Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Cloudcandy

Default How to care for a g.pig

This is Moo my sister's 1 year old guinea pig,they brought him from a petstore and he had been sharing his space witha rabbit(big no no?) they also brought him on his own.This is how he live's atm,I'm trying to convince my sister and mum that she should have some more space so she can do more exercise etc

IMG_4942 by sweetheart-roland, on Flickr

IMG_4941 by sweetheart-roland, on Flickr
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yah, the guinea pig needs much more space than that. Make sure he gets fresh veggies daily, too...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Cloudcandy

Yeah I thought so,any inventive and cheap ideas for creating a better enviroment?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Wookie Collie

Yup

Cubes and Coroplast (metric)

Best, easiest way to build an awesome piggie cage. Cheap, effective and room to be creative!

They have to have a bunch of room to run, and no, they shouldn't share their space with rabbits.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Cubes and coroplast?

How to Make a C&C Cage

..damnit Allie

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Cloudcandy

Thankings you!I'm going to nag my mum to buy some stuff for christmas and help my sister (she's 12) turn her room into a more g.pig friendly area.Hopefully look online to find some cheap ideas
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
*Now with Snark*

I raised cavies and the like for a great many years. That cage is fine - solid floor, plenty of ventilation. Looks actually like a pretty good prefab pig cage for a single piggie.

You could... just as a radical idea keep the perfectly adequate cage he's in and simply make him an outdoor run where he could eat some grass and run around more on nice weather days.

Otherwise if you really think he needs more exercise you could just take him out of the cage and let him run around the room.

*btw* pigs and rabbits do share spaces just fine so long as the bunny or cavy isn't aggressive. Some bunnies like to ear nibble on g pigs.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

We always had our piggies in similar sized cages. To be honest, when they were in their cage they just sat in their hay box and didn't move. Then we'd take them out for a few hours a day to run around outside (in a covered pen) if it was nice out, or to sit in our laps to watch a movie, etc.

I've heard that a tiny child's wading pool makes a decent piggy exercise pen. Waterproof (for potty), easy to deflate and store, and since pigs can't jump or climb, the sides don't have to be high.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Cloudcandy

Thanks all,I think why I feel she should have a bigger cage would be so she could have more of a run around.My sister takes her out of the cage for maybe an hour every two days,but they don't have a garden,she just blocks off part of the house and lets Moo run around,I thought maybe if she had a permanent run attached to her cage then she could decide what she does more?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
Thanks all,I think why I feel she should have a bigger cage would be so she could have more of a run around.My sister takes her out of the cage for maybe an hour every two days,but they don't have a garden,she just blocks off part of the house and lets Moo run around,I thought maybe if she had a permanent run attached to her cage then she could decide what she does more?
If that's what you want to do that's cool, more space isn't a bad thing. I just wanted you to know it's not really required with the cage he's got. The cage he's in looks bigger than most of the single boar cages I had when I raised cavies.

When I was in my hayday about 15 years ago I had 15x15 foot pens for my girls and 4x8 foot pens for my babies and modulars for my single boars which I later went to double occupancies with. They always seemed so much happier in groups or pairs.