Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

My contract will have a spay/neuter contract..if I go with a pet puppy. Either way I can not breed my puppy without first having consent from my breeder. This does not bother me, I have no intentions to ever breed a dog. If I am to neuter my pup, my breeder would prefer it not to be before the age of 2..for him to mature properly, if it needed to be done for other reason's first then she would support that.
I would not buy a puppy from a breeder that does not health test there dogs, and their pups before coming home if there are things that can be tested for at that young age.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 PM
On second thought...

I probably won't breed, but if I have working&show quality, health tested, sound temperament, etc, I want the option.

I guess it's like helmet or seat belt laws. I will always wear one, but I like living in a state where I have the choice not to.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Is the spay/neuter contract for pet quality puppies only? Who determines if the dog is pet quality? (like, say you think the dog is pet quality or will never be a great show dog, but the owner differs and wants to show him) What if they wanted to keep the dog intact for its entire life, but never breed it?

Who defines what is neglect or mistreated? You or the law? What if I break my leg or am on bed rest for a month or two for whatever reason and my dog is getting minimal exercise for the time, is that neglect? What if you sell a pup (or do you?) to someone across the country, who pays for it to get back to you?

I have similar ideas as this breeder, but the pool of potential breeders is exceptionally small with a rarer breed, so I'm sure it's hard to find a perfect match.

I'm not trying to pick apart your contract, or say it isn't good. I'm just asking because I'm still trying to decide for myself what I'm willing to sign and what I'm not.

Ah. This breeder starts at more than I thought I was willing to spend. But I mean, if this dog lives to about 12 years, it's still only $15 a month.
No problem. I love questions. Makes ME think about things as well.

The spay/neuter is for pet puppies only. A altered dog can not show in CKC, and we really do not have UKC here.

I do the grading at 8 weeks old. Since the puppies dont go home until 10(ish) weeks than that gives me and the buyers time to exchange pics, critiques and what not to decide who is pick puppy and who falls under them and were. Some dogs will be obvious pets.

Basically I decide who is pet vs show quality with the help of friends of mine (who are very experienced in the breed and with grading puppies) as well as my mentor.

Should you buy a puppy from me (for sake of argument) who was borderline, I would sell the puppy to you on either full registration or limited registration. Depending on the person and situation. If I sold the puppy on limited I would be happy to lift it and put full reg on the puppy should he/she turn out as show quality. This would be decided by me, with the help of handlers, my mentor, and other knowledgeable people.

If you wanted to keep the dog intact for its entire life, well it would depend on the person. Someone I knew well and trusted 110% then yes they could keep the dog intact. If it was someone who was iffy to have a intact dog then I would either not sell them a puppy, or put the spay/neuter in place.

As for neglect unfortunately it is the laws term. As I would have no legal leg to stand on, should I repo the dog and it was not legally being neglected, unless VERY specific things were in the contract, and even then it could be iffy.

I would try not to be a @ss. If you broke your arm but were doing your best for the dog, then no I wouldn't repo the dog. I know what its like to deal with a @ss and I won't do that to someone. I would help you out by either caring for the dog myself (if you were close) or putting you in touch with people who could perhaps walk the dog for you, day care, ect...

I would sell across the country if you had EXCELENT references from people I trusted. In that case we would work something out for shipping. Either a transport train, I pay half the shipping, it depends on the situation.

As for prices (I know you didn't ask) Dobermans are $2000CND and Beagles are $1100CND. They are fairly average prices. Now, a 6 month old trained show puppy would be more, a older re home would be less (if anything). I am willing to work with people as well.

It basically comes down to trust. Do you trust the breeder and does the breeder trust you?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Behavior Nerd

The right breeder will have everything *and* a decent price imo. Aeri's breeder has a reasonable contract, the dogs have everything I want in titles and health checks, she's interested in building a relationship and maintaining it but via phone/email/chat vs. a super intense application process, she does amazing foundation work with the pups, and she knows her lines inside and out.

While the price was more than I generally would spend, it was in line with other breeders and she offered to set up payments, so that made it much more doable. I don't generally look at the actual price, but how it compares to other dogs in the same breed and of the same caliber.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
No problem. I love questions. Makes ME think about things as well.

The spay/neuter is for pet puppies only. A altered dog can not show in CKC, and we really do not have UKC here.

I do the grading at 8 weeks old. Since the puppies dont go home until 10(ish) weeks than that gives me and the buyers time to exchange pics, critiques and what not to decide who is pick puppy and who falls under them and were. Some dogs will be obvious pets.

