Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
If he had a medical condition causing the wight loss, he wouldn't have gained it back that fast. Reportedly he gained 28 lbs in two weeks.
You're probably right, I was thinking a heavy parasite load can cause problems for young animals, and after you'd killed them off the animal would probably recover quite quickly. But I don't know enough to say actually could be the case, just a suggestion.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Ill be honest that I've taken in a rescue dog or two in a state of neglect and of abuse and I have not contacted the authorities. Hindsight is 20/20, I should have, but at the time my concern was fix the dog.

It is something that can be reported in retrospect but because AC takes cases in order of importance and they've put the fireworks trainer video on the back burner I doubt this would rush to the front of the line.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Teal...
Let's just set aside all previous grievances between you and RC and just look at the bare facts.
You posted two pictures from two days before the breeder took him. People already think he looks unhealthy in those pictures, but that's neither here nor there. Two days later, the pictures showing he was emaciated were taken, which YOU agree shows a very unhealthy dog. Those two days, he was still in your possession. So what exactly are YOU saying happened?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Dober, I can't fully answer your question, but when I picked up Jazz, the Fila I drove 10 hours (round-trip) to get from Southaven, MS. I didn't call AC while I was there. With the odd behavior of the owner, and me having a 2-yr-old and infant with me, my focus became getting everyone out of there and home safely. (When I arrived, I got out and opened the back of the Magnum, and the owner literally picked her up, threw her in the back, shut the back, and sent me on my way.)

Jazz was very underweight, and a socially neglected wreck

The worst part of it was that this woman was running an equine rescue. And yet Jazz was treated so poorly.

After doing some investigative Internet scouring, and getting in contact with people who had also dealt with her, I learned there was a much bigger issue.

Today, the equine rescue is gone, and I haven't heard anything else about the woman. But it won't stop me from puiing in my 2 cents on her ethics and treatment of animals.

Last edited by Miakoda; 10-02-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Also, if one reads the first email, the breeder says in the future she will call AC on premises to make prosecution easier, which to me implies that she tried to do something later but couldn't.

Quote:
I have learned that if I have to go retrieve a dog again, I will call animal control while I am on the premises so I can press charges more easily.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Ill be honest that I've taken in a rescue dog or two in a state of neglect and of abuse and I have not contacted the authorities. Hindsight is 20/20, I should have, but at the time my concern was fix the dog.

It is something that can be reported in retrospect but because AC takes cases in order of importance and they've put the fireworks trainer video on the back burner I doubt this would rush to the front of the line.
This. Much better said than my previous rambling mess of a post.

I'd give anything to have a floppy Fila puppy to love. It sucks to see a situation like this, when there's no way in hell I would've treated a pup in such a manner.

Money can buy a puppy, but it sure as hell doesn't guarantee an honest, ethical, caring owner.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

See?

No undeniable, solid proof and people are already damning her.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I honestly don't see what that has to do with anything. The puppy shouldn't have been under stress - he was in a home where he'd been for quite some time (so one would assume there was little stress) and he clearly had no problem eating in an entirely new place if he gained 28 pounds in two weeks.

Do you really think so? This photo looks ok to you? (I'm not trying to be snarky and I'm not trying to pick on you personally, I'm really wondering if you think this is acceptable.)

Not as a vet tech, but as someone who has raised Filas and helped with rescue:

It's entirely possible that a Fila pup who has bonded would mourn and refuse to eat after being separated from their person, but it's not going to happen in a matter of a couple of days, and, honestly, they are such survivors that it's unlikely those instincts, particularly as pup, wouldn't kick in and get them eating, and, from the later photos by the breeder he's thriving now. Thankfully. There is also that Fila metabolism -- the one that enabled the breed to survive in an extremely impoverished region on far less than ideal rations for unknown generations.

Does that mean Teal purposely starved him? Not necessarily, and, frankly, that doesn't really add up for me.

It's entirely possible that he started going downhill with Teal because she did not have the bond with him and he felt emotionally rebuffed. I know it sounds nuts, but it's the truth. It's how these dogs are. They are creatures of extremes and there is nothing as important to them, even from their earliest stages, as their people. That's one of the reasons it's so important to make sure you are ready for the depth of commitment necessary when you take a Fila puppy home. What will cause another puppy frustration, but will be forgotten in a few moments will break a Fila's heart.

Is the Fila puppy in this photo way too thin? Yes. Absolutely. Is there neglect? It would appear so.

Does that mean it was done purposely, out of malice? Not necessarily. I don't know, and looking at her other dogs in the photo I have to ask why would someone purposely abuse one puppy?

And why would you take photos of the puppy you were purposely abusing/neglecting?

Why would you post openly about sending him back to the breeder if you were purposely neglecting/abusing the pup?

It does make me feel extremely sad, to think of him feeling so bereft, seeing the anxious expression on his face in that photo. The best thing that could have happened was for him to be returned to his breeder.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
See?

Inability to produce a healthy looking pic from that time, refusal to post vet records, and refusal to do something as simple as unselecting a box on a website is honestly enough proof for me.

Do those things and maybe I'll change my mind but right now looks more like someone doesn't want the facts known.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
See?

Most people in this thread have been sitting here waiting to hear something that proves that she didn't do this. There has been digging by people here to try and find the truth but so far Teal has done nothing, at least from what I've seen to make me find fault in what has been presented by Red Chrome.

It makes no sense to me and Teal hasn't been very forthcoming with a logical explanation for why this puppy looks like this the day he went back to the breeder. She says she doesn't know why he looks like that in those pictures but honestly, that really isn't convincing to me nor is enough. Neither has the attitude she has for the puppy. I don't think I remember her even calling him by name in this thread yet and I'll be honest, while that's purely emotional on my part I find it pretty telling.

I'm willing to be first in line to apologize if it proves to be fabricated. But so far I'm not seeing much that says it is.