Dog Dies When Owner Leaves it Home Alone to Attend Competition

Teal

...ice road...
If the dates on the news story are correct, I believe this incident occurred before she joined Chaz.

I know her from another forum that she has been a member of for quite some time... She never ONCE mentioned an Akita, and I've seen pictures of 12-13 dogs in her pack.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

I know her from another forum that she has been a member of for quite some time... She never ONCE mentioned an Akita, and I've seen pictures of 12-13 dogs in her pack.
Other people remember her from other forums, and remember an Akita being mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if she did not mention the Akita though, I mean, she only mentions any dogs to brag about new titles.

Teal

...ice road...
Other people remember her from other forums, and remember an Akita being mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if she did not mention the Akita though, I mean, she only mentions any dogs to brag about new titles.

I can't recall her having mentioned him, though she may have... but I know for sure I've never seen a picture of him. I guess that's what I should have said lol

Danefied

I honestly don't see why some people think it is SO extreme to leave a dog with food and water and space to move about for this amount of time. They are dogs... It's not leaving a helpless baby. When I go to competitions and don't take all my dogs, the others have someone water then once a day (until I get my secured water buckets set up so they don't knock them over) and to check on them - but that is because they are outside. If I was leaving a dog inside, with no risk of wildlife incidents (bee stings, snake bites, etc.) it really isn't that unreasonable.
Well on a forum where most consider their dogs as companions and family members, yes, that is going to be considered extreme and negligent to leave a loved family member unattended for a day or more.

Do I know dogs who's owners go away for the weekend and the dog stays in an 8X8 kennel or tied to a tree for the weekend - with someone checking on them IF they're lucky? Yup, know tons of dogs like that. Its not illegal. Its not right either thought IMO. I wouldn't have a dog in a run personally, no matter how nice or secure the run, but that's me. My dogs are companions first, and every dog person I hang out with IRL is the same way - even the "serious" competitors.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Dude, just because she only posts on a forum to brag about her dogs titles doesn't make her a bad dog owner. That does not correlate to me at all.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
She wouldn't bother mentioning him if she doesn't compete him. It's not like she posts in anyone else's threads, nor is it like she ever posts unless it's a brag with pics. Good number of us talk about the endless brag whoring, and just never respond hoping maybe she'll stop or become a more active participant in something other than her own life.

Teal

...ice road...
Well on a forum where most consider their dogs as companions and family members, yes, that is going to be considered extreme and negligent to leave a loved family member unattended for a day or more.

Do I know dogs who's owners go away for the weekend and the dog stays in an 8X8 kennel or tied to a tree for the weekend - with someone checking on them IF they're lucky? Yup, know tons of dogs like that. Its not illegal. Its not right either thought IMO. I wouldn't have a dog in a run personally, no matter how nice or secure the run, but that's me. My dogs are companions first, and every dog person I hang out with IRL is the same way - even the "serious" competitors.

My dogs are the only family I have. But, I don't treat my dogs like children. Dogs are hardy animals, and I think people baby them far too much. I know that most people don't share that view, and that's fine.

I personally think that kennels and chain spots are more humane than leaving a dog in a shipping crate while at work, but most people don't agree with me on that one either. I am lucky to live in an area where I can have outside set ups for my dogs without having to worry about them being stolen/poisoned. My dogs get to potty whenever they want, drink whenever they want, and burn off some energy while enjoying the weather. When the weather isn't appropriate, the dogs are inside on tie outs... I avoid crates whenever possible. I would NEVER send my dogs to a boarding facility or hire a pet sitter - to me, that is FAR riskier than having them stay somewhere I know and trust with little to no contact for a day or two.

Dekka

Just try me..
I dunno, I see it as related.

Not being a bad owner, but perhaps being a little too interested in the titles-not the dogs themselves.

Only posting pics of dogs to brag. Only posting to talk about how great she and her dogs are. I mean I like to brag too, and I do... but I dont' post pics of the scores. I post pics of things that are cute, silly etc. There are a few other people who just post their pics, but whilst I find them all annoying they dont' rub me the wrong way. They just seem like very self centred people who really like their dog.