Basically I decide who is pet vs show quality with the help of friends of mine (who are very experienced in the breed and with grading puppies) as well as my mentor.

Should you buy a puppy from me (for sake of argument) who was borderline, I would sell the puppy to you on either full registration or limited registration. Depending on the person and situation. If I sold the puppy on limited I would be happy to lift it and put full reg on the puppy should he/she turn out as show quality. This would be decided by me, with the help of handlers, my mentor, and other knowledgeable people.

If you wanted to keep the dog intact for its entire life, well it would depend on the person. Someone I knew well and trusted 110% then yes they could keep the dog intact. If it was someone who was iffy to have a intact dog then I would either not sell them a puppy, or put the spay/neuter in place.

As for neglect unfortunately it is the laws term. As I would have no legal leg to stand on, should I repo the dog and it was not legally being neglected, unless VERY specific things were in the contract, and even then it could be iffy.

I would try not to be a @ss. If you broke your arm but were doing your best for the dog, then no I wouldn't repo the dog. I know what its like to deal with a @ss and I won't do that to someone. I would help you out by either caring for the dog myself (if you were close) or putting you in touch with people who could perhaps walk the dog for you, day care, ect...

I would sell across the country if you had EXCELENT references from people I trusted. In that case we would work something out for shipping. Either a transport train, I pay half the shipping, it depends on the situation.

As for prices (I know you didn't ask) Dobermans are $2000CND and Beagles are $1100CND. They are fairly average prices. Now, a 6 month old trained show puppy would be more, a older re home would be less (if anything). I am willing to work with people as well.

It basically comes down to trust. Do you trust the breeder and does the breeder trust you?
My understanding is that here in Canada you can't actually repo the dog if you sell it. Even with a contract, if the person doesn't want too. If you co own then maybe. One thing you CAN do is make financial penalties.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I have heard that Dekka. I do plan on meeting with a lawyer before the puppies are born and maybe changing my contract around a bit.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

For myself and in a perfect Hayley world I would like to see the breeders dogs having some titles. I also wanna see their dogs doing something other than showing. I want a puppy from parents who are adding something positive to the breed, not just looking pretty. Although for other people I dont see nothing wrong with them going to just a show breeder.

I want the option of keeping my dog intact until the dog is fully matured, I also want to see the dogs and puppies fed a proper diet, perferably raw. I also do not want to see that I must get my dogs vaccinated every year. As I don't agree with yearly vaccinations.

But again thats in my perfect world.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm not going to jump through hoops. I just want a dog for companionship, otherwise I don't have anything specific I am looking for, so walking away from a breeder is not a big deal. There are others out there.

Some things I don't mind. I would sign a contract stating I need to have the dog OFA certified and whatnot. I absolutely understand the reasoning behind that. Spay/neuter contracts, eh I don't want anybody telling me I HAVE to speuter at X age, but it is something I would discuss with the breeder before automatically writing them off. And I'm not too opinionated on that subject anyway, so if I liked everything else, I could overlook that.

I don't remember what is in Juno's contract. Must not be too detailed lol. And I prefer that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Meh, I am buying the dog, not the breeder. A supportive and friendly breeder is a perk, but quite frankly if the breeder is a total asshole, I don't care either. So long as I can trust his level of experience and honesty to pick the right puppy for me, and I get a good dog out of a breeding I personally like.

I will not pay an unreasonable price, nor will I go to a breeder that insists on dictating what I feed, how I medicate my dog, how I train my dog, and, of course, whether or not I should neuter my dog. Any neuter/spay requirements quite frankly may just be a deal breaker for me. Luckily most of the breeders I have spoken to and want a puppy from are open minded and often "old school" in that they do not bother with contracts and whatnot
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Meh, I am buying the dog, not the breeder. A supportive and friendly breeder is a perk, but quite frankly if the breeder is a total asshole, I don't care either. So long as I can trust his level of experience and honesty to pick the right puppy for me, and I get a good dog out of a breeding I personally like.

I will not pay an unreasonable price, nor will I go to a breeder that insists on dictating what I feed, how I medicate my dog, how I train my dog, and, of course, whether or not I should neuter my dog. Any neuter/spay requirements quite frankly may just be a deal breaker for me. Luckily most of the breeders I have spoken to and want a puppy from are open minded and often "old school" in that they do not bother with contracts and whatnot
Are you me? LOL This is exactly what I think too. Right down to the old school breeder.