Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullLove View Post
Arifi Kennels - Home .....true Ridgebacks
how so? i didn't see a single pic of cattle being rounded up, a leopard treed or a lion bayed. how then are they true ridgebacks?

i don't know about true, but here are some pretty good ridgebacks that were bred by & belong to a friend of mine

Last edited by Pops2; 09-13-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Top Dog

A lion being bayed? In the United States? Oh jeez. I have yet to see that. And a ll I see is a Facebook login for your link.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

i'll ask Matt if i can post pics of his stock. they aren't used on lion yet (i am getting ready to spend a year at a govt foreign language school but after i hope to get started building a pack). several ARE very good hog dogs and win in the show ring. that would be Mt Lion in the states.

Last edited by Pops2; 09-18-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:11 AM
...ice road...

It is a very common practice that breeders require pet dogs to be spayed/neutered by a certain age - but the statement that gets me in the contract of the breeder the OP posted is that the dog must be altered no matter what the vet says. What if the vet says the dog has a serious heart condition and could die under anesthesia? According to this contract, you STILL must alter your dog or risk having it taken back without any refund. Though, with a serious heart condition you would be entitled to a replacement dog...

But still. Their contract is not worded in a professional manner, and I wouldn't sign it. I also don't like how their website is set up, with a lack of any information specifically listed regarding their dogs.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
but the statement that gets me in the contract of the breeder the OP posted is that the dog must be altered no matter what the vet says.
I actually read that differently - I see it as "you need to wait until the dog is 14 months old even if the vet is swearing you can spay/neuter earlier". Not "You must spay/neuter even if your vet says the dog can't handle it physically".

Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Top Dog

I think the circumstances would be different if a heart conditon came up, but you are right, it is not worded in a professional manner. I had read it as, even if the vet says to wait longer (as vets often do have different suggestions regarding when to spay/neuter) you must get the dog fixed in the alotted time period the breeder gave, anyway...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Top Dog

And Pops, perhaps 'REAL' wasn't the perfect word to use when comparing the show dogs here/on that website to working RRs.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

no harm, i just think a dog should be the total package, hard worker, good loving pet & no harm in looking good too. i don't see how a dog can be the true anything if it can't be both hard working & a loving trainable pet. by the same token i don't care for a working dog that can't be a trustworthy pet back at the ranch. i don't care how good a dog hunts or works stock or what ever the job is, if he can't be trusted not to eat the neighbors kid, i don't want him & i don't want him bred from.
showing ONLY can never produce the true anything because it ignores half of what the dog is.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Just try me..

There is some harm in looking good...

The problem with ONLY breeding the total package (and by that I mean champion confo, excellent worker, fully health tested, and great temperament) is that the gene pool will become rapidly so narrow that the breed would fall apart.

There needs to be some diversity. IMO the best place to have diversity is in phenotype. That doesnt' mean ugly dogs, but that does mean non show ring quality. Look at true working dogs, they don't look like cookie cutter versions of the breed. There is also nothing wrong with breeding pretty dogs, as long as you aren't making your breed so narrow a type that its homozygous at nearly all loci. I have actually had some breeders tell me function follows form, nor form follows function. Function first, then the ideal form will follow. (ie breed for the function to get good form)

The problem is that certain issues are not actually relavent to working ability or style. The best example I have is a horse one. Line classes (confo) reward horses with long elegant necks. A study of the world's top dressage horses found that length of neck was actually a slight hindrance. What is pleasing to the eye might not actually be an advantage to the animal.

Crossing dogs who are exemplary in one category and sufficient in others to dogs who are exemplary in others IMO is a sound strategy to produce excellent dogs and preserve diversity.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

you know looking good does NOT include deformities that impair function.