Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You need a mini-Luce
I was actually thinking mini aussie. They're not uncommon in rescues around here, I think they're becomming more popular so more are in rescues. I've met several REALLY cool little minis in agility.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I'd be a bit surprised to see one with the kind of drive for toys I see in flyball dogs. Medley was never super into toys, and the Bedlingtons I see at agility trials are far from "high drive, go go" dogs. Granted, I know how much of that is training. I admit, it just surprises me to see them on a list of flyball prospects.
I don't know what his toy drive is like, I just know that he's rocking the place as an agility dog (not the skills so much as the enthusiasm and spark). Like I said- no clue if he's representative of the breed or just an individual who is really appealing.

Quote:
Are you specifically looking for a breeder dog? The only reason I ask is that I've seen quite a collection of drivey small dogs come through rescue over the years. I suspect most if not all have some terrier in them, but I think if you are willing to do a young adult especially, you can get a lot of very cool sport dogs who someone got as a small pet and went "Oh my lord what did I get" when they realized how high energy they were.
I'm not married to the idea of a breeder, but small dogs are few and far between in the shelter around here, I don't have a ton of interest in jumping through the nine thousand hoops of a rescue, and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable evaluating a potential sport dog in a shelter. If I go to someone breeding dogs for sport, I feel like I have a much better chance of getting what I want.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I was actually thinking mini aussie. They're not uncommon in rescues around here, I think they're becomming more popular so more are in rescues. I've met several REALLY cool little minis in agility.
I almost put them on the list. The thing is, I'm not wild about regular Aussies, and I don't know how the minis compare, as I've not had contact with many of them.
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm All Ears

I need to come up with my giant papillon already... If it weren't for the size being so small, they'd fit. You could try to find an oversized one though or a mix. I think you'd enjoy a Mia.

Sheltie was my other thought.

Pyr sheps can be quite a bit bigger but they seem like a lot of fun.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I'm not so concerned with the DR/DA stuff as the generalized terrier prey-drive murder cats in the backyard stuff.
Kaiden is fine with cats.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 PM
overdogged

I forgot Bostons for my list. But it would have to be a very special Boston. There are some out there, though.
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Bostons would have to be a very special dog indeed. All the ones at work, (and there are quite a few) have trouble breathing during hard exercise.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

You know my vote.... Miniature Poodle!!!

He mostly lays around the house in a comfy nest until a toy comes out. Then he's turned on and flipping around the place (no toy drive at all). A bit of SA, has been known to climb out of xpens and jump out car windows to come find me.

I cannot wait to get him out into agility. He took to it right away, though loved doing zoomies around the ring. As you know, not a froofroo dog. He's done a 6 mile MS awareness walk with me a few years back with no problem, came home and played for a few hours, then crashed. LOL

As far as grooming, I keep both poodles short, with longer topknot and ears as a lot of brushing aggravates my tendinitis and then I can't use my arm. n_n
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

I probably suggest this too much but I think Silky Terriers are too unknown and uncommon and could really fit the bill for the stuff you wanted.
Silkys in Performance

I know Jackson is most likely just a BYB bred Yorkie but since I've researched so much about Silky's, they are great little dogs. I've spoken to over 10 breeders in the last year and a half and found out a lot. From my understanding, they are not as "terrier" as some terriers but still have enough in them. They are pretty versatile little dogs and excel in agility. STCA held its first agility event in 1997 and an 11 yr. old Silky was the winner.
Quote:
The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He will be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner, although he may occasionally be obstinate, and doesn't always obey you. He can be difficult to housebreak. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.
There's just one description. I don't know, I always like to throw the idea out there.

Btw, Jackson is fine with cats, in that he has no intention to kill or anything. If all three dogs are together, yeah, they will chase them and "gang" up on them, but one-on-one, he is fine with the cats.

But my first thought was definitely a Papillon.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post

Mudi - spendy and seizures
PyrShep - maybe bigger than I want? BARKY
flyball mix - so much variety and hard to get one from a breeder I'd want to get one from, but maybe. Variable in the prey drive department and the terrierness department.
Miniature Poodle - probably not enough drive to make me happy, but they're still shortlisted and I have my eye on a breeder (songbird) who has produced OTCh and MACH dogs
Bedlington - this is based solely on one dog in our agility class who is freaking AWESOME and I love him. I have no idea how he is as a representative of the breed. I think they're kind of funny looking but I could get over this.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Corrections to my vibes on the above breeds?
I think PyrSheps and Mudi both tend to be a bit bigger than what is wanted for a Flyball height dog. And if PyrSheps are too barky for you, I think Mudi would definitely be. Mudi supposed to bark while working - if they are instinct tested and don't bark, they don't pass. There's also Pumi which can be awesome sport dogs but again, the size and barky level are that of a Mudi. If you haven't read this article about Mudi, it's pretty good!
About CS and the Mudi Polona's

Bedlintons are pretty cool but definitely terriers under the lamb-look. I have a friend has a Bedlington and she's had some typical terrier issues with her and other dogs, including same sex aggression towards a non-terrier she lives with. She likes her but I doubt she'll get another due to the terrier-ness of them. They also have a small gene pool and some pretty serious health concerns. Also may be too big?

It seems this is why so many Flyball people go with sport mixes. Not many purebreds in the height dog category that have the sort of drive and biddablity most Flyball people want. I asked a Flyball friend about Mini Aussies a while ago and she said most are only so-so at Flyball, although they can be gret at agility. It's weird how that can be the case, as Shelties also seem to have a reputation for being only so-so at Flyball but great at agility.

What about a Danish-Swedish Farmdog?