Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Default Another Breed Suggestion Thread!

Just pondering about future breeds and wondering if you guys have any good suggestions.

Here is my criteria.

Small - nothing above Sheltie size roughly.

Personality - lively - I love dogs who are 'spirited' and 'spunky' and who are interested exploring, learning and just being fairly active.
I don't mind having a dog that is a bit of a challenge to train (I'm looking at you, Abby). I don't mind having a dog that will think for herself. I would prefer a 'people-focused' dog. Doesn't need to love strangers, but will love her own people. I have no kids. Preferably no or little predisposition to dog aggression.

Activity levels - I currently walk my girl everyday for about 40 mins, sometimes twice a day with another walk lasting around 20 minutes. We don't have 'offlead' time, but I like have her on the long-line and let her run about and explore. We usually do some sort of training throughout the day, some agility/obedience and some shaping/tricks etc. Later in the evening we chill on the couch. So I guess we need that 'off-switch' and I need a dog that won't go to pieces if some bizarre set of circumstances means that I can't walk them for a day. I do work full-time, but spend a lot of my time before and after work with my current girl.

Grooming needs - I'm open about this. Abby is a long-haired chi x and so I spend roughly 15 minutes most days just brushing and going over her. I do like a bit of coat, but I'd be happy with a short-haired coat too. Wire-hair is ok too.

Health - really important. I want a healthy robust breed overall, and one that it generally long-lived.

I'd be looking to do obedience and agility with this dog, but it's not the be all and end all. I'm after an active companion first and foremost.

TIA
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Jrt

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
*Now with Snark*

How about a papillon?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM
On second thought...

Um... Corgi?

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Since you mentioned them yourself, Sheltie?

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
How about a papillon?
Thats was going to be my suggestion to.

How about a Maltese?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Poodle - 3 sizes to choose from but I think a mini would be the size you're looking for.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
love herds

Westie maybe, your description sounds like Radar. He is spunky, energetic, responsive to training and very `durable`. I am hoping to get him into agility also. Border terrier would be another I would consider. A Mini poodle is another good option, amazing little sports dogs. Definitely capable of excelling in any training you want to do.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAshley View Post
Westie maybe, your description sounds like Radar. He is spunky, energetic, responsive to training and very `durable`. I am hoping to get him into agility also. Border terrier would be another I would consider. A Mini poodle is another good option, amazing little sports dogs. Definitely capable of excelling in any training you want to do.
I was going to say Westie too!! Teagan is very, very spunky and outgoing. Im hoping to get get started in agility soon. She is very trainable, but has her stubborn moments.

My last westie lived till 14 years of age and she was outgoing and spunky to the last of her days. They are a relativly healthy breed, but you have to watch out for skin issues. You also have to take into consideration that this breed most likely wont be "I love everyone, and every dog" kinnda dog. Westies and most terriers have a lower tolerance of other dogs. Teagan my Westie is pretty good with other dogs, mostly ignores them, but when it comes to a rude dog she does not take kindly to that and they will get snarked or bitten. She is only two so her tolernece of dogs most likely will go even lower as she gets older.

They are a great breed to own. Tyler my SO loved rough housing with her and he has no worry that he is going to hurt her. Shes pretty durable.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
love herds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I was going to say Westie too!! Teagan is very, very spunky and outgoing. Im hoping to get get started in agility soon. She is very trainable, but has her stubborn moments.
Great minds think alike lol. The stubborn bit is a good point. I have seen them do formal obedience but I know Radar would do better at agility. Something where he gets to bounce around, climb and have general fun, where there is something in it for him. The Westies (and most terriers I have met) are all over the map as far how social they are. Radar and his westie buddy around the block tend to ignore other dogs until they know them and he is never the aggressor but will put a rude dog in its place, but I have met a couple who are DA.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)