Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I know Teagan is ok with our rabbit. They have gotten into a few scuffels, but that was mostly the rabbits fault because it will attack Teagan and because my parents are retarded and allow Buns out with Teagan knowing full well that Buns will attack Teagan, Buns likes our other dogs though.

I should add Teagan grew up with Buns and I know that if there was a wild rabbit outside she would chase it and try and kill it.

My first Westie was also good with our "pet" rodents and ferrets, but if she was outside and there was rodents they were fair game and were gonna die.

So really I think it depends on the dog. My next Westie could hate whatever small animal I have even if it grew up with them

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

My childhood lab used to "mother" our baby ducks. She'd sleep with them, and they'd lay on her back. It was so precious. But that really depends on the dog.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Yes, it is possible.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Show Dog

Thanks guys, I am glad to know it is possible. I really wasn't looking for a puppy (I was more looking at an adult or young adult), so I am glad to know that I can have some type of success with an older dog.

Thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate them

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Taxiderpy

My cousin's gordon setter was her husband's upland bird dog. He spends his days in a house with cockatiels and hanging out with loose chickens, ducks, geese, and peacocks outdoors. He's never tried to mess with them except in the spring when the ganders start beating each other up. TJ freaks out and tries to break up the fight. He never learned. lol.

His mindset seems to be, "if it belongs to my people, I'll protect it." He's a really good dog. One of my favorites.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Mick was a Lab/English Setter mix and, he not only lived with a cockatiel, but loved it. They would nuzzle each other through the cage,and when the bird was playing on the table. Somewhere there's an old roll of film with pictures of Mick looking out the front door with the bird on his back. Mick was about 5 when we got the bird, so it wasn't like he had been raised with it.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

I'd go with a rescue. it is possible, i have had cats with birds, and labs with birds. don't give them the chance to do anything. most rescues and shelters will allow you to let the dog meet the bird before anything is finalized or you have the option to bring the dog back. i wouldn't encourage getting a show lab that can't do what its bred for just because the breeder is breeding dogs that cannot do what they were bred for and i disagree with that.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

I will second everyone else in that it is an individual dog thing. Jack and Missy are both completely fine with my indoor cat but will chase down any cats/squirrels/rabbits/ducks they see outside. They aren't left alone with the cat, however, because the dogs don't have free reign when we're not home.

I have parakeets. When they're in their cage, my cat (and the dogs) has little interest in them - she'll watch them for awhile, but very lazily. When they're out of the cage, all bets are off. I would not trust her, nor my dogs, with the birds while they're out of the cage.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

It is possible. Our hunter(Peewee) who will catch and kill anything outside if given a chance will not even look at Cleo. I can have her safely out when he is in the house. Ivan on the other had has no impulse control. I don't think he would intentionally hurt her, but I'm not willing to take that chance. So they are never out together. He is pretty good at ignoring her now when she is in her cage. Which is very surprising considering she used to antagonize him all the time when he was little.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
*Now with Snark*

Is it possible? Sure, why not. Do I think it's a good idea to get a sporting breed with the expectation that it just should learn to live with X thing against it's nature? Nope, I really don't. It's unfair to the dog.

There was a guy back east that made the local news here because he bought a trained working line GSD, this dog was shipped across country, and was set up with the owner's unrealistic expectation that the dog *had* to just know not to eat the family cat, and be great around kids coming off of the plane. Was it possible he could have gotten a GSD who would have gotten off the plane like that? Yep, but really is the expectation realistic? No, not really.

IME the really birdy labs don't take much to get turned on to OMG BIRD!! IT's a BIRRRDD!! STOP THE CAR I WANT THE BIRDD!!! WHERE'S YOUR GUN?! WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THAT GUN? IT'S A BIRD!!! I'M A DOG!

Then add in the dirty look the dog gives you in the blind if you ever shoot and miss.