Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Default Is this a good breeder?

For future reference, is this a good Ridgeback breeder? They aren't too far away from me, so I was just wondering.

Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies - Home
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
. The dog will not be allowed to roam and will be socialized and obedience trained appropriately as well as maintaining quality diet, appropriate exercise and our vitamin supplements Nu-Vet Plus Tabs. Buyer agrees the puppy/dog will reside in the home of the buyer and is NEVER to be chained or tied up. Buyer agrees to spay/neuter said puppy/dog but not before the 14 months of age. No matter what your vet says. If female comes in heat before 14 months she may be spayed immediately.
I stopped looking after I read that. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole just by that paragraph, but that's me.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I stopped looking after I read that. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole just by that paragraph, but that's me.
Ditto.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Another ditto. All kinds of turn offs in that paragraph. You have to feed them a special vitamin tablet???? If the animals they produce cannot thrive without special vitamins there is something wrong with their lines.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Also: "Buyer agrees that seller will repossess puppy/dog upon evidence of neglect and or abuse at no expense to seller without any refund in whole or part."

Alrighty, so you tie your dog up, they don't like it, they come and take your dog, at your expense, with no refund. No way.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

It's something (or two) they feel strongly about. I wouldn't personally buy from them, but I don't see that it makes them a bad breeder.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
It's something (or two) they feel strongly about. I wouldn't personally buy from them, but I don't see that it makes them a bad breeder.
Bad breeder and good breeder are very very subjective terms. Which is why I said that is enough to make me run for the hills. If someone else doesn't mind having those dictates on the dog they purchased then by all means go for it.

I personally will pretty much only sign the barest of contracts, so a breeder telling me that I have to feed a certain vitamin, alter my dog and never tie them up at all is enough to give me hives.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Bad breeder and good breeder are very very subjective terms. Which is why I said that is enough to make me run for the hills. If someone else doesn't mind having those dictates on the dog they purchased then by all means go for it.

I personally will pretty much only sign the barest of contracts, so a breeder telling me that I have to feed a certain vitamin, alter my dog and never tie them up at all is enough to give me hives.
Not sure it makes them a bad breeder. It makes them one I wouldn't get near though. I don't want to be told I have to fed a food or a supplement, and I wouldn't sign a contract I'd never tie ever.

I went on vacation for a month. To be on campsites the dogs all had to be staked. That would violate that contract even though they were supervised.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Not sure it makes them a bad breeder. It makes them one I wouldn't get near though. I don't want to be told I have to fed a food or a supplement, and I wouldn't sign a contract I'd never tie ever.

I went on vacation for a month. To be on campsites the dogs all had to be staked. That would violate that contract even though they were supervised.
Yeah, I really really try never to use the word bad breeder because it's such a black and white term and very personal. More, not the right breeder for you.

But I would be breaking it too, multiple times a day since we don't have a fenced in yard so our dogs go out on a tie out when they go to the bathroom.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

I appreciate a breeder encouraging altering dogs. I think if you're not responsible enough to look into the pros and cons of spaying and neutering and make your own decision, you're not responsible enough to handle an unaltered dog.

That said, if I felt strongly about leaving a dog unaltered and I was going to buy from a breeder...I would probably seek out a breeder that had some input on spaying and neutering, but present them with the health information and my knowledge of responsibly handling an unaltered dog. I suppose at that point either they'd accept I knew what I was talking about, or they'd be too set in their ways and I'd look elsewhere. But I wouldn't look negatively at a breeder who generally sold on a spay/neuter contract.

That said, my checklist of a good breeder is: Do they do all the pertinent health tests? Have their dogs done something to prove temperament/ability? Do they agree to take back the puppy at any time if I'm unable to care for it? Do they use training/socializing methods I approve of before the puppy is sent home?

After that it's kind of all an individual basis.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com