Dog Dies When Owner Leaves it Home Alone to Attend Competition

Teal

...ice road...
For the record - I am not at all defending what she did. I agree that she seems a bit self centered for only posting to brag about her dogs, and not posting in anyone else's threads.

Everyone has their certain opinions on things - I expressed mine. It doesn't make me a bad dog owner or in defense of the person this thread is about. However, there is nothing wrong - in my opinion - with leaving dogs with provisions without constant supervision. Like I said - MY dogs, when left, ARE watered and checked on at least once a day by someone... but even that is not okay with some of you, it sound like. Does this happen daily? NO! Does it happen every once in awhile, when I take only one or two dogs somewhere for a weekend? YES! Burn me at the stake for it if you wish... but I feel the same way about those of you that use dog walkers, boarding facilities, and dog parks ;)

Danefied

Everyone has their certain opinions on things - I expressed mine. It doesn't make me a bad dog owner or in defense of the person this thread is about. However, there is nothing wrong - in my opinion - with leaving dogs with provisions without constant supervision. Like I said - MY dogs, when left, ARE watered and checked on at least once a day by someone... but even that is not okay with some of you, it sound like. Does this happen daily? NO! Does it happen every once in awhile, when I take only one or two dogs somewhere for a weekend? YES! Burn me at the stake for it if you wish... but I feel the same way about those of you that use dog walkers, boarding facilities, and dog parks ;)
If all you're doing is expressing your opinion, why then get so defensive when others express theirs?
No, its not okay for ME and MY dogs for me to leave them alone 23 out of 24 hours. Apparently it is for you and yours, and repeatedly on this thread it has been mentioned that people do similar, and its not illegal, and plenty of dogs are fine with it. So again, why so defensive?

FWIW, if providing comforts to dogs is babying them, my dogs are totally babied. Not because they need it, but because I want to baby them. I figure its the least I can do what with everything they provide for me.
Not sure how a dog park falls under the babying category though. But hey, there is a lot in this whole conversation I'm clueless about LOL.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Wah, Wah, Wah.

There is a big difference between having someone check on your dogs daily, like per say your parents, or leaving them alone without anyone to check on them at all and be ready to take the dog to a vet if it gets into poison, as opposed to just leaving it and dealing with a dead dog when you return.

My dogs safety comes first, before my bank account, before my play time, and before my competitions. If that means I take my extra two dogs with me when I go and compete with my younger two dogs then so be it. Yup, it sucks to drag around two more bulldogs, but if I can't be comfortable they'll have safe supervision whilst left at home then I won't risk it. I made a choice to own four dogs and I better be able to care for them, even when I go out of town, to the best and safest abilities possible.

Dekka

Just try me..
There is a big difference between having someone check on your dogs daily, like per say your parents, or leaving them alone without anyone to check on them at all and be ready to take the dog to a vet if it gets into poison, as opposed to just leaving it and dealing with a dead dog when you return.

My dogs safety comes first, before my bank account, before my play time, and before my competitions. If that means I take my extra two dogs with me when I go and compete with my younger two dogs then so be it. Yup, it sucks to drag around two more bulldogs, but if I can't be comfortable they'll have safe supervision whilst left at home then I won't risk it. I made a choice to own four dogs and I better be able to care for them, even when I go out of town, to the best and safest abilities possible.
The whole post is excellent, but I particularly like the bolded part.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
It's interesting that her about me mentions 12 dogs, and no Akita in there on chaz. Screams dog lover. Love the dogs but the one that lives in the store.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Dogs are animals, and quite hardy ones at that.
but to put a dog, an animal that we have domesticated to need/depend on us for care, in a home/crate alone for that long without anybody checking in on them and just expect nothing bad to happen is just.. totally irresponsible.

This poor poor dog, RIP :(

Picklepaige

I think she really does love her dogs...I'm friends with her on Facebook, and the vast majority of her pictures are of her dogs just playing and relaxing in the house.

The Akita was very dog-aggressive, I think that's why he was kept away from all the other dogs. Also, this thing happened over a year ago.

I dunno, going by her Facebook page and articles I've read, I don't know what to believe.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It is sad, and it's also sad just how judgmental people can be. Nobody has any idea what happened. She left her dog longer than most of us would, BUT a dog should be just fine without constant supervision for 24 hours. A dog should be absolutely fine in 80 degree temperatures. A dog should be perfectly able to survive without food for 24 hours and no water, though this dog did have access to water.

There is nothing reported in either report that indicates any wrong doing of any sort yet here everyone is to get up on their pedestals and attack and act like you love pets more than someone that just lost their's, a person you've never met.

Brattina88

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It is sad, and it's also sad just how judgmental people can be. Nobody has any idea what happened. She left her dog longer than most of us would, BUT a dog should be just fine without constant supervision for 24 hours. A dog should be absolutely fine in 80 degree temperatures. A dog should be perfectly able to survive without food for 24 hours and no water, though this dog did have access to water.

There is nothing reported in either report that indicates any wrong doing of any sort yet here everyone is to get up on their pedestals and attack and act like you love pets more than someone that just lost their's, a person you've never met.
This is where, in my opinion ;) we will just have to agree to disagree.
Just because I dog should be physically able to, doesn't mean they should be left alone that long... I agree with Fran...
Anything could happen - getting into a food, cleaner, heck allergic reaction to a bug bite, whatever. It's too long, IMHO

No pedistal, or attacking, here.

I wonder if people live by the same standards they seem to hold everyone else to?

