Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Top Dog

Default Foster dogs you wish you'd kept?

Every time Matt and I talk about our past foster dogs we end up saying "****, I wish we'd kept Popeye." And I really do - but if we'd kept him we wouldn't have Tipper. It's hard to look back and say that and remember how him and Mu got along (they'd play and play and snuggle and then play some more), especially considering the issues we're having now. He went to a fantastic home but I think we'll always consider him the one that got away.

(For the record - I don't regret getting Tipper for a second - she is the crazy dog I never knew I needed. )

So - what fosters do you wish you'd kept or what random dog do you wish you'd taken home from an adoption event/petfinder/whatever? Pictures are greatly encouraged.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Do I really wish I kept Edna?
I don't think so. She would have been too much for me to handle at this point (although maybe if I kept her, my life wouldn't have gotten so out-of-control ).

But I miss her, every single day. And I still cry sometimes because she's gone. I'm sure she's happy, out of the city and getting along with her brother, with a big yard to play in. I know it wouldn't have been fair to keep her when I work so much, and stuff, and I think it will help when I get another foster dog, she was the last one before I started a new job and am unable to keep a dog with me. I do miss her, but combined with just generally missing having a dog, it's even worse.

I love this picture of her and I snuggling on my bed:

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Just try me..

Not a foster dog (though I do miss Merlin) but I miss Cargo. Cargo was a dog that I bred that got sold to a crazy lady. Of course at the time I didn't know she was crazy. I got him back and he was sooo awesome. He now has a fantastic home, but there are days when I wish I had kept him. He was crazy drivey and talented, fast happy and all around one of the best JRT dog sport prospects I have ever met.

But then I look at the dogs I have and am sad that I dont' have the time or money to do as much as I would like with the dogs I have.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Behavior Nerd

I've kept a lot of fosters actually, but I know my dad wishes we had kept one of my first: Cecil. Cecil was a cattle dog/beagle cross I fostered for the local shelter between senior year of high school and freshman year of college. He ended up being donated to a service dog organization, but was released to a pet home because he liked dogs too much! He was an awesome little dog!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I wish we had kept Levi. At the time we had Blackie, Rose, and Chloe (although Blackie was in his last year) and adding a fourth dog may have been a little much...but he was *such* a good dog. So good, in fact, that when he was being transported to Illinois to go to his new foster home with GBAR he never even made it - the transporters fell in love with him and applied to adopt him that very same day. LOL

All of the others I've felt really good about placing, even though I do miss them at times, especially Kiba and Dexter. Levi is the one I wished we'd kept.

And not technically a "foster" in the traditional sense, but I really, really, really wished that Sadie wasn't able to pass her training and could have been adopted out to us. She was such a brilliant dog and I miss her to pieces still, almost six years later. But of course, it was because she was so brilliant that she is making someone a fantastic guide dog.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Twin 2.0

Even though it's been for the best, there are a number of times that I wish I had been able to keep Virgo.

DSC_0023 by Stephanie Owen/CrazyDog Photography, on Flickr
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

does it count that I wanted to keep Virgo too?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

The havanese we fostered a couple years ago. We called him mr.fluffy.

I could not justify it since he was such an adoptable dog and it was so easy to find him a home. My beagle ginger was also going through all her surgeries for her tumor removal then. But he was such a sweet dog and we all loved him. He would follow us all around and would just lay on you and sleep. I really wanted a small dog and I could have kept him but I didn't.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you dead yet?

She's in her perfect home now, but not a day goes by when I don't think about and dearly miss Wink. Out of all my fosters, I had the strongest connection with her by far.

Zaphod was quite special as well. Most of the newer members probably would not remember him, but he was a very large, abused mixed breed that I pulled from a kill shelter in '08. He was a bit fearful and lashed out a lot when I first got him, and he had some horrifying scars from some previous injury that I think deterred people from adopting him.

When he grew into himself a bit and found his confidence, it became apparent that he and Eve were not ever going to coexist nicely. He was nearly impossible to place, but his angel came for him just days before I had to leave the US and move to Mexico. Happy ending for my good boy.

When I first got him, all skinny and pathetic.

One of the scars on him.

After gaining some weight, muscle and confidence:

Old 10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Are you dead yet?

Also not a dog, but a special foster nonetheless - Max Power. I got him when he was barely a day old, and I truly was convinced he was going to die, and there were a couple of nights where I had set out a little shoebox prepared as a coffin for him.

Turned out that he lived, and he turned into the fattest, sassiest kitten I've ever seen. I couldn't keep another cat, and he's in his forever home now.