Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Chihuahuas!

So in chat, I talked a little to Fran about Romeo.
And though I don't care to much for toy breeds, I've always had a soft spot for Chis, I've met a few and I've liked/enjoyed all of them except one who was not socialized right and the owner treated the Chi like a material thing, instead of a dog.

But I would like to learn more about them, (I am going a little dog fever crazy lately lol).
So Chi owners, please chime in
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I've got a three-legged one you can have

I'm not a big fan of chis - or at least I wasn't. I fostered one two years ago and he was an awesome little dog. He was super tough in a tiny little body. He'd body slam Gavroche (Gavroche may have been letting him do it, but still lol). He was in no way a fragile, brakable little think like I always thought chis were. I really wish sometimes that I would have kept him. The one I have now I'm just getting to know, but so far he's a very, very easy puppy and such a cuddler.

Both dogs were standoffish with strangers, but I also got them both at around 6 months old and neither of them had much, if any, socialization before that. As long as they're raised properly, I don't think that would really be an issue.

My biggest peeve is when people get small dogs and do nothing with them. Just because they're little doesn't mean they should be alowed to get away with everything and never learn to walk on a leash. One of my favorite small dogs is a little pom that is AMAZING. He gets high-90s scores in obedience and rally all the time, usually gets first or second place (usually first), and he's just a really cool little dog. I get to see him every week in my rally class He's SO enthusiastic about everything, and that was true for the chis I've had too.

I can't really tell you much more about them. I had the first foster for I think 2 months, and the current one I've only had for a few days. But I like chis more than I ever imagined I could after fostering them.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Well, Chloe is not all Chihuahua. So I can't be sure which of her traits come from which breed. But I will tell you what Chloe is like.

She is perfect. Lol! But I'll give you a pro/con list.

Pros:

She's very obedient, and very aware of you and your feelings/moods/expressions. She knows what you're asking her to do, even if it's not something you've taught her. Like "get out" or "move". I've never worked on anything like that with her, but if I point out of the kitchen and say "get out" she'll go. Or if I'm walking through the room with something heavy and I say "move" she just...will.

She's always with me. She's not always right on top of me (if I ask her to, she's more than happy to be) but she's always in the same room as me and/or my sister.

She's great with other animals. She loves other dogs, is fine with cats as long as they're not outright mean to her, and is fine with smaller animals as long as I tell her to leave them alone.

She loveloveloves people. Amazing with kids, including babies and toddlers, loves people big and small, man or woman. I'd say she leans toward liking kids and women better, but I wouldn't say she's fearful of men at all. She just doesn't get as excited about men.

Her size is perfect for traveling. She's gone on trips with us and is a great travel companion. She fits in wherever we go and makes herself at home.

Oh, and she's adorable.

Cons:

She's very soft. I don't see this as a con exactly, but I know it can be for some people. She easily gets her feelings hurt, and can get depressed if harshly scolded.

When we first got her she would "pee submissively" if you bent over to pick her up or pet her. But that's nearly gone now, and she only does it every once in a while if you pick her up really quickly.

She does shed, but they're tiny little hairs that you hardly notice, and the shedding is not bad.

She likes to chase small animals if they're outside/unknown to her and I think if she was offleash somewhere and saw a squirrel, bird, cat, etc, she'd take off. She's usually very good about staying with us, and we don't worry about her when the front door is open, because if she steps outside, she'll come right back in with us, but I do worry that if she ever saw something, she'd take off. But because of her size anyway, I don't think letting her offleash anywhere that's unfenced would be a smart idea anyway, because big dogs or another type of predator could take off with her really quickly. Which leads me to my next con.

Because she's so small, I worry about her a lot. She's already been attacked by dogs, and nearly died. I'm scared to have her around bigger dogs that I don't know, and really, anything that could happen to a bigger dog and not have a huge affect on them necessarily could instantly kill a smaller dog. So that's something to think about.

Overall I love Chihuahuas, nearly all the ones I've met have been fantastic.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I've got a three-legged one you can have

I'm not a big fan of chis - or at least I wasn't. I fostered one two years ago and he was an awesome little dog. He was super tough in a tiny little body. He'd body slam Gavroche (Gavroche may have been letting him do it, but still lol). He was in no way a fragile, brakable little think like I always thought chis were. I really wish sometimes that I would have kept him. The one I have now I'm just getting to know, but so far he's a very, very easy puppy and such a cuddler.