But to ONLY post to brag or show off, and to NEVER post in anyone else's threads... That to me is so bizarre, I mean there is 'normal' forum behaviour (and 'normal is a pretty wide category online lol) And this isn't it. I can tell you things about many a chaz dog (and chazzer) that I have never met. Because their owners post more about their dogs than just to brag. I can tell you about Meg, Mia, Summer, Teagan, Victor, Frodo and more. I have never met these dogs IRL just through here. For all this persons' posts I can't tell you anythign about their dogs other than they compete in stuffs.

Its kind of hard to explain, its like meeting someone and thinking they are a little 'off'.

Danefied

I love how telling it is when you look at who defends whom with the devils advocate act. :D
I'm pretty sure this wasn't directed at me, but just wanted to say I'm not defending or for that matter condemning this person. I just find it a little (a lot) odd for someone to get jail time just because they left a dog unattended for 24 hours. I feel like there has to be more to the story. Dogs don't die in 24 hours without food or even without water. And its not even clear if the dog did or did not have water... Its just confusing, and honestly a bit disturbing.

Dekka

Just try me..
I love how telling it is when you look at who defends whom with the devils advocate act. :D
What am I missing? I am not part of this 'other' forum. I see who is defending whom, but I thought it was all just conversation. Someone want to explain the significance of this? (here or PM)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm pretty sure this wasn't directed at me, but just wanted to say I'm not defending or for that matter condemning this person. I just find it a little (a lot) odd for someone to get jail time just because they left a dog unattended for 24 hours. I feel like there has to be more to the story. Dogs don't die in 24 hours without food or even without water. And its not even clear if the dog did or did not have water... Its just confusing, and honestly a bit disturbing.
Ok so I may be missing something... but I don't think she got jail time? I am pretty sure she got nothing but a slap on the wrist...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
What am I missing? I am not part of this 'other' forum. I see who is defending whom, but I thought it was all just conversation. Someone want to explain the significance of this? (here or PM)
Pretty sure she's not talking about you... you has a PM :p

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Naw, I agree with what you've said about the title obsession Dekka. I find leaving dogs alone for days at a time to be neglectful and I'm just finding humor with the devils advocates.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I will agree, like I said on page one, it's disconcerting and confusing. The public is likely not told all the details and it's unfortunate that a seemingly upstanding owner be the cause of such an unfair death. That said, I'm more disappointed in the people who happily preach the acceptableness of leaving animals or days at a time without care, that is where humanity or lack there of again, depresses me.

Danefied

I will agree, like I said on page one, it's disconcerting and confusing. The public is likely not told all the details and it's unfortunate that a seemingly upstanding owner be the cause of such an unfair death. That said, I'm more disappointed in the people who happily preach the acceptableness of leaving animals or days at a time without care, that is where humanity or lack there of again, depresses me.
Agreed :(
I don't consider it "babying" my dogs to make sure they're not alone for hours and hours on end. But hey, what do I know....

Zhucca

Lab Love
I'm completely missing something as I don't know who this member is. ???

Sad story, obviously. I don't think it's appropriate to leave your dogs for that long.

Brattina88

For the record, when I posted on the very first page I was unaware that this could be someone that we "know." In my opinion, it makes NO difference to me, At All, and I stand by what I said.

I also don't think that it is 'babying' a dog to make sure they're checked on every once in a while. To me, it's common sense. Dogs can NOT turn the air up, call for help, get their own water, etc.... That's why we are responsible for their care, legally and otherwise - not the other way around :rofl1:

When I lived at the trailer, the power went out on a hot summer day... had I said "screw it" and not went home after work, not been responsible and went straight home and (I checked on them on lunch like I did everyday)... no doubt in my mind I would've later came home to dead ferrets and at the very least dogs experiencing heat stroke after 8+ hours. And believe me, with school and work and my friends, they used to ask me to go out and do things after work all the time... But when you have a pet(s) you have a responsibility. If you cannot afford to have someone to check in on them, or place them with someone who can - then maybe you have too many dogs or maybe you don't need to have any at all.

No, we don't have all the facts, that is so typical of media reporting :eek: but I have a hard time believing that even if the dog was ill for unrelated reasons, if someone would've checked on him... that they wouldn't have noticed anything was "off" :confused:

Members online

No members online now.