Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Totally seprate from what may or may not happened....

How you leave a dog likely plays a big deal. Sport when he was young, ~ 9 months, was left in a crate for a weekend with no provisions whilst his then owners went away. Luckily a neighbour heard him screaming and saved him. Nothing happened to Sport, the neighbour told the owners to never do that again or they would be reported...

Not that I would do it, but leaving a dog in a kennel run, assuming the dog was used to a kennel run with plenty of water and food and access to some form of climate control is different than leaving a dog in a totally unfamiliar/restrictive way.
Here is an article that you might want to read (that goes for everyone). It does not seem the dog was crated nor in unfamiliar surroundings.

Dog dies after weekend fasting, owner facing charges | wtsp.com

And yes I think Kat was right when she said the "homeopathic" hype is about the 1 day fasting.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Just try me..

No I realize the dog was not crated. As I started the post, separate from what may or may not have happened... People were talking about when does it become a problem.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
No I realize the dog was not crated. As I started the post, separate from what may or may not have happened... People were talking about when does it become a problem.
Oh ok. I somehow read that as "maybe separate or maybe not from what happened" but I see now what you actually said.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

That second news story makes it sound like they're trying to pin the dog's death on the fasting. I'm so confused... Its not illegal to leave your dog unattended for 24 hours, its not illegal to not feed your dog for 24 hours... There was no autopsy done on the dog... For all they know the dog had DCM or something and would have dropped dead owner present or not, fed or not, hot or not....
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

So she kept the Akita at the pet store 24/7 and the other 5 at home? So you compete the other 5 and screw the one. Nice.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
That second news story makes it sound like they're trying to pin the dog's death on the fasting. I'm so confused... Its not illegal to leave your dog unattended for 24 hours, its not illegal to not feed your dog for 24 hours... There was no autopsy done on the dog... For all they know the dog had DCM or something and would have dropped dead owner present or not, fed or not, hot or not....
The minimum you absolutely must provide to a dog is food, fresh water, and shelter. Sure, the dog had (inappropriately hot) shelter, but did not have water nor food when she was found. That there is considered abuse in the eyes of the law. They did not know when she was coming back, when she was gone, etc.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

That is disgusting. No animal should be left alone for that amount of time no matter how much food of water they have left for them.

My Photos
Old 10-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I would never leave my dogs overnight, but I have left my cats. Honeslty, now I am wondering what the difference is? Both could get suddenly sick or injured etc. It seems pretty common for people to leave cats....but I can figure out why I felt that was ok and not dogs? I mean the main reason was potty breaks, going outside...but if thats a non issue, what else is there?
IME, people find leaving a cat alone overnight fine because they know people have outdoor cats, who they can go days without seeing. For the most part, cats will not eat just to empty their bowl, so you don't have to worry about the cats eating all the food right away, whereas some dogs will. There are also domestic cats and feral cats. For the most part, dogs are domesticated, and depend on people. Cats are not nearly as domesticated, and do not depend on people to survive the way dogs do.

That said, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even leave my hamsters overnight when I had them, and made sure somebody was here to check in on them... or else they came with me.

IMO, if you have so many pets that you cannot take them all with you, and you do not have a reliable person to at the very least check in with them, you have too many pets.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-01-2011, 07:09 PM
...ice road...

Wow, I didn't know she had an Akita.

But, nothing about this story makes sense. A dog doesn't die from not eating for one or two days, unless it's already emaciated. From the picture in the second news link, the dog is NOT emaciated.

I honestly don't see why some people think it is SO extreme to leave a dog with food and water and space to move about for this amount of time. They are dogs... It's not leaving a helpless baby. When I go to competitions and don't take all my dogs, the others have someone water then once a day (until I get my secured water buckets set up so they don't knock them over) and to check on them - but that is because they are outside. If I was leaving a dog inside, with no risk of wildlife incidents (bee stings, snake bites, etc.) it really isn't that unreasonable.

They really should have done an autopsy on the dog to determine WHY it died... since nothing described in ANY of the articles is cause for death, unless the dog DID die of heatstroke. But I just don't see it, honestly.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
[b]Wow, I didn't know she had an Akita.
If the dates on the news story are correct, I believe this incident occurred before she joined Chaz.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13