Both dogs were standoffish with strangers, but I also got them both at around 6 months old and neither of them had much, if any, socialization before that. As long as they're raised properly, I don't think that would really be an issue.

My biggest peeve is when people get small dogs and do nothing with them. Just because they're little doesn't mean they should be alowed to get away with everything and never learn to walk on a leash. One of my favorite small dogs is a little pom that is AMAZING. He gets high-90s scores in obedience and rally all the time, usually gets first or second place (usually first), and he's just a really cool little dog. I get to see him every week in my rally class He's SO enthusiastic about everything, and that was true for the chis I've had too.

I can't really tell you much more about them. I had the first foster for I think 2 months, and the current one I've only had for a few days. But I like chis more than I ever imagined I could after fostering them.
I understand and agree with your peeve about owners with this breed. I know Chis are super tiny (especially compared to dog's I have had: Aussies, Labs, etc. The smallest dog I've ever had was my Scottish Terrier named Bear and he wasn't that small, one his 1st birthday (3 days before he died) he was right at 20-21 lbs, I think).
But as far as them being tiny, it does bother me, but I know of people who have chis and take them swimming, little hikes, put them in back pack type things and go rock climbing/biking with them. To me, Chis are just big working dogs trapped in a little bity body lol. But I think you can do a lot with them as you could say, a Lab (probably not the BEST way to compare this but I just woke up and couldn't think of anything else lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
Well, Chloe is not all Chihuahua. So I can't be sure which of her traits come from which breed. But I will tell you what Chloe is like.

She is perfect. Lol! But I'll give you a pro/con list.

Pros:

She's very obedient, and very aware of you and your feelings/moods/expressions. She knows what you're asking her to do, even if it's not something you've taught her. Like "get out" or "move". I've never worked on anything like that with her, but if I point out of the kitchen and say "get out" she'll go. Or if I'm walking through the room with something heavy and I say "move" she just...will.

She's always with me. She's not always right on top of me (if I ask her to, she's more than happy to be) but she's always in the same room as me and/or my sister.

She's great with other animals. She loves other dogs, is fine with cats as long as they're not outright mean to her, and is fine with smaller animals as long as I tell her to leave them alone.

She loveloveloves people. Amazing with kids, including babies and toddlers, loves people big and small, man or woman. I'd say she leans toward liking kids and women better, but I wouldn't say she's fearful of men at all. She just doesn't get as excited about men.

Her size is perfect for traveling. She's gone on trips with us and is a great travel companion. She fits in wherever we go and makes herself at home.

Oh, and she's adorable.

Cons:

She's very soft. I don't see this as a con exactly, but I know it can be for some people. She easily gets her feelings hurt, and can get depressed if harshly scolded.

When we first got her she would "pee submissively" if you bent over to pick her up or pet her. But that's nearly gone now, and she only does it every once in a while if you pick her up really quickly.

She does shed, but they're tiny little hairs that you hardly notice, and the shedding is not bad.

She likes to chase small animals if they're outside/unknown to her and I think if she was offleash somewhere and saw a squirrel, bird, cat, etc, she'd take off. She's usually very good about staying with us, and we don't worry about her when the front door is open, because if she steps outside, she'll come right back in with us, but I do worry that if she ever saw something, she'd take off. But because of her size anyway, I don't think letting her offleash anywhere that's unfenced would be a smart idea anyway, because big dogs or another type of predator could take off with her really quickly. Which leads me to my next con.

Because she's so small, I worry about her a lot. She's already been attacked by dogs, and nearly died. I'm scared to have her around bigger dogs that I don't know, and really, anything that could happen to a bigger dog and not have a huge affect on them necessarily could instantly kill a smaller dog. So that's something to think about.

