Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Likely going to depend on the dog, but I honestly can't think of a time when Auggie has quit on me. I have pretty much wiped him out before, but the only way I know is because he sleeps really well that night, or on the long drive home. =P He doesn't stop going, and he will never turn down a thrown tennis ball no matter how long we've played or worked earlier in the day (in fact the tennis ball test is how I gauge if I should be worried about my dog - if he ever DOESN'T chase the tennis ball, I know we have a problem.) Payton is permanently stuck in gear so I haven't had him stop on me either, though of course we have not done anything NEAR the kind of work and play I do with Auggie. Pepper is less drivey on the whole but generally speaking I lose her interest in something rather than she is worn out... she is less focused.

As far as heat goes, I've seen dogs with less coat do far worse than Auggie in heat, but I am also going to say that will be an individual dog thing based on what their tolerance level is. We also have a problem with humidity more than heat here in the Midwest and that is when dogs (of all breeds) really start to struggle, and I can't blame them, because as a runner myself I have a horrible time just trying to breathe when it's humid out. We've done agility in 100+ degree temps before... not something I would do routinely, but can he handle it? Oh yeah.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

There are so many older shelties in rescue here! Tons of 7 and 8 year olds....

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I have a soft spot for senior rescue shelties! Kota came to us as a rescued dog and there's always been something special about him. Just something different in that bond. Something in his eyes.
If you're looking for your next serious activity partner, that may not be the best way to go. But you could absolutely get an older rescue sheltie and start playing in agility, see if you like the breed, see if you really even like the game. A rescue probably won't be the best example of the breed, but that definitely doesn't make them crappy dogs. Kota is a **** good dog, not neurotic like poor Happy was, a really smart, even keel dog. And you will get a really good picture of how they are and if they work in your lifestyle.
Then you'll be more determined when you come to the footwork of finding an excellent breeder if you wanted to go that route later, LOL.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I don't think of collies, but I guess I assumed they were around the size of my eskie growing up...He was 18 inches and 30 lbs.

They're actually not all that much bigger than Milo....
There are plenty of Shelties that size...and bigger! Also plenty smaller and much smaller than Beanie's. There is a huge size variance in the breed and even the most careful breeders have a hard time keeping dogs within the standard. This is likely because of outcrossing to small and large breeds in the more recent history of the breed. I knew a Sheltie so tiny that she was almost toy dog sized and one so big people asked if he was a collie - both from the same litter out of average sized parents. This talks a bit about the size issues in Shelties: Sheltie Size And this one talks about the breed history - talk about a breed that's changed quite a bit. I sort of wish the original , "unimproved" type was still around: Sheltie History
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Havent' read the responses yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
How big are your dogs, Beanie? I know what the standard calls for, but it seems like a pretty good range, I'm just kind of curious if I usually picture your dogs to be the same size they actually are.
Mine were 18, 25, and 35 lbs full grown. I have known 40+ lb shelties and some that are as tall as Summer. My old trainer's (whom I REALLY hope to get back to training with) had a 14 lb multiple MACH dog. He was AWESOME. Size is not set in the breed. The modern sheltie is a recent creation- collie was added not all that long ago and there were lots of little breeds (I've even heard papillon suspected) added in too. You get big and small from the same lines and even litters.

They are barky dogs, but I think it is over-exaggerated for the most part. A sheltie that barks all the time has something wrong with it. There are breeders breeding dogs that don't stop barking so be careful if you run across a breeder that routinely debarks. But my shelties would alert bark probably not much more than the papillons. They WERE however, more creative with their vocalizations. Shelties are talky dogs and have a large vocabulary- honks, yodels, grunts, chirps, etc. Nikki in particular would mimic human vocalizations. She also loved to sing along to music. I miss that a lot about them.

shelties vary a lot. I think that's one of the most important thing. Shyness is a real problem in the breed. Timidity. Should NOT be like that but many are and I've known a lot of really weird shelties. They're quirky dogs as is but not in a bad way. I think they're a lot of fun. Drive varies, herdiness varies. I had one that heel nipped a lot and was very motion sensitive. I had one that was stereotypical wanted nothing to do with strangers and one that was an attention *****. I will say in general the breed is a lot more aloof than the papillons in my experience. My shelties were more apt to be in the doorway keeping watch than on top of you like Mia or Summer tends to be.

