Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

TBH it didnt sound like this puppy was "that bad".

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
What exactly is wrong with rescuing dogs and then rehoming them? Seriously. I have rescued many dogs.. probably about a dozen that I meant to keep in my home permanently, but they ended up not being a good fit or what I wanted. I don't see an issue with finding a dog a better home if a dog does not fit with you. (The Fila puppy stuff aside.)
Keeping it on topic. There isn't anything wrong with rescuing dogs if you can handle it. But if one of your own dogs is in as bad a shape as she let this Fila pup get you have no business taking in any other dogs, rescue or not.

This dog was clingy and devoted and she didn't like that. This dog wasn't dangerous he just didn't click. There was no reason not to take care of him.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Keeping it on topic. There isn't anything wrong with rescuing dogs if you can handle it. But if one of your own dogs is in as bad a shape as she let this Fila pup get you have no business taking in any other dogs, rescue or not.

This dog was clingy and devoted and she didn't like that. This dog wasn't dangerous he just didn't click. There was no reason not to take care of him.
That's the bottom line! Something is very, very wrong with anyone who doesn't see that!!!!!!!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
I'm going to guess that she got in over her head... again.

I know that everybody wants to keep this to the Fila pup, but there is a track record here. I will admit that I've not seen this level of neglect from her until now, but the sad thing is that I was not at all surprised when I saw these photos. This is only one incident, and there are many others that aren't being discussed here.

Jairi jumps all over the place as far as breeds she is interested in, so we have no idea what she will end up with next. She's expressed interest in other sighthound breeds, herding breeds, sled dogs, and now apparently PWDs. And, that is just what we know about. What I would love to see is everybody spread the word within their own breed communities. If you know people in California, tell them. Tell them to tell others. Send them to this thread. We need to do everything we can to help be sure that this never happens again.
Good post and very true. I honestly am sorry to say that I wasn't at all surprised at this. Like Aimee said, she has a track record. I'm just glad the pup is now healthy and happy in his forever home.

And I hope she stays the hell away from owning sled dogs. I own two sled dogs people threw away. I know what damage it does to their psyche. I also know how affectionate and clingy they can be. They would be a horrid fit for her and I hope she never goes there for the dogs' sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
nothing is wrong with it when dogs are simply throw away when the don't tickle your particular fancy on that particular day.

I have no issues with someone looking for a dog to X and when it can't responsibly rehoming to a home it will fit better. People I know like this usually aren't going puppy routes, but they get young adults as they have a better chance of "knowing" what that dog will be when it matures.

Those that go the puppy route usually have that puppy for at least a year and keep it in good condition before rehoming. The overwhelming majority decide to work with what they have and try again next time.

It's one thing to have interest in multiple breeds, it's entirely another to act so irresponsibly and neglect one in your care because you don't like it. it's not like he was chewing her face off when she went to feed it, even then you put it behind a fence and throw food over the side till someone comes to take it away. It's called decency.
Wonderful post. Very succintly put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Unfortunately "It's not a good fit" can be a very easy excuse when the novelty of a new shinny toy wears off.

Most everyone has had a bad fit once or even twice but repeatedly cycling through the "give it a shot" and "move on" is unfair to the dogs in your life. The dogs deserve someone who'll be there for them through thick and thin. Do more research, do more meet & greets, do more borrowing, do more trial settings, just do more before you bring a dog into your home as a commitment because these are living, breathing, feeling creatures developed to bond hard and hang on our every word. We owe them more than "maybe".
Exactly! Excellent post.

That is exactly why I ultimately decided my second dog would be a permanent addition. She deserved better than she'd been given by the crazy hoarder who produced her, by the **** poor "rescue" who saved her mother and her, by the two previous owners who inadvertantly did more damage and cast her aside because she didn't fit the pretty image they had in their heads. There is nothing more humbling than the devotion of a good dog. We owe them much more.

I'm sorry there is just no excuse for collecting and discarding animals. They deserve better. Thank goodness that Fila boy made it to someone who deserves him, but I sure wish he hadn't had to go through that horror first.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

I'd say a revolving door is much better than no door at all.

I have rescued many dogs that I planned to keep my home permanently. I called them my dogs. They turned out not to be what I wanted/needed, so I gave them to an owner who would appreciate them more. I don't see an issue with that at all. Not one.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Twin 2

Quote:

I have rescued many dogs that I planned to keep my home permanently. I called them my dogs. They turned out not to be what I wanted/needed, so I gave them to an owner who would appreciate them more. I don't see an issue with that at all. Not one.
The issue is that nothing is what is first seems.

But that's neither here nor there I think. Yes, I do wonder then about all the past dogs and what might have never been brought to the light. Yes, it does lend to past behavior and precedent but other than incomplete and changing stories, hearsay, rumor and overall gut feelings it's not provable.

This Fila is. And I hope it was a wake up call to Teal and everyone around. I hope she finds help and gets her life together but I hope she does that without another dog suffering.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Obviously, that is highly debatable in this situation.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

OMG just stop... Seriously. Stop.

You are not making things any better for Teal by keeping this thread alive with pathetic attempts to excuse away the facts.
A baby puppy was starved for an extended period of time, and the person who appears to be responsible has not provided any refuting evidence that is not clearly fabricated.

So you got rid of some dogs (not something I’d be proud of, but moving on), did you starve them to near death before you unloaded them? Did you lie when asked to explain their condition?

Its not the same thing, and you know it. If you want to defend Teal, contact her since you’re so close, and ask her what the heck is going on and if you can share that information on this thread.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:

This was a dog from a BREEDER, as were many others that disappeared in her past. A revolving door ISN'T better- this fila puppy could've been placed in a loving home from the beginning instead of being neglected by Jairi.

Heck, even the worst shelters at least provide food- something that this fila puppy didn't even have access to.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I don't think that's always true especially if the 'revolving door' person decides not to care for the animal. I've seen strays in better condition than that puppy.

Also this dog was from a breeder I think it would have been better off skipping this 'home' and staying with the breeder until they found a suitable loving home.