Overall I love Chihuahuas, nearly all the ones I've met have been fantastic.
I would worry about her to, just because she is so small, and like I said I'm use to big dogs.
I LOOOOOOVE that they are like perfect travel size and that they cutest travel things come in Chi size lol (I am a BIG accessory person lol, but don't confuse that with me going out and buying purses to put a Chi in or anything like that.)
The soft hair, is a plus for me. I loved my Scottie but his hair was kind of course sometimes and it drove me crazy.
I am not worry about chasing small animals, my cat Peanut is a pretty big cat, and I'd be more worried about him chasing her lol but seriously, I probably wouldn't have a Chi and Peanut around each other because Peanut would go "OH MY GOOOOOODNESS! A NEW TOY! YAYAYAYAY!"

A couple of additional questions (If anyone reads all of this post lol):

1)I heard that they are very hard to train, most house training, how true is this? (Regardless, I'd train a Chi the way it needed to be and with them being so tiny, I wouldn't really train one like a Dobe, Boxer, Aussie, etc. for example, train them for a long period of time or something like that)

2) I know they love people, but how are they about choosing one person to be theirs?
To be honest, I love dogs that kind of choose one person to be theirs, I don't know why but I do lol. Bear was like that and an Aussie my dad and I fostered was like with me, as well. It was cute lol
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
A couple of additional questions (If anyone reads all of this post lol):

1)I heard that they are very hard to train, most house training, how true is this? (Regardless, I'd train a Chi the way it needed to be and with them being so tiny, I wouldn't really train one like a Dobe, Boxer, Aussie, etc. for example, train them for a long period of time or something like that)

2) I know they love people, but how are they about choosing one person to be theirs?
To be honest, I love dogs that kind of choose one person to be theirs, I don't know why but I do lol. Bear was like that and an Aussie my dad and I fostered was like with me, as well. It was cute lol
1) Like I mentioned, Chloe may not be the "norm" for a Chihuahua, since she is a mixed breed, but she was not hard to housebreak at all. That said, she was an adult when we acquired her. Which may or may not have made a difference one way or the other. We were sure to take her out every 2 hours or so to be sure she didn't have any accidents, and once she got the idea that OUTSIDE was the place to go, she's had VERY few accidents and when she has had them I just snap my fingers and softly but firmly say "Hey!" (if I catch her in the act) and since like I mentioned, she's a pretty soft dog, she got the idea really quickly. We backtracked a tiny bit when we moved, but she hasn't had an accident in months and months.

2) She loves everyone, but she does have a definite preference. She prefers my sister and I, but loves my other family members very much too. Just in a different way. She loves guests, but she knows who her "mamas" are and has an obvious preference to us. She also recognizes people and dogs very well, and shows preference to people and dogs she knows to strangers.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
1) Like I mentioned, Chloe may not be the "norm" for a Chihuahua, since she is a mixed breed, but she was not hard to housebreak at all. That said, she was an adult when we acquired her. Which may or may not have made a difference one way or the other. We were sure to take her out every 2 hours or so to be sure she didn't have any accidents, and once she got the idea that OUTSIDE was the place to go, she's had VERY few accidents and when she has had them I just snap my fingers and softly but firmly say "Hey!" (if I catch her in the act) and since like I mentioned, she's a pretty soft dog, she got the idea really quickly. We backtracked a tiny bit when we moved, but she hasn't had an accident in months and months.

2) She loves everyone, but she does have a definite preference. She prefers my sister and I, but loves my other family members very much too. Just in a different way. She loves guests, but she knows who her "mamas" are and has an obvious preference to us. She also recognizes people and dogs very well, and shows preference to people and dogs she knows to strangers.
Oh that's wonderful.
I know with Chis being so tiny, they can potty is smaller areas larger dogs couldn't get to.
With Bear, since he was Terrier, I heard horror stories about how stubborn they were and how hard it'd be to train them. Bear was one of the easiest dogs I've ever had to train, whether it was house breaking or general commands. I never taught him to walk off leash, its almost like he taught himself and he was a very velcro-y type of dog. I honestly don't remember a time where he was more than 5-6 ft away from me, and that was to do his business and he'd come running straight back to me.

I don't mind a dog being difficult to house break or train, I think with a planted routine and some patience, any dog can be trained. No matter big or small.
Patience patience patience is a key word I had to learn with training dogs lol
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

As far as being stand-offish with strangers, and it being a socialization thing... it really isn't, IME. Jessie's were all socialized when young, and when I first showed up, they were, except for Chloe, all stand-offish. Especially Emma, but she is also the tiniest so I can imagine how huge I must have looked to her. After about an hour, Tucker and Rylie were fine with me -- Emma took that first night.

