Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Behavior Nerd

I was taught never to put PTS on the table with a client - it is not your call to make; if they ask you specifically what you think of it, or they are considering doing something that will put others at risk (i.e. rehoming an aggressive dog) you may discuss it, but to tell someone to do it? Never.

TBH I'm rather appalled that so many people have jumped right to this with a dog in a home - a shelter dog, yes, I would totally agree that PTS would be the most responsible, but not an owned dog with someone who is actively working with him and especially not when management is easy enough (muzzle when out of the apartment) and he's just gone through a major life change!

Amber, you were taking a reactive dog class with Bamm through your job right? How is that going? Does the instructor have any additional input/suggestions other than acknowledging that he does have issues?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
I dont think he needs to be PTS. Or at least not considered for a while. He seems like a dog who could be managed with a muzzle and crated when people are over. That's if his blood panel and check up say everything is OK.
This. I wouldn't even think PTS until everything comes up normal and management just isn't working out. I have a dog that I can't enjoy as a normal dog, but I enjoy him in other ways. He can't be out when we have people over unless he is being heavily managed but for me that is not reason to PTS. We make it work.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

So what about the mention that OP is considering having a child? Is this the type of dog that would be safe around a baby? From what I'm reading, no. And if nothing is medically wrong and it's a "he's NQR" issue, then sorry, but PTS may be the kindest option for him.

I feel like this is a telling statement: "I don't trust him not to hurt someone right now."
Old 09-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
So what about the mention that OP is considering having a child? Is this the type of dog that would be safe around a baby? From what I'm reading, no. And if nothing is medically wrong and it's a "he's NQR" issue, then sorry, but PTS may be the kindest option for him.

I feel like this is a telling statement: "I don't trust him not to hurt someone right now."
Cross the bridge when it comes there... There's no baby in the foreseeable future as they arn't even trying right now.

I just feel there is a lot that needs to be checked before putting such a drastic measure on the table. I don't trust Classic not to hurt someone, but I trust my management style to keep him from getting into that situation in the first place.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Squishy face

I wouldn't be so quick to say PTS.

The Bamm that Amber talks about in this thread isn't a Bamm I have ever seen, personally. I even watched him at my house for a week a few years ago, he was really well-behaved, and he even met several of my friends without a problem. I think one of the differences is that Amber was not there. He is very protective over Amber.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Cross the bridge when it comes there... There's no baby in the foreseeable future as they arn't even trying right now.

I just feel there is a lot that needs to be checked before putting such a drastic measure on the table. I don't trust Classic not to hurt someone, but I trust my management style to keep him from getting into that situation in the first place.
Exactly. Is she preg right now? No (That we know of ). If she was preg then maybe we would be having a different discussion

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Show Dog

I'm gobsmacked anyone would advise having a dog PTS like this purely from reading something about it over the net.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I can understand why people are saying it, though. Chloe isn't a stable dog. I can't trust her in all situations and I certainly will never, ever be able to trust her around young children. She's never bitten (made contact a few times, but never broke skin) and she's manageable enough for us to not have a problem in 98% of situations (and I've worked with her enough that in the 2% problem area she doesn't try to make a full out contact do damage bite).

But if she were to ever seriously hurt someone, or consistently tried to seriously hurt someone? If I were to have a child in her lifetime and it were not possible for me to keep them separated? If my lifestyle changed so dramatically that management wasn't plausible? I'd likely have to put her down. I would be absolutely devastated, but that would be what I would have to do.

So, yes, saying PTS just because something isn't medically wrong with him is a bit "extreme", but saying PTS because management isn't possible...nothing wrong with that at all.

Either way, I hope things work out for you guys and you can figure out what is causing him to react so strongly. (((hugs)))

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
overdogged

I think the blood panel is a good thought. I also think that it may not be unreasonable to consider anxiety medication if that's warranted. If he is that stressed, helping him chemically to feel more comfortable will allow you to do behavior modification with him. And the muzzle to keep him and everybody else safe when out of the house.

If you decide that putting him to sleep is the only good option, then it is. But I think there's quite a bit of space between here and there at this point.

Wishing you guys the best.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I agree with elegy as far as thyroid panel and maybe some anxiety meds, whether you go herbal remedy or something far more chemical. It sucks that right now you are in an apartment and taking him out in public for walks is about the only chance for exercise he has, but I agree that it's manageable with a muzzle and possibly seeking out some less populated places or taking him out super early in the day or very late at night when fewer people are likely to be around.

I know it's a different situation but because of Pepper's fear issues with people, she will probably be the kind of dog who will need to be crated when people are over... it's just not fair to her to expect her to be out and about with all kinds of people in her face. I still want to socialize her more and see if I can't get her to be more ballsy and confident, and I also have thought about a thyroid panel on her, but right now I am expecting to have a dog that needs to be put away whenever people come over, and a dog where walking her is difficult because she is just plain unsure and afraid of so much. I know a lot of us want dogs for the social aspect and to take them everywhere but it just doesn't always work out like that... it doesn't mean they aren't still good dogs though.

If you guys end up pregnant you may have a different situation on your hands, but for right now I think you need to just play the cards you're dealt now. One thing at a time, one day at a time.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog