Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Default Labrador people! Need some help!

My friend's family have settled on a lab, and are now looking at breeders.

They don't really care for the type of show breeders with extra fat dogs, does anyone know any field or sports Lab breeders within Canada? Or better yet, more specifically BC?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

I found Eromit Labs in BC and they look pretty good but don't know any others.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

Sorry- I can't be much help. I know a breeder in Michigan who has sold dogs to people in Canada. She has two litters due in late winter/early spring. Her dogs show in the breed ring as well as obedience, hunt tests, etc. Her motto is "A balanced dog has titles at both ends".

http://www.kelrobin.com/main.html
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't know what kind of dog your friends are looking for but be aware that field folks, specifically Field Trial Labrador folks, also can breed for extremes...FT Labs are notorious in some ircles for lack of off switches and being bred with temperaments more suited to training with e-collars, etc.

Not saying all are like that and maybe the FT world isn't as crazy in Canada as in the U.S. but just something to keep in mind. There are good Labs out there but don't assume

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I don't know what kind of dog your friends are looking for but be aware that field folks, specifically Field Trial Labrador folks, also can breed for extremes...FT Labs are notorious in some ircles for lack of off switches and being bred with temperaments more suited to training with e-collars, etc.

Not saying all are like that and maybe the FT world isn't as crazy in Canada as in the U.S. but just something to keep in mind. There are good Labs out there but don't assume
This! Just because you like the look more doesn't mean they're a better pet choice.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I don't like the extremes in either line. Laura (the breeder I linked to) has very nicely, not over done, built dogs.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Sorry- I can't be much help. I know a breeder in Michigan who has sold dogs to people in Canada. She has two litters due in late winter/early spring. Her dogs show in the breed ring as well as obedience, hunt tests, etc. Her motto is "A balanced dog has titles at both ends".

http://www.kelrobin.com/main.html
Gosh, you shouldn't have said she will have pups due later this year. Gah. I may just have to email her now...

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
*Now with Snark*

If you're willing to cross the border there are tons of great breeders in Washington with more moderate lines who can and do show and hunt. Many also make trips across the border frequently for CKC shows.

http://www.pslra.org/
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I'll let her know! I don't know much about labs at all since they're not really a breed I'm interested in but that's really good to know.

She said she's looking for an active pet and perhaps to try a bit of field work since her dad used to hunt but stopped about 10 years ago. That's also the other reason they're looking for a field type dog.

Are there any labrador forums around that she could get more information?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

If you want something local and field-bred you could try asking around on here (though beware of people who don't health test etc.)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumd...5-Hunting-Dogs