Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Albus HAS rearranged his nose for him, which was completely my fault. I let him out without checking the backyard first. It didn't deter him, it just made him want to hurt the cat back.

I will definitely try a squirt bottle. I don't think he'd like that, as he hates baths

The LAT is definitely not working at this point. It's only increased his fixation, at least, that's how it appears to me. He's only getting food for looking away from the cats, but it seems to have made him more determined to actually FIND them in the first place.

I hate to say this, and I may get jumped all over for it, but I'm considering putting him in an ecollar and correcting him for his chasing.

He does it on lead, if he's off in the backyard, he doesn't drag a lead, but he's got a tab I keep on him, corrections with a prong don't stop him, correcting him by yelling no or leave it doesn't even slow him at this point. And I'm beginning to fear he's going to seriously injure one of them. Even a strong correction for putting his mouth on the cat doesn't stop him from trying to go back to the cat. I can't herd the cats, they come and go as they please, so if I'm bringing him through the kitchen, and the cat comes wandering in, he's already on high alert, and seeing the cat is enough to make him forget he had to go to the bathroom, get water, etc

Getting rid of the cats or the dog is obviously not an option The cats are my moms, and we're living here until we get a house closed on, but once we do, we won't have cats, but right now, I've got to figure out some way to keep him from obsessing over them.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

I have no idea what Simon is like but this is what has been working (with decent success) with Stryker. Her intent is never to harm, she play bows at the poor cats as they height seek!

My cats are pretty stationary most of the time so it works pretty well but I practice call offs with high value rewards (food/toys/play) in multiple sessions. We practice self control exercises (not LAT for the reasons you've discovered) only reinforcing for actively avoiding the cats. And when she gets overwhelmed, I feel no shame in giving her a time-out in her crate. She earned herself one tonight after chasing a cat off the furniture. If I have to I verbally interrupt the chase but tonight she ran INTO me trying to chase the cat so I grabbed and crated.

Difference? Her intent is play, overzealous play.

Good luck!
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm not sure what Simon's intent is. He's not really acting like he wants to play, but he also hasn't broken skin or done more than rough them mouthily when he's gotten close enough to the few times he has.

It seems like food has no power over him like cats do I am upping the ante tomorrow with baked tuna treats and hotdogs, I've been using pepperoni, zukes salmon, real grilled chicken, the chicken he loves, but only for a few seconds. The pepperoni he likes, the zukes he likes, but it doesn't seem like enough to break him off of watching them. I've been working with him on watching them through the glass doors, and if he gets over threshold, he does immediately go to his crate. I haven't messed around with that at all, because the cats are more important than hurting his feelings

He comes out after a time out usually twenty minutes or so later, but it seems like that hasn't phased him at all.

The bad part is that these two have no sense of self preservation around dogs. One probably thinks he IS a dog. So they don't height seek at all.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
the cats are more important than hurting his feelings
Absolutely.

We had an appointment on Saturday that just made my blood boil. Prey driven JRT left loose with feline friend while owner was gone. JRT has puncture wounds and corneal scratches. Cat is dead.

*headdesk*
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Well we adopted Brie as a kitten after having all three dogs. Mira was fine but needed to understand that "gentle" took on a new level of meaning with a cat. Kim and Webster were happy to see that I had brought home a meal on wheels. I'm not sure they actually wanted to kill Brie but they were definitely instantly going into stalk/chase mode, and they've both taken out small animals before, so let's say I had reason to be concerned.

Basically they had no interaction with the cat at all unless it was directly supervised by me with my undivided attention. We played a lot of LAT, a lot of your good old classical conditioning/desensitization. First, just rewarding for being in the vicinity of the cat without constantly searching for her, then looking at the cat (you let them fixate at all and you already lost -- gotta be quick), then progressively closer, then relaxing in the more distant presence of the cat, then closer...etc.

It took Kim about three weeks. It took Webster about three months. They all freely mingle around the house now with no issue, and the Sunspot Kids (Kim, Webster, Brie) will often be found relaxing together on the run with the best sun in the house. They are separated when we are gone.

If we brought in a new cat I'm sure we'd have to do the same thing all over again, though hopefully it would be accelerated...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Good lord. I believe it though.

Ozzy would more than likely kill a stray cat if he caught it. He ignores our two, even will play with them sometimes, but "ours" and "not ours" are definitely separate in his mind. Not ours is fair game to him.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Top Dog

I really can't help with anything other than to say... maybe it gets better? LOL

I only say this because you have just described Trent to a T. High prey drive, very inquisitive, shoves his nose where it doesn't belong, no idea what his intentions are, it certainly isn't to hurt, it may be out of a desire to play, but his mannerisms are still different...

The cat fascinated him for the longest time. We really just practiced tons of recalling, LAT, impulse control, staying in one spot while the cat is zipping around the room, etc. Had him on leash for the first few days for certain periods, just in case. He really did get better, with just consistent corrections (verbal) when he tried to chase the cat and rewards when he was called away from the cat or ignored her. And now the family's brought a new baby kitten home and he's been a sweet, gentle guy.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Owned by Rottweilers

I would also LOVE to get advice out of this... Bella has SUPER high prey drive, and it is probably her ONLY drive (no food drive, play drive, ball drive etc). If the thing (in this instance a cat) is COMPLETELY still, doesn't even blink, then Bella is ok just sniffs, licks, pants, whatever. If the thing moves even EVER so slightly BOOM it becomes exciting and edible.

I have another dog... doesn't care about things moving around or walking or whatever, but as soon as it runs. BOOM chase, kill.

Disclaimer: Current avatar was found on Google, I don't own the image
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Let him close to the confrontational cat (on leash) and let the cat teach him a lesson?

I'm not much help LOL
an accident of this type is what turned my old red dog Jack into a cat killer.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

have you tried the can of pennies? everytime he gets too interested you call his name give a firm NO then throw the can of pennies in his general area then call his name & give a firm NO.
if that doesn't do the trick you may need to get truly pavlovian w/ aversion training. you may have to be willing to go to a shock collar, hotshot or a spray bottle of pepper vinegar. can you make yourself inflict a little discomfort for the overall good?