Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Check out Raws for Paws, pretty decent prices and you don't have to pay a ton. If you want meat at like $.19/pound, let me know. We buy in bulk.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If you want to make your own completely (which I find works best) then Pricing from Anderson Produce is AWESOME! That is where I get turkey necks for Megan and I when I am not broke

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't have the space to buy in bulk. I'm using the side-by-side refrigerator in our garage haha and the freezer is just so narrow and provides no space.

I'm probably going to go broke just because of that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

You could probably still buy some bulk if you just process it and put it in ziploc bags and stack them?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 AM
orange iguanas.

I'll have to see if I can make it work once I get into the swing of things. If we cleaned out our human food freezers I could probably sneak some food in there without upsetting anyone lol but I don't foresee that happening!

I am like, way more excited about this than I should be. Ready for Poop Patrol.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Top Dog

If you have the space, check CL for freezers. I got mine (16.5cu ft.) for $125, and it's in like new condition.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
She looks great!
That website is super helpful too.

I'm feeling a little more comfortable about doing this, I just hope Juno's digestive system doesn't make it complicated. She's got a bit of a sensitive tummy and it took forever to find a kibble that didn't give her the runs. So my fingers are crossed that transitioning her to raw isn't such a headache.
My two were like this too, Aura had super mushy puppy poops that I couldn't get rid of, and Riley had a sensitive tummy, but when I started them on raw chicken their stools were awesome almost instantly. The first month is pretty easy, like everyone has said, start with chicken for the first 1-2 weeks and go from there.

We did chicken (bone in and then boneless) for 2 weeks, then turkey, fish (whole frozen sardines), pork about week 4 (bone in and boneless) and then boneless beef. Working on adding organs right now. Right now I just alternate variety as much as I can with what I have in the freezer. Not too concerned about the 80/10/10 thing as long as they are getting a nice variety and the poops are good. Balance over time.

Every dog is different. You might find Juno loses weight for the first 3 weeks or so, because chicken is pretty lean.

I have to feed Riley just over 2lbs a day to keep weight on him!! It's crazy.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Her poop was so perfect this morning I could have cried lol. The kibble she was on wasn't causing her any problems at all, so it wasn't like we had an issue that needed to be resolved--I'm just SO happy that, thus far, it hasn't created diarrhea. I haven't even been cutting off the skin/fat which is apparently recommended at first... oops.
It was a little bit smaller too. And this is after only 3 raw meals.

Thanks for your help so far everyone! This is so fun.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Her poop was so perfect this morning I could have cried lol. The kibble she was on wasn't causing her any problems at all, so it wasn't like we had an issue that needed to be resolved--I'm just SO happy that, thus far, it hasn't created diarrhea. I haven't even been cutting off the skin/fat which is apparently recommended at first... oops.
It was a little bit smaller too. And this is after only 3 raw meals.

Thanks for your help so far everyone! This is so fun.
I only cut the major fatty parts off of the quarters when I first started Piper, and she surprisingly (she DID have lots of stomach issues, that's why I switched her to raw) had no ill effects from it. I never took the little pieces of organ meat off either.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Slave to the Aussie

YAY!

It gets to be almost as simple as kibble when you have the hang of it.

As for the freezer thing we only had the little side by side freezer when i first moved here (chest freezer from CL for $60 was awesome) and using the vaccum bags for stuff that was going to be in their for a while so i could stack it was great.

I only buy food once every month or 2 at the most now that i have a big chest freezer and just spend a few hours that Saturday cutting and bagging everything up. Bagging into "meals" also cuts down on time.