Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Beau's foot (warning: somewhat graphic)

I just wanted some more opinions.

Long story short, He ripped a toenail off. He's been to the vet for this a few times, was put on antibiotics a couple days after it happened. Of course it happened on a weekend so the vet was closed...

Then about a week later noticed it was very swollen and infected looking. Put him on more antibiotics and been soaking it in epsom salt daily.

I think it's been 2 weeks since the injury. He's ripped off nails before but had no infection or issues with them like this. Do you think I should take him in to the vet's again? It's not nearly as swollen and greenish as it was but it's still looking not so great either.

Sept 20:

Sept 29:

Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I think I would... is he still on antibiotics? He may need a stronger one, and maybe even a round of pred. Poor bubba. =<

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Does it feel hot or stink? If not, I'd just keep treating it with the epsom soaks and stuff. That looks like granular tissue, but it's hard to tell in the photos. Is he on crate rest, or is he messing with it at all?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think I would... is he still on antibiotics? He may need a stronger one, and maybe even a round of pred. Poor bubba. =<
Poor Bubba is right. He's limping around with a cone on his head. He's so dramatic too about it lol.

He is still on antibiotics. They said to finish out the bottle and there's maybe 4 more days left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Does it feel hot or stink? If not, I'd just keep treating it with the epsom soaks and stuff. That looks like granular tissue, but it's hard to tell in the photos. Is he on crate rest, or is he messing with it at all?
It smells a little I think. Not very strong but different than his other foot. doesn't feel hot.

He's not on crate rest but has been mostly inactive lately. He has a cone on so he would stop chewing it. We put a real cone on (the one we have now was Ada's and way too big so we had to trim it down then put tape on it) but he was finding ways to chew on it. That's been taken care of now and he can't reach it that I know of. I haven't seen him chew it in a couple of days.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM
swimming upstream

ouchie ouchie ouchie!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Fila Love

Poor little guy. That looks very painful. I would probably take him in one more time.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

I would be concerned about a tumor at this point if it isn't healing. His toe may need to be amputated and sent in for pathology! We've removed a toe on a scottie and a boxer lately. Both malignant, neither healing from a supposed infection.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm All Ears

How could it be a tumor? Just curious because I was pretty much 100% sure it's justa result from the lost toenail.

The toenail was split and barely dangling. The vet actually had to remove the rest of the toenail itself. I don't know how it got caught or pulled off in the first place, but it looked like someone had been murdered in the kitchen.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 PM
*Now with Snark*

Naw... just inflamed. Like an ear rip toe rips just take forever to heal, especially on those little hare footed buggars. I had a rabbit once who took over a year to repair a particularly bad one to good as new.

I'd just keep doing what you're doing and see how it looks when the antibiotics run out. If it looks punky/pink/drippy again, I'd take him back in.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Top Dog

Is he licking to cause the irritation on the toe?