first. It also depends on the dog but as a whole, this is a trait I notice.

Edit: Now that you mentioned teeth. It's a HUGE PITA!! For both breeds!! Ugh! Nia gets brushed every single day, bully sticks 2 times a week, other chews all over the house and it's still hard to keep her teeth clean! Same with Chis. Their super tight lips and tiny mouth but huge teeth make all the disgusting stuff stick! I highly recommend brushing a lot. It's very easy for both breeds to have terrible teeth and need dentals/teeth pulled out.

I haven't had any problems potty training. Nia was pretty much potty trained by 7 months and I didn't get her until about 5.5 or 6 months old. I think her breeder probably did a really good job because she was practically potty trained when she came to me. She had no problems holding through the night at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thank you!
That answered a lot for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Another mutt here, but both his parents had Chi in them so I can describe Tucker for you. You'll have to look for the common thread between all of these dogs lol.

Tucker is fear aggressive towards strangers, not due to lack of socialization, he came to us this way at 10 weeks old (well not the aggression but the fear), therefore I believe it is genetic. I don't consider this a Chi thing, just a poor breeding thing.

He is great with dogs his size, LOVES to play and if he sees a dog on a walk he wants to go say hi. However he is not obsessive and if the other dog is disinterested he will stop attempting to play and will go back to whatever else he was doing. If the dog returns his invite to play then it's on! He reads dog body language very well and knows when a dog has had enough and won't push, though he seems unphased by being snapped or lunged at.
He gets nervous around playful large dogs (unless he already knows them). He doesn't become all out scared of them, he just jumps back if they move suddenly, but he goes right back to trying to sniff or socialize with them if they stop coming for him. This is a socialization problem I believe as the only dogs he really met as a pup were on leash, he never really learned to be chased or played with freely. Add the intimidating size of large dogs to the mix and it explained his weariness.

He has a high prey drive (ants, flies, mice, squirrel, bird, rabbit), though is able to live with our cats (though he does chase them and try to use them as toys). He is SUPER playful, likes roughhousing, fetch, tug, chase, whatever. He is also really fast, nearly every time I go to the park and he plays with someone's dog I get comments about his speed. He is a VERY fun dog. If he wasn't scared of strangers he'd probably make a good sport dog.

He is very cuddly, follows his person from room to room, likes to get full body massages, HATES being alone. He has no problem having paws, mouth, ears, etc. handled. He does have some guarding tendencies, not of his own food/toys/treats but of stolen things and the couch (not you sitting on it, but you trying to move him off of it or get him to move over). I don't know if I'd call him a one person dog, he certainly makes it clear who his favorite is (because hat's who he follows from room to room) but he greets everyone at the door enthusiastically and is happy to get cuddles and pets from whoever invites him to. But when they're done he'll go back to his favorite.

He is moderate energy. Sometimes I think of it as high, but he doesn't have great endurance, he couldn't handle a super long walk or anything, but he isn't still very often. He doesn't just lie down and chill out, he has to be busy. Luckily as he's aged he's learned to self occupy, but it was rough there for a while.

Training wise...he's not the brightest but I am used to a very smart, very focused dog (Phoebe is one of the smartest dogs I've ever met...which is odd because she's a Shih Tzu). He has good focus though and is food and toy motivated. It just takes him a while to catch on to patterns. He does listen well though, once he fully understands the command, he's very good in that respect. Housebreaking took a long time for us, but it was likely human error. He was pee housebroken in what I consider a normal amount of time, but pooping took a long time, in fact I don't know if he's really fully housebroken. He stress poops, so for the longest time he'd poop as soon as someone left the house for work, and we didn't like the idea of crating him for 7 hours only two hours after he'd woken from 8 hours of crate bed time. But that's stopped, now you'll occasionally get a poop if for some reason he doesn't go during his normal time in the morning and then he gets left for the day while people work, he just can't hold it that long.

Tucker responds to aggression with aggression, if something charges at him he'll jump away but when it turns around he's charging right back (unfortunately for him this includes the approach of friendly strangers). He is not one to back down.

He spooky barks which I think is tied into his fear of strangers because the only thing he barks at are noises that sound like the door being knocked on, I think he thinks people are coming. He'll run to the door and then run in circles around the house barking after he hears the knocking noise, takes him a while to calm down. He also redirects onto the cats in this situation which is one of the things that leads me to believe it is fear based. If he wasn't scared of strangers I'm not sure that he'd do it.

Sorry for the novel lol.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Kotah BEAR

Lol its okay.

Do you know what else he is mixed with?

I don't like the, he handles aggression with aggression thing, that makes me uneasy, that's why I was asking what else he is mixed with.