Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Top Dog

Molly is very thin, almost looking emaciated, and I guess it's just old age (almost 13), as all her tests came back great last time. A friend of my mother's is the same way. When she was younger, she was pretty thin, then she got slightly pudgy in middle age, and now in her 80's, is very thin. Molly eats fine, but no matter how much stuff I sneak her on the side, she puts on zero weight. She's about 5-7 pounds under 10-12% what she looks best at, about 52-55 pounds. King is perfect, 55-56 pounds, and he seems to be holding his weight fine. She actually eats a lot more than he does, but she just can't gain an ounce.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I had a foster, Tara, that I pulled from the pound and was malnourished. The vet suggested feeding like 4 (small) meals a day until she got to a healthy weight/condition. She was skin and bones but had a potbelly, we thought for sure she had worms but she did not we used canned food, and then mixed it with kibble.
After the first week I put her on 'normal' food (fosters here always ate TOTW) and she did fine! It wasn't an overnight thing, but she did get a lot better fairly quick and when she got to a good condition I cut back to the normal 2 meals a day and she kept it.

One thing I wanted to say is with Tara, she was a stray, so we suspected she ate a lot of garbage and scraps. She had a stomach of STEAL I kid you not. But about 2-3 weeks in she went through a terrible 'detox' - her coat blew, her skin coat and eyes were nasty, as were her stools. I took her to the vet twice that week and they ran tests, but she was fine, just detoxing. After that her coat and everthing looked a lot better

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o