Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Big Dog

Default Breeding as well as rescuing

I'd like to breed in the future, if all goes as planned. But I'd also like to foster pregnant females or females with litters already on the ground, as there is a large need for knowledgeable fosters for them in my area. I'm worried that I won't be able to do both (well, not as much worried but sad) as the rescues/shelters around here are so very anti breeder, even when its done right. I've got a great plan (one id be more then happy to go into if you all would like) , but I'm worried that as soon as I tell them I have intact dogs they will simply say "no thanks" Suggestions? Have any breeders here also worked with a rescue as well?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

It's pretty sad isn't it? My female Shiba was never spayed, never had an unplanned litter either in 15 years, just shortly after we got. age they were looking for a bitch with milk to nurse some pups, Ruffian bagged up every single heat so I offered, they turned me down because gage wasn't neutered yet...I had had him 3 weeks tops.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately there is a rift. Too many people think dogs are an all or nothing type deal and that just isn't helpful to anyone. Possibly look in to specific breed rescue? I know with Whippets, dogs are frequently pulled from shelters and fostered by breeders and owners who support responsible breeders.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I'd look into private rescues as opposed to shelters or humane societies. I know quite a few who would be thrilled to have someone with experience to take in females with litters, and who have no issues with breeders.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Not a Border Collie

I third the suggestion of trying a breed specific rescue or at least an open minded, knowledgeable private. I know with my breed rescue, they rely heavily on involved breeders for transporting, fostering, and many have rescue ESs as well.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I do some work for all-breed rescues, or pull strings with contacts in other organizations when I need the help... like the time I saw a momma with 7 puppies that needed to be pulled.

The way I look at it... if I provide a good home for a puppy from a breeder and I have a specific reason for getting a puppy instead of getting a rescue then what's so wrong about that? Finding what fits and what is needed is the best way to ensure a good home. I almost always look through rescue first and then if I can't find what I'm looking for then I went to the breeder route.

I think as long as we're fighting the good fight we're all entitled to have some dogs that are from breeders. In my house we currently have 3 animals from breeders (1 dog and 2 rabbits) and 2 "rescues" (retired racer who isn't really a rescue just adopted, and 1 rabbit who was found outdoors to fend for herself). We also have plenty of foster animals come through. I foster animals if I see them in need (though that's a main reason I don't surf on Kijiji anymore) and through the local humane society. My work does several fundraisers every year for the local humane society to which I always volunteer lots of my own time.

If a rescue can't appreciate having the extra volunteer time simply because you don't have the mind set of "everyone should get every animal from a rescue, breeding is horrible" then that's their loss. Move on and find another group that will be happy to have your time!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I've found specific breed rescue are a lot more in tune with what a good breeder is and where rescues tend to come from (BYB, mills, idiots etc).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I'd look into private rescues as opposed to shelters or humane societies. I know quite a few who would be thrilled to have someone with experience to take in females with litters, and who have no issues with breeders.
This. Honestly, most people I know who are involved in rescue also have intact dogs at home.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

Some people will absolutely disregard you.

Some won't. It's going to completely depend on your area and the people in it. I have fostered for 2 rescues that allowed me to have intact animals and they completely understood why and trusted that I wasn't some crazy backyard breeder. I was turned down by many others for the reason that they were intact.

There's a german shepherd rescue a town over that I work with and donate a lot to - I know the owner through GSDs/training - She is a breeder and rescues as well, so someone like her would have no problem letting a dog/litter be placed with a responsible owner of intact dogs. I love her program and really admire her- They adopt out about 10 GSDs a month and transport many all the way from california. She runs a boarding kennel and keeps all of the dogs right at her place in the kennels while they get out for a lot of training, play time with each other, and socialization. The best part is since she's really involved in the dog breeding/training world, she's very knowledgable and places dogs very well. I only know of one dog that has been returned to her and judging by the owners he was adopted to, it was not her fault for his poor placement- it was their wishy washy attitude towards rehoming dogs.

Good luck finding a good place to work with - and don't get discouraged if some turn you down. If they're that uneducated and biased, you probably don't want to volunteer with them anyway.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-02-2014, 04:07 AM
Big Dog

Well, after a frustrating experience with a local rescue, and talking with a few breeders, I've created a fb group to help bring rescuers and ethical breeders together. If anyone is interested in joining search "Breeder Rescue Alliance" on fb