Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Seriously?? How sad. I have a friend whose dream dog is a dobe, I'll have to let her know about this.
DPCA Longevity Program | Home

Here's the info on it. They did add bred for longevity thing but I have no idea the kind of participation it receives.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Seriously?? How sad. I have a friend whose dream dog is a dobe, I'll have to let her know about this.
I have a friend who has a female Dobe that is 13 years old. She is in great shape, she gets a little more irritated because she is old and they just got a 3 year old Lab mix from the shelter. But other than being irritated by a bouncy, go go go lab mix, she is in great health.
So I was surprised when I heard that most barely live to be 10.
To me, how long they live matters but its not going to be the deal breaker on a breed. Bernese Mtn Dogs average life span is 7 years, but they are my dream dog and I WILL have one, one day lol.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
I have a friend who has a female Dobe that is 13 years old. She is in great shape, she gets a little more irritated because she is old and they just got a 3 year old Lab mix from the shelter. But other than being irritated by a bouncy, go go go lab mix, she is in great health.
So I was surprised when I heard that most barely live to be 10.
To me, how long they live matters but its not going to be the deal breaker on a breed. Bernese Mtn Dogs average life span is 7 years, but they are my dream dog and I WILL have one, one day lol.
It's the cardiac events you have to watch for. Fine one day, possibly dead the next, often times with nothing you can do to forsee or prevent it. It came to my attention really after hearing of a dog death at a schutzhund event. The dog finished the obedience section and died heading back to the car. 7 years old - there was nothing they could do - she was gone. We have a forum member who just lost a dog a few months ago due to congestive heart failure - 8 years old as I recall.

While it can happen with any dog breed, it happens far more commonly in dobes and anyone considering the breed should be aware of it. If you're ok with such a short life on a really expensive dog go forth and purchase. Just don't say no one warned ya.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

I know a 16 year old Doberman, and I've known a few between the ages of 11 and 14yrs old... but no, it's not the norm. Just nice when it happens. I've known I think about 5 now to have dropped dead of DCM with no warning all around 6-8 years old. Seemingly healthy one day, and suddenly gone. Sometimes you get a warning and can prolong the dog's life somewhat with medication, but often times you do not have any warning whatsoever. I've also known two more young dogs to die of liver failure. And this is in a health tested line of dogs who'd had good longevity up until a few years ago without any cardio or liver disease to really speak of.

There are health issues in any breed, and while Dobermans really don't have that many more than most, the ones (specifically cardio) they do have are pretty devastating.

I'm undecided whether or not I'll have more Dobes in the future, and health is a pretty big reason. I've lost enough dogs young and don't really want to knowingly risk it. I live everyday with the knowledge that my Dobes parents both died relatively young (one at 5 and the other at 7 1/2), as did 3 aunts and uncles. While I live with my dogs like I would any other dog, Iit is always in the back of my mind that at 4 years old, there is a good possibility that Keira might only have a couple more years left. While I sincerely hope that is not the case, it is a possible reality.

But at the same time, we did know of the breed's health issues when we got them. And I am not at all sorry that we have them. The experience of owning Dobermans has been wonderful, and I hope that we have many more years to enjoy them. :-)

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I know a 16 year old Doberman, and I've known a few between the ages of 11 and 14yrs old... but no, it's not the norm. Just nice when it happens. I've known I think about 5 now to have dropped dead of DCM with no warning all around 6-8 years old. Seemingly healthy one day, and suddenly gone. Sometimes you get a warning and can prolong the dog's life somewhat with medication, but often times you do not have any warning whatsoever. I've also known two more young dogs to die of liver failure. And this is in a health tested line of dogs who'd had good longevity up until a few years ago without any cardio or liver disease to really speak of.

There are health issues in any breed, and while Dobermans really don't have that many more than most, the ones (specifically cardio) they do have are pretty devastating.

I'm undecided whether or not I'll have more Dobes in the future, and health is a pretty big reason. I've lost enough dogs young and don't really want to knowingly risk it. I live everyday with the knowledge that my Dobes parents both died relatively young (one at 5 and the other at 7 1/2), as did 3 aunts and uncles. While I live with my dogs like I would any other dog, Iit is always in the back of my mind that at 4 years old, there is a good possibility that Keira might only have a couple more years left. While I sincerely hope that is not the case, it is a possible reality.

But at the same time, we did know of the breed's health issues when we got them. And I am not at all sorry that we have them. The experience of owning Dobermans has been wonderful, and I hope that we have many more years to enjoy them. :-)
That is terrible... I read more about a Dobes health on the DT forum, and it was very sad to read some of the stories on there and on other forums.
It is a sad thing and it is terrible that Dobes have a bad road with Cardio, and sometimes there is just nothing that anyone can do.
After reading more about their health (I have read about their health a bunch, but I just haven't read about peoples stories about their Dobes and their individual health issues and what happened to them), it does concern me more and more.
I love the breed, and I am still considering getting one, the health issues have just become more eye opening over the last few hours I've been reading about their health issues, and to be honest, it scares the living sh!t out of me.
I guess its a little hard on me since my first dog was a black lab when I was around 10(?) and he had to be PTS because he had severe mange that turned into something more serious and made his intestine bleed out, I was 10 so I don't really remember all the details.
But the health issues is a big thing for me, as well as how fast and young it can take them. But again, I will still consider them but I do want a dog that has a longer life span and not so many health issues, I know every breed has health problems. I hate the thought of my dog being gone at 5 or 6 years old.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Original Twin

I love Saga beyond reason, but I really don't know if I will have another Doberman. Toller summed it up pretty well for me. Dobermans have always been one of my favorite breeds, but the health concerns are well, a concern for me. Saga is 4 and from a byb... I'm paranoid about losing her. Already.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Kotah BEAR

Aw Hillside, that's sad
I hope she has MANY years left.