Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 09-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default Dog Dies When Owner Leaves it Home Alone to Attend Competition

Quote:
LARGO Carla Ann Thomas is an animal lover who trains dogs, plays with dogs, sleeps with her dogs and says: "My dogs are my life."

But a jury on Wednesday found her guilty of animal neglect because she left her dog Sache alone for a weekend last year without proper provisions. Sache died.

Pinellas County Judge Donald Horrox read letters and heard testimony from many people praising her love and talent for her beloved pets. But Horrox said evidence in the two-day trial showed she suffered a serious "lapse of judgment."

The jury found Thomas had neglected her dog either by leaving her in an enclosed area without sufficient food and water; or doing so without proper ventilation and room to exercise.

The jury was not required to say which of those options it thought had occurred, but Horrox said it could have been both. Horrox sentenced Thomas, 31, to 12 months of probation with 30 days in the Pinellas County Jail.

"I think some jail time in this case is warranted based on the seriousness of an animal dying," Horrox said.

He allowed her to continue owning five other dogs, but imposed several conditions requiring her to get them veterinary care and not to use homeopathic remedies on them unless approved by a licensed veterinarian.

Defense attorneys vigorously attacked the state's case by pointing out no one ever autopsied Sache, a 5-year-old Akita, to see how the dog died.

"No necropsy, no clue, not guilty," said Assistant Public Defender James Maskowitz.

But Assistant State Attorney Kaitlyn Bagnoto said afterward that it was not necessary for the state to prove how the dog died, but to prove Thomas neglected Sache as defined by state law.

The case stems from an April 2010 weekend when Thomas was away from Healthy Paws, a health food store for dogs and cats Thomas used to own in St. Petersburg.

She was away at a "flyball tournament," in which her other dogs participated in a ball-chasing competition.

Thomas fed the dog on a Friday and left her plenty of water, Maskowitz said. On Saturday, while Thomas was at the tournament, Sache was fasting. Thomas was having Sache fast one day a week to help the dog get over a skin condition, Maskowitz said. The dog also had a "social anxiety disorder," he said. Thomas was planning to return Sunday.

That day, her landlord, Abraham Reid, went to the business at 2250 Central Ave., looked inside and could see Sache lying motionless. He testified this week that he saw overturned bowls and that the room appeared ransacked.

"Doggie, doggie, doggie," Reid called at the time. But there was no response. He called animal control, and later, the police.

St. Petersburg Officer Tim Rutherford testified that he smelled an "extremely pungent odor of feces" inside the business and did not feel or hear any air conditioning when he responded to the call.

He later spoke to Thomas, who acknowledged being away for the weekend, leaving some food and "two small bowls of water." And, Rutherford said, "she said the room actually gets quite warm when the AC's turned off."
Pet store owner found guilty of animal neglect - St. Petersburg Times

Leaving a dog all alone to go to a flyball tournament? I can't imagine doing that. Why not have a friend come and take care of the dog? Or get the landlord to check in? It just baffles me.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Love My Mutt <3

She doesn't care about the dogs, she cares about the titles after the dogs name. Pretty bull that she was allowed to continue having dogs and got off so easy, to continue the abuse with no real reason to stop.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I find myself nervous leaving our dogs for 12 hours, hell any more than a standard 8 hours, more than 24 without supervision and not during an emergency? It's unspeakable. It's confusing how someone can come across as such a competent, caring owner and then have this come to light.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Animal lover? Riiiight

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I can't even imagine...poor dogs

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Ummm, isn't this person on the board? She recently posted some trial results with the same name attached.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhound View Post
Ummm, isn't this person on the board? She recently posted some trial results with the same name attached.

Yes, it is. And, she posted pictures of six dogs.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

That is absolutely unspeakable. And the dog had separation anxiety to top it off.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Uh just uh.

If your not even going to provide basic care for your dog frankly you don't deserve to have any.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I'd like to know how the dog died.

I've certainly left pets (cats, rabbits, livestock) for a couple days without checking on them. Gave them multiple water bowls with rocks in them etc.

According to another article she left the dog with 4 bowls of water, set the thermostat at 80 and pointed a fan at his bed. According to her someone must have mucked with the AC.

How was the dog neglected? Do they have proof it didn't have sufficient water? Do they have proof it overheated due to lack of ventilation or whatever?

Now I'm not sure why she chose 80 degrees (pretty warm!) or what the shop looked like (big windows etc) but if the dog died of heatstroke, which seems most likely, it was still an accident. She already feels terrible. She's not going to do it again. And the dog might have died of something totally unrelated. No one knows.

People make mistakes and misjudgments with all kinds of animals all the time, people on this forum have, sometimes the animal dies as a result. That's life.

Personally I think it's somewhat asinine to charge her.