I don't think a dog "should" be left alone that long either, but I have certainly left my dogs alone for 12 hours or slightly more on a handful of occasions over the past decade or two, simply because there wasn't another feasible option to me at the time. Not perfect, but not criminal either.

let's face it, your dog could die in an hour if left unattended. A breeder I know just lost a great brood bitch to bloat. Fed her that night, took her out, let her back in and went to bed. Woke up and she was dead, necropsy showed bloat, I suppose he should spend a few nights in jail too huh? Are we allowed to sleep as dog owners? I mean, you're not supervising your dog, and they can certainly die while you sleep.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ok I know the US judicial system is flawed. But if you get sentenced to 30 days in jail and 12 months probation, I tend to see that as indication of wrong doing.

so, you're telling me, from the two reports posted on this thread, you see criminal activity?

and OJ was set free and Casey Anthony gets to go to a tropical island, does that mean you tend to see an indication of upstanding citizens?

Dekka

Just try me..
I know all about the OJ case. They had to throw out lots of evidence due to police/forensic stupidity. (who drives around with samples in their patrol car?!) But since it should err on the side of letting 'bad guys go' vs sentencing innocent people yes I do take that as an indication (not proof, but an indication) of wrong doing.

You know reasonable doubt and all that....

(and FWIW yes I see leaving a dog with no one to check on it for more than a day to be neglectful in most cases)

and I see a dog, perfectly capable to be left alone for 24 hours, considering dogs have done that for people for thousands of years in fields, on farms, in shops and at homes, to be something that can happen on occassion, and NOT be considered neglectful by any means.

All those LGD owners across the globe, using dogs to protect their livelihoods, putting them out with animals for their entire lives, criminals. People that leave a dog in their shop over the weekend, Criminals. Well meaning and loving dog owners that find themselves in a situation where they have to leave their dog for a period of time that should be perfectly fine for any dog to survive for without supervision....Criminals.

What's the limit for criminal activity? Am I allowed to go to work in the day? is 6 hours too much? a dog can certainly die in that time/ 2 hours? 8? what's the limit that won't make one a criminal? 24 hours is hardly a week, and hardly a stretch for a dog to somehow "survive" Sheesh, it's a wonder they aren't extinct by now, with the 24 hour rule and all.

Picklepaige

Reecie stays unsupervised for 24 hours all. the. time. She's been an outside dog all her life, and when we tried to bring her inside, she stressed out to the point of becoming depressed and refusing to eat. All she does when inside is pace and pretty much do the "dog version" of hyperventilate.

When we go on vacation, my grandpa comes by to take care of the animals (we board Maggie,) but he doesn't stay at home with them. They are all left alone unless he's feeding them. I don't see how that's neglectful? Reecie would much rather be left alone all day than be boarded or kept inside.

Then again she's a bit...off, and has never cared for attention or affection.

Dekka

Just try me..
There are lots of LGD around here. They aren't locked up in shops... can't do much flock protection in there. If you lock one up and leave it alone where it can't go look for food water or a more climate controlled spot then yes I would say that is negligent.

And you don't HAVE to leave a dog for a competition. If someone left their dog to attend their mother's funeral or something I would see it as an emergency. To go show your other dogs is not an emergency.

I also think it would be wrong to leave a horse in a stall for 24 hours with out someone making sure it had water and food. (and I have seen automatic waterers pooped in so the horse can't drink, buckets broken and once a horse with a hoof through the upper bars of her stall...) And livestock have lower levels of 'care' than pets.

Dekka

Just try me..
Reecie stays unsupervised for 24 hours all. the. time. She's been an outside dog all her life, and when we tried to bring her inside, she stressed out to the point of becoming depressed and refusing to eat. All she does when inside is pace and pretty much do the "dog version" of hyperventilate.

When we go on vacation, my grandpa comes by to take care of the animals (we board Maggie,) but he doesn't stay at home with them. They are all left alone unless he's feeding them. I don't see how that's neglectful? Reecie would much rather be left alone all day than be boarded or kept inside.

Then again she's a bit...off, and has never cared for attention or affection.

But the point is you have someone who comes and checks on her. You don't just leave and hope all is well when you come back...

and you don't HAVE to leave your dog for 30 minutes, but most do. In fact, I'd say every single dog owned by every person on this forum and all over the world has been left all alone with zero supervision for 12 hours or more, most probably have hit close to the 24 hour mark at least once in their lives for one reason or another. I bet few on this thread would admit to it. Dogs can die in the blink of an eye. A day without a human is nothing for dogs. Like I said, i'm surprised they aren't extinct with this 24 hour rule. It's amazing they're still alive.

A dog left alone in a shop, climate controlled 80 degrees with water would have a relative increase of danger of zero over one left alone for 5 hours in a house. The only difference is the one in your mind.

the dog was left in a shop, big deal. most of you would like to crucify her for that while she was at a competition. ignoring that for the entire week, she was at work WITH her dog, unlike the majority of owners that have to leave their dogs at home, unsupervised for hours, and it works for millions upon millions of dog owners.

Dekka

Just try me..
I trial, I have 7 dogs. I don't have neighbours who can check on them. We do manage to go to dog events. Sometimes that means we take all 7. Other times that means we pay someone to come over and let them out/check on them a couple of times a day.

I gave examples (with horses.. but I have ones with dogs too) of how something that might not be an issue for a few hours, even a day CAN become life threatenign if left for 24 hours. Lets say the dog knocks over the water. Not nice, but not life threatening for a few hours. In a hot shop for 24 or more hours it does become life threatening....

Since you seem to love to argue its ok for 24 hours because its ok for 30... where would you like it to stop? Is it ok to leave a dog for a month in fact a month is a little smaller in magnatude in the opposite direction. So a month should be just fine if there is enough food and water right?

Members online

No members online now.