Only real experience I have with chi's was that week with Jessie's crew; my aunt used to have a chi but I was too young to remember much. Also a chihuahua named Hercules that strutted around the neighbourhood when I was younger xD

As far as being fragile... I was so worried about breaking one of her dogs, but they are hardy little guys. Emma's favourite playmate is Rory, she really gets going with him!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Kotah BEAR

I plan on taking and socializing a Chi wherever I go and whenever I can.
To me, it doesn't matter what breed, Socialization is KEY.

I would my Chi to be outgoing and willing to meet new people.

I know Chis are alert, and some tend to give a "warning" bark when the door bell it rung or if something feels off, but I don't think they are to threatening to a 200+ lb man with a gun lol
But silliness aside, Chis sound like a great little bundle of awesomeness, and whenever I get to the point of a small breed, this will be the dog I look into.
Fran already gave me the website of Romeo's breeder and I plan on getting in touch with her sometime soon and at least discussing her dogs, breeding program, etc, even though it'll probably be a couple years before I get any dog, but I figure I'd get started early researching and looking at said breeder.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Cloudcandy

Heyyyyy,
Well before i tell you what I think,Coco is only half chi(the other half is JRT)she is also 6months,so I have'nt had her for long and she is a pup but anyway

"She's very obedient, and very aware of you and your feelings/moods/expressions. She knows what you're asking her to do, even if it's not something you've taught her. Like "get out" or "move". I've never worked on anything like that with her, but if I point out of the kitchen and say "get out" she'll go. Or if I'm walking through the room with something heavy and I say "move" she just...will.

She's always with me. She's not always right on top of me (if I ask her to, she's more than happy to be) but she's always in the same room as me and/or my sister. "

Coco has those traits too,in the past two/three weeks she suddenly is understanding me ALOT more,I can ask her certain things and she just know's what I mean!?

I'm not sure if she is a one person dog,me and my boyf are very much her people,however she LOVE's my family,my friends...hell if you sit next to me on the bus and pet her she will sit in your lap.
One of the best thing for me with Coco was that her size allows me to take her alot of place's!This was important for socializing and also she is a GREAT traveler,I pull out a blanket and say "bed" and that's her home.
One thing I would say is I'm not sure I would have SUCH a small dog in the future....I didn't expect her to be this tiny...saing that I've met Chi's SMALLER then her(and full grown)her size does make it her hard for her to meet other dog's and I am always thinking about her safety.
I can trust her off lead,she has great recall BUT I always have to be worried about another dog coming over...or her her going over to other dog's.She really REALLY need's another small dog she can buddy up with.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Cloudcandy

Heyyyyy,
Well before i tell you what I think,Coco is only half chi(the other half is JRT)she is also 6months,so I have'nt had her for long and she is a pup but anyway

"She's very obedient, and very aware of you and your feelings/moods/expressions. She knows what you're asking her to do, even if it's not something you've taught her. Like "get out" or "move". I've never worked on anything like that with her, but if I point out of the kitchen and say "get out" she'll go. Or if I'm walking through the room with something heavy and I say "move" she just...will.

She's always with me. She's not always right on top of me (if I ask her to, she's more than happy to be) but she's always in the same room as me and/or my sister. "

Coco has those traits too,in the past two/three weeks she suddenly is understanding me ALOT more,I can ask her certain things and she just know's what I mean!?

I'm not sure if she is a one person dog,me and my boyf are very much her people,however she LOVE's my family,my friends...hell if you sit next to me on the bus and pet her she will sit in your lap.

One of the best thing for me with Coco was that her size allows me to take her alot of place's!This was important for socializing and also she is a GREAT traveler,I pull out a blanket and say "bed" and that's her home.

One thing I would say is I'm not sure I would have SUCH a small dog in the future....I didn't expect her to be this tiny...saying that I've met Chi's SMALLER then her(and full grown)her size does make it her hard for her to meet other dog's and I am always thinking about her safety.
I can trust her off lead,she has great recall BUT I always have to be worried about another dog coming over...or her her going over to other dog's.She really REALLY need's another small dog she can buddy up with.