Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Bad breeder? I have no idea, because I don't what kind of dogs they're producing. They might be fantastic. I have no idea.

I just know I wouldn't touch that contract. Lindsey and I have the same allergy, lol. (I will say that I think some of my aversion is pure classical conditioning: Most of the breeders with contracts like this don't produce dogs I want to buy, hence I avoid them.)

To the OP, no one call really tell you what to look for in a breeder. If you're just looking for a pet and don't mind the contract, maybe they would have a nice dog for you. It really, really depends on what you want and value, in the end. People have gotten dogs I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole from breeders I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole, and they've been very happy with them. And it's their life and their money, so it doesn't matter what I think.

It's really about whether or not the breeder: a.) produces the kind of dog you want to own and b.) treats their dogs in a manner you support and c.) has terms you can agree to. The idea that there is one type of "good breeder" is not realistic, as others have said.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Personaly I think you can do much better in breed type. My preferance anyways. They seem to be doing the right things health wise Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Contract? No way. I wouldnt touch that ever. But it's your dog and you know what you can live with.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Top Dog

Zero mention of health testing, no actual titles really listed for each dog just some vague show pics with "wins" listed, listing "liver" nose to hook people into buying a pup.... um yeah no. Stay far far away.

If I want me a lion hound, I want one from good working stock thats doing lure coursing or something and has healthy dogs behind it.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Well since Chaz deleated my responce....

Monkeys- If you real my previous post you will see a link to thier health testing via OFA. Not all breeders list thier testing. ASK them insted of assuming esp since things are so easy to google. Plus you can look up titles VIA the AKC wesbite. So before people assume things they need to do more research.

I also quoted the AKC standard. Liver noses are perfectly acceptable.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 PM
*Now with Snark*

I have no idea what the standard and norms are for a RR contract. I also can't speak to the quality of their dogs.

What I can speak to is the dog buying experience. The most important things are as follows in my eyes.

1) What do I want the dog for and is the breeder's goals compatible or complimentary to my goals?

2) Does the breeder know they have healthy dogs or do they claim to have healthy dogs? Is this information 3rd party verified?

3) Is the contract unreasonable, too controlling, or contain clauses I am unwilling to live with?

4) Does the breeder have a good reputation with their puppy buyers?

5) Are the breeder's ethics compatible with my ethics?

6) Is the breeder willing to involve me with the selection process for my puppy?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
Zero mention of health testing, no actual titles really listed for each dog just some vague show pics with "wins" listed, listing "liver" nose to hook people into buying a pup.... um yeah no. Stay far far away.

If I want me a lion hound, I want one from good working stock thats doing lure coursing or something and has healthy dogs behind it.
if you wanted a real lion hound you wouldn't be getting a RR anyway. you'd be looking at a linebred mix of coonhound & foxhound from several generations of lion hounds. of course if you wanted a real working RR you'd run past the lure coursing dogs to a fella i know in MO who has the only true hunting bred RRs in the USA. some of his stock & product even has conformation titles, but i don't hold it against him.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

I really don't like the whole "good vs. bad breeder" stuff that seems to be a part of every dog forum the minute someone posts a breeder's website. Often it becomes a chance to bash breeders for "not doing enough" or breeding dogs that the posters don't care for. I will say though to read contracts and be sure you aren't agreeing to anything that makes you uncomfortable. Although many issues in dog contracts are difficult or impossible to enforce, getting a dog from a breeder with very different views from your's can create a lot of tension and bad feelings on both sides.

As for the altering thing, it is extremely hard to find well bred dogs of certain breeds which don't come with altering strings. It has become the norm in the dog world, at least in the US and Canada. Some breeders are willing to bend on it, if you talk to them. Others are not and will likely turn you down for a puppy if you ask them to. This sort of explains why such agreements are so widespread:

http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFil...storm_pt_1.pdf

http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFil...storm_pt_2.pdf

I do not believe the Nu-vet supplement requirement means these dogs are unhealthy. It most likely means the breeder has gotten involved in Nu-Vet's multi-level marketing deal.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I do not believe the Nu-vet supplement requirement means these dogs are unhealthy. It most likely means the breeder has gotten involved in Nu-Vet's multi-level marketing deal.
yeah that's what I believe too. But if you asked them about it I doubt they'd be like "yeah, I'm involved in a pyramid scheme so you have to buy them for the pup you've purchased" lol more likely they'd give you some BS about how these supplements are vital to the pup's wellbeing. To which my reply is, if your line of dogs "needs" this stuff like you say they do then your dogs are defective.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I guess how I see it is, they are trying to be strict, to make sure that potential new owners realize that they are getting a living breathing creature that is going to live for 10 + years. If I was able to talk to them, and explain my situation, and how I didn't feel comfortable with their contract because of my lifestyle, and they were willing to compromise, then yeah, I think that's fine.

But if they were 100% strict, weren't willing to negotiate, and wanted everything done 'their' way, then I probably would steer clear.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Arifi Kennels - Home I love these dogs. I have met them a few times, gorgeous, true Ridgebacks On the other hand, I wouldn't say that the statement about spaying and neautering threw me off. I am sure if an someone willing to share knowledge and concerns as well as experience the breeder would give some leeway. Breeders don't get gifted with that as often as they do with duds that only ask, what's the price? But would I sign that contract? No. If I met the dogs and loved them and the breeder I would discuss it though. Call and decide yourself