Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thank you Aleron, I never really thought about it like that, but it makes a lot of sense. That's one of the main reasons I want a smaller dog, is so it can play with Chloe. But the reason I said small-medium is because I'm leaning more toward medium (or at least tougher small dogs like a Corgi) so that when Chloe is gone, I'm not locked in an endless cycle of only small dogs, if that makes sense.

Example: If I get a Chihuahua as a friend for Chloe because I'm worried a bigger dog could hurt her, and Chloe passes away, my next dog will have to be another small dog, because I'll be worried that a bigger dog will hurt THAT one.

So that's difficult. Because I want my first "on my own" dog to be a puppy that I can raise.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Twin 2.0

Most Dals, at least a proper Dal, isn't going to be a good match for you. And yes, I echo the profuse shedding. My boss at the carriages has a couple of Dals and one of them, Ivy, rides along every night. She's what people want when they think of Dals--small, super friendly, willing to just sit on the carriage all night and eat up the copious amounts of attention from all the passers-by. So basically, a Lab with a spotted coat. Not what they're supposed to be, really.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Sport Model Pug

I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit here.

Do you know what you might want to do for schooling or a career yet?

I think your focus right now should be on getting a job and saving for school and your future and finding out what you want to do with your life before worrying so much about what kind of puppy you want to get.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
APBT crazy!

What are they like? In my experience they are pretty nice dogs, they can be stubborn though. What is your reason for wanting one though, just because you love them..or?

Energy level? They are pretty mellow, but I have only met matured Dals not pups. Good with other dogs/cats? It depends on the dog, but remember even if they grow up with them there is a chance of prey drive and dog aggression. Willing to please? I think they are, after all they are fire departments mascots.

Good offleash? I wouldn't trust a dog off-leash unless the dog had good a good recall. Health issues? Deafness is a big one, so you would have to be prepared if you were to get a Dal even as a pup deafness is a possibility even in an adult and allergies can also be an issue.

Anything else I should know? Research these dogs, thoroughly.. go meet some if possible to see if they really are for you.

Chihuahuas can be great little dogs, but they can also be nasty little buggers too and are more than often not one person dogs and should be treated like dogs, not an accessory and I personally never would have one.

Corgis are great little dogs, I think so anyways.

I would not recommend a border collie especially from working stock to a pet home unless you were going to take them to herding lessons/whatever and they usually have prey drive and can be dog aggressive. LOVE them though. I am not too experienced with Shelties, really but I have met a few.. great little dogs.

What do you mean by minimal exercise? Dalmatians can have minimal exercise and so can Chihuahuas and Corgis. Border Collies need more than that and even border collies at shelters need a job. Shelties would probably be alright with minimal exercise.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
APBT crazy!

From that quiz here are my matches.. pretty accurate I think lol.

Bouviers Des Flandes - Match! (not sure I'd have one..)
Collies (Smooth) - Match!
Basset Hounds - Match!
Black & Tan Coonhounds - Match!
Bloodhounds - Match!
Ibizan Hounds - Match! (not sure if it would be my choice.)
Irish Wolfhounds - Match!
Pharaoh Hounds - Match!
Scottish Deerhounds - Match!
Bulldogs - Match!

Retrievers (Chesapeake Bay) - Match!
Spaniels (Clumber) - Match! (wouldn't have one)

Akitas - Match!

Bernese Mountain Dogs - Match!

Bullmastiffs - Match! yay!

Great Danes - Match! yay!

Great Pyrenees - Match! not sure I'd have one with all that fur.

Mastiffs - Match! yay

Newfoundlands - Match!

Rottweilers - Match! yay!

Saint Bernards - Match! yay!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post

I think your focus right now should be on getting a job and saving for school and your future and finding out what you want to do with your life before worrying so much about what kind of puppy you want to get.
It's kind of fun to think about what kind of dogs you might like, though--I certainly looked at (online and in books) and considered lots of breeds that I ultimately didn't choose to pursue.

I don't see why it would be impossible to save for school, work on your future, and think about dogs. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't sound like the OP is planning on getting a new dog right this second.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

Have you thought about Silky's and/or Yorkies again? I know you've had them in the past. Just wondering.

[/QUOTE]

You pretty much summed up Jackson.... except maybe minimal grooming, I mean, he gets professionally groomed every 10-12 weeks and in between, he's really easy. Since he's kept short, I like never brush him, he gets a bath once every 10 days or so, so he's pretty easy but does still have to visit a groomer.

He's extremely biddable. Constantly wants to be with me, he's not happy if he's not involved in what we (the family or I) are doing. He's great with other dogs and has been socialized with them since a pup. Of course, as a terrier, there CAN be DA but from what I've seen and talked to breeders, most Silky's and Yorkies don't deal with this.

Here's a Silky description:

The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Oh and took that test- yay I scored 100% on a few breeds I've been very interested in lately, LOL.

Mastiffs- 100% match!
German Shepherd - 90% match!
Shiloh Shepherd - 100% match!
Border Terrier- 100% match!
Got 90% for the Australian Terrier, Cairn, Silky, Westies and Norfolk.

I also got 100% for a bunch of spaniels and sporting group dogs which intrigues me.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thanks for all the responses! They're really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post

I really don't know how to take this, so I'm going to try not to get my feelings hurt, even though it seems like every time you respond to one of my threads, it's something like this.

Why can't I think about what kind of dog I want for fun? I don't need comments on how I should be concentrating on "getting a job". I don't think that's your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
It's kind of fun to think about what kind of dogs you might like, though--I certainly looked at (online and in books) and considered lots of breeds that I ultimately didn't choose to pursue.

I don't see why it would be impossible to save for school, work on your future, and think about dogs. Unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't sound like the OP is planning on getting a new dog right this second.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Have you thought about Silky's and/or Yorkies again? I know you've had them in the past. Just wondering.
You pretty much summed up Jackson.... except maybe minimal grooming, I mean, he gets professionally groomed every 10-12 weeks and in between, he's really easy. Since he's kept short, I like never brush him, he gets a bath once every 10 days or so, so he's pretty easy but does still have to visit a groomer.

He's extremely biddable. Constantly wants to be with me, he's not happy if he's not involved in what we (the family or I) are doing. He's great with other dogs and has been socialized with them since a pup. Of course, as a terrier, there CAN be DA but from what I've seen and talked to breeders, most Silky's and Yorkies don't deal with this.

Here's a Silky description:

The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Britney! I have considered them, and I love both breeds. I think eventually I'll end up with another Yorkie or Silky, but probably not for a while, just because I want to try some other breeds, and give myself a chance to find "my breed" if that makes sense.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
APBT crazy!

LOL I was talking about the DOG having a job NOT you.. no need to get defensive. I did not say that you couldn't think about getting the dog for fun but you seem pretty serious about it so..