Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Why is the dog handsome? Can you explain what you like about him?
I love his form, I love his looks. I've enjoyed watching his work/his achievements. I think he's a great example of the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Because you act proud of her for her treatment of the Saluki (which is questionable) but TOTALLY ignore the STARVED baby Fila. You should be livid at your friend. You should be begging her to get help. You should worry and fear for her dogs.
How do you know I haven't spoken with her? You don't. I'm past talking about this Fila at this point, if I want to, I'll talk to Teal about it.

I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog, her vets, the other Saluki people she works with seem quite happy with Bukra.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Felurian

With a Fila, Xandra, it's highly likely it was a combination of the two. He was pining and not eating and then no one worked to get food into him.

All it would have taken, if that was the case, would have been a little affection and attention. Just a little.

And yes, the techs saved Tallulah's life, especially one in particular.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog.
Luckily for him, since we know what happens when she doesn't adore a dog. I just hope the adoration lasts.

Aaaaand that's my only post in this thread. *leaves*

Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I have let my dogs get too lean. But I saw it and fixed the problem, no aesthetics are worth my dogs looking gross. Judge is very hard to keep weight on, he gets raw food in the morning and kibble at night. He also is allowed satin balls as treats here and there to maintain a good weight. Going into winter for whatever reason he tends to lean down(opposite of what he should be doing) so he gets satin balls with his morning and evening food to maintain weight. He is perfectly healthy just a very hard keeper.

LoLa and Hobie can look at food and gain weight so I have the opposite problem with them maintaining a nice healthy weight. I have everyone settled now and maintaining as they should be. Judge requires more food and he gets it. Simple to me. Dog starts to look a little thin....up the food till they maintain a healthy weight.

Tallulah looks so sad. That picture made me cry.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
I love his form, I love his looks. I've enjoyed watching his work/his achievements. I think he's a great example of the breed.
What is enjoyable about his form? What should a Saluki look like?

I'm not sure you have any standards except "my friends dog" to judge him against. Have you read the standard?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

How do you know I haven't spoken with her? You don't. I'm past talking about this Fila at this point, if I want to, I'll talk to Teal about it.

I'm not judging her on her Saluki when I don't know enough about them and I know she adores that dog, her vets, the other Saluki people she works with seem quite happy with Bukra.
I didnt say you hadn't talked to her...but if you think that because you like her current dogs and say she takes good care of them that somehow negates the abuse and neglect SHE did to the puppy, yes, I find that sick.

You are done talking about the Fila? Her abuse of the fila is directly relevant to her current dogs.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
What, sick because I think he's handsome?

I don't see that dog as being emaciated.
Well let's give her a **** medal, she managed to not abuse one dog in her care while abusing another.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
With a Fila, Xandra, it's highly likely it was a combination of the two. He was pining and not eating and then no one worked to get food into him.

All it would have taken, if that was the case, would have been a little affection and attention. Just a little.

And yes, the techs saved Tallulah's life, especially one in particular.
I have not met a puppy that I could let get like that poor Fila did. Even my friend's obnoxious bratty Chihuahua puppy when I watched her was a picky eater, so I catered and got her eating. (First time her mom left her for a vacation and she was 6 months old and very spoiled at home.) She was a small dog so not eating for a day really showed, I knew I had to do something to get her eating and I did. I cooked her chicken and rice with bacon grease on top. She ate like a champ after that with just a tiny bit of bacon grease on her food, not the healthiest but she wasn't skinny when her mom came to get her.

I think the Saluki is a pretty dog. Judging him by others I've seen I do feel he is too thin for me.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sorry, I still blame the owners for choosing to uber lean out their dogs because it is fashionable. This is dangerously common in pit bulls.

Not only that, some people haven't quite got it through their ignorant heads that there is a HUGE difference between conditioning a dog and starving it down.

Soooo many people think they can just cut back on food, and WA-LA! Look! A lean doggy with ribs and muscles showing!

And whomever brought up the body's functioning while being malnourished was right on. The body belonging to a dog that has been starved down is NOT running like the body of a dog that has been conditioned. Nothing, from various cell functions on up, is running the same.

I know when I conditioned my hog dogs before long hunting weekends or week-long hunting trips, they got extremely lean and very well muscled. They also ate anywhere from 4-6 cups of quality kibble (Nature's Variety) and got satin balls supplemented. That's not even close to being the same as cutting 2 cups of food back to 3/4 cup of food.

Sadly, I can throw out way too many names of people, including some in the ADBA show world who have winning dogs, that starve their dogs down versus conditioning them. Like mentioned, it's more of a fashionable look than an in-shape conditioning side effect.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Hindquarters
Strong, hipbones set well apart and stifle moderately bent, hocks low to the ground, showing
galloping and jumping power.

I think the first line of this gives most people trouble, you do not have to see the complete hipbone to see they
are well set apart.
Once you put this description with the Loin and Back you will understand why. The stifle (or
knee) is moderately (not large, great, or severe) bent, which indicates it is not straight, nor is it overly
angulated. The rear angulation should be balanced with the front angulation, an overly angulated Salukis will
overreach (Fault in the trot caused by more angulation and drive from behind than in front so that the rear feet
are forced to step to one side of the forefeet to avoid interfering or clipping). The hock length is short (well let
down) and the rear quarters are well muscled, this includes a well muscled second thigh

Loin and Back
Back fairly broad, muscles slightly arched over loin.
Loin: anatomy the area on each side of the backbone of a human or other animal between the ribs and hips.
This area has muscles slightly (very small) arched (intransitive verb to follow a trajectory in the shape of an
arch) over the area between the ribs and hips. If you put this together with the hip bones, the more muscle, the
less hip or topline bone you will see.
As the Saluki breed standard calls for a well muscled hound, you should
not see but the tops of the hip bone
and the topline should arch (again slightly arched) past the rib cage in a
soft curve, past the hipbone and into the croup. The topline should not be flat, this indicates a lack of muscling
in the loin area, which calls for a broad back. The underline should curve upwards from a long sternum into a
good tuckup (a reference to the body depth at the loin), showing a good length of ribcage.

Would you like more learning on what you're analyzing as "great form"?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.