Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
*Now with Snark*

I know raw fans see amazing thing happen with their pets after going to raw but reality is it's unlikely that it's the food IMO. High quality kibble raised pups (and there are millions of them) do not tend to have problems like is being described.

This to me does sound immune, which is why I asked about being checked for Lyme disease. Bad skin, rough coat, joint pain, and just cycling through acting under the weather and being normal just smacks of immune issues. What has your vet said so far?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I bet prey model raw and no other treats, etc. would make the world of difference for Fleetwood.

What is the age limit restriction to trying it in the sale contract? Frankly I would keep to that, but try pmr as soon as possible. Then once he does a complete 180 show his breeder some befores and afters.

Is there any history of metabolic disorder or similar issues in any of the breeder's other stock? I would be real curious to talk to other purchasers about this.... and longevity.... something isn't sounding quite right on a genetic level here.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

It does sound a bit immune-ish. If it were simply a coat issue, I might be inclined to blame diet. But the overall blahness along with lameness issues seem to speak of a deeper issue
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Actually, I've always said that Fleetwood has an unusually weak immune system... He's had his skin infection, an eye infection that would not go away, and when he was a puppy he got sick (never figured out why-- it's suspected he chewed on a dog that had some sort of flea meds applied recently) and became anemic within almost 12 hours. He also had puppy warts for almost 2 months. He's been ill with one thing or another since I've had him, almost!

I'm not very interested in switching his food right now, I really don't think it's dietary-- but if I can't figure anything else out, I'd really like to speak to the breeder about trying raw. I truly believe in it. The contract says 18 months before I can do that, so another 9 months.

Earlier he was pretty energetic, and we went for a short walk and swim. But tonight, he's lethargic, distant, and is having stomach problems. He ate nothing out of the ordinary between last night and this morning, besides Zuke's chicken treats, which he's had other times without a problem. He did go into the river, and probably ingested some water, though. He's eaten grass and thrown up twice today that I know of-- once earlier today before breakfast, and once just now in the evening. We will be skipping dinner tonight. Sometimes we just do rice, and that settles his tummy down.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 PM
*Now with Snark*

Have you ever had him tested for giardia? coccidiosis? a fecal at all?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
My first thought as soon as you mentioned how often & how much he seems to enjoy swimming.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 08-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and I apologize-- I missed a couple questions. Kat, my vet has just treated things one at a time-- He's not really my main vet, but my main vet has been out of commission since I got Fleetwood. I'm visiting her tomorrow with my cats, so I'll be able to talk to her about Fleetwood then.

Monkey, My breeder is super conscious about health in her breeding. She has been 100% helpful all the way, but her dogs have no history of anything of the like. She has been very open and honest. Fleetwood's sire was a stud from a completely different kennel, though, and I have no idea about his history. None of his siblings have any issues, as far as I know.

I want to point out also, Fleetwood has no problem keeping weight on at all. In fact, I can't believe how much weight he puts ON, despite lots of exercise and not eating like he should sometimes. And being on adult food, not puppy food.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yep. He had fecals when he was a puppy, and then again before his neuter. But I've never had him tested for Giardia. I've had rescues with Giardia before, and it's nothing like their stool was-- His stool is for the most part normal, just very loose sometimes.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
*Now with Snark*

Health testing aside.... Lyme disease, giardia, coccidiosis, round worms, tape worms, etc can happen to any dog at any time. They also don't always go along with weight loss. Some dogs do just fine and still have sticky, nasty, smelly giardia crap.

A fecal would be where I would start. It'd be the cheap test. Just drop off a pile when you take your cats in.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Health testing aside.... Lyme disease, giardia, coccidiosis, round worms, tape worms, etc can happen to any dog at any time. They also don't always go along with weight loss. Some dogs do just fine and still have sticky, nasty, smelly giardia crap.

A fecal would be where I would start. It'd be the cheap test. Just drop off a pile when you take your cats in.
I suppose it's a good place to start, however, the problems began before his last fecal. That doesn't mean something didn't show up, though.