They're generally highly trainable. All of mine were but street smarts/common sense varied. Trey was not very bright and I am not saying that to be mean, he was just short a bit. Rosie and Nikki (especially Nikki who is near par with Mia) were very clever dogs. Nikki just plain KNEW so many things. She was so sneaky and had such an attitude.... I joke that she sent me Mia.

Nikki was my buddy growing up. She was a delightful dog and I credit her with a lot of my love for dogs now. I wish I'd had her now, she'd be a blast! I got interested in training dogs because she'd pick up tricks left and right. I think they're great family dogs. Nik and Trey nannied us a lot and were always up for whatever. Ball playing, chase games (they loved that), training, whatever.

Drive varies... I've known some very drivey shelties and then some that weren't. Mine were all so-so. Mia surpasses them all in drive but my trainer's dogs are up there with her. A bit different kind of intensity than a BC or something like that but they're fast intense dogs in their own right if you find the right lines. Too many are dumbed down a bit. But I've known shelties that rock at a lot of different sports.

Thyroid seems to be a problem with a lot of them. And there's a lot that gain weight looking at food.

Last edited by Laurelin; 10-11-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Are they often neurotic/obsessive? How much exercise do they usually need each day?
Neurotic/Obsessiveness to me is a hard one... I would say mine would obsess a bit but no more than any other dog. Each had their quirks. Nikki's big one was her love for my chinchilla. she would sit and watch her all day. A lot is just training/management. If you have a sheltie that likes to bite heels or attack the vacuum- stop them! They learn fast.

Exercise- totally adaptable would be what I say. They're pretty good (in my experience) to fitting in with the flow. Mine could go go go or be fine with a small amount of exercise. Mine enjoyed exercise but weren't all that demanding about it provided they got some exercise or training. But I've always been pretty involved with my dogs. They're not a breed you can get and then expect to spend no time with by a long shot. They need some meaningful interaction daily. Does it have to be real hard exercise? No. Overall I think their exercise needs have been the most moderate of any breed I've owned. Socialization is the absolute biggest thing with them in my opinion.

As far as coat and heat tolerance- ours lived in Houston. And my dad used to bike with Nikki all the time. she did fine provided it was built up to of course.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

How much do they shed? Shedding's not a huge deterrence for me, but it'd be a nice change from Violet to have a dog that doesn't shed much.

So far they sound like my perfect dog. I'm really enjoying this thread!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm curious about the shedding, too. The shelties I've known shed like CRAZY, but they also were sometimes shaved down, were rarely brushed or groomed, and ate crappy dog food.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

They do shed, but it's different than how some dogs (like a GSD or something) shed. They tend to tumbleweed rather than just dropping hair all over the place, LOL. And often they shed and it's like a little tuft of white that starts floating around in the coat and you just reach down and pull it out...
I usually find little tumbleweeds hanging out in the corners of rooms and I vacuum once a week and it's not terrible. If I don't vacuum and it goes to two weeks I vacuum up a whole dog and it looks kinda bad. They blow coat twice a year and that's the worst time, but I usually keep it under control by giving Auggie a nice warm bath, using my forced air dryer, then line brushing outside. It's best to brush outside during shedding season because the hair tends to just go flying everywhere and I find it easier to be outside and just let it fly. =P

Most people say if you brush them once a week, that keeps it under control. Honestly, Auggie doesn't quite get brushed that often... and I didn't brush Pepper that often either. Maybe once every other week or so? Just depending on when they "looked" or "felt" like they needed it, and usually I just grabbed one of my combs and did a quick job.

That said, if you like to wear black (or even dark blue), you'll need to invest in some fabric rollers. It's not so bad that you have to roll your clothes all the time, but usually I'll put on a black t-shirt and then wrestle with the boys, then look down and go "...oh. Oops!" But I think that goes for most dog breeds (and cats too), really.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

My experiance was like Beanie's when it comes to shedding. Tylers parents had a blue merle Sheltie and I dont really remember the hair getting all over my clothes that often, Also the hair was not all over and they hardly ever brushed her. They maybe vaccumed once or twice a week and the hair was not all over it was mostly in corners in clumps or under the couch, which got vaccumed under all the time just for that reason.

Question: Is being overly timid a common thing in Sheties?? I know Tylers shelie was so timid and fearful when it came to people she did and did not know. I was around that dog for 4 years and it was always fearful towards me.

And I have met quite a few sheties who have been timit like that as well.

Is that because of BYB's

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff