Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I have no problem suggesting a cat to someone who doesn't want to take on a dog. Not saying at all that cats aren't a responsibility, or that they don't need attention but most of that attention is cuddling, petting, waving around a feather wand, foot wrestling, etc Stuff that you can do while multitasking.
Cats can actually be just as much a handful as dogs, but in different ways. My cat, Spore, will keep you up ALL night from tearing through the house, playing, chasing mice, etc. He also has lower urinary track disease, a VERY common illness for male cats, and requires a specific, somewhat expensive diet. From time to time, he'll "leak" when walking around or sleeping, and has to go to the vet to be flushed out. How many people would be responsible enough to take THAT on? :/

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You would like that, you kinky wench you.
Yes, I have read and enjoyed the Fifty Shades books. Sue me.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Let it be

Yeah my cat has higher needs than my dog. Or at least to me, it feels like he does. He is whiney. He is in your face. He wants to play roughly at all hours of the day. He jumps out from weird places and tries to eat my face. He NEEDS a lot of physical contact. His stinky litter box needs to be changed.

All my dog wants is to be let out to pee, walked some times, fed and be told "Good boy" every now and again. Whiel I go above and beyond that most of the time, he is also content with less than he is given so long as he can spend a fair bit of time with his person.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
OMG, I'm not the only one on the planet with a dog named Beezer? Who isn't just referring to an Ibizan?
Lol nope. He is named after John Vanbiesbrouck LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

There is a reason why Ivan still has a crate at 7 1/2 years old. Not because he will chew something up or stuff like that. Its so I can have some space! Ohh and go to the bathroom in peace. Do you guys know what its like to be using the bathroom and have a 50 pound dog SIT on your lap????????????? NOt fun. OR or try to take a nice relaxing bath and have said dog jump in the tub with you. Because ya know, its not enough to be in the room, he has to be next to me, on me, touching me. The more body contact he has with me, the better. And if I lock him out of the bathroom. He sits by the door and not just pouts but whinessssssssssssssssssss. I have always said I picked the wrong registered name for him. His should have been me and my shadow.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm All Ears

Living with Mia, you get no space. If I so much as move, she's up and tearing around screaming. I said something just now and all 5 papillons went berserk. It had NOTHING to do with the dogs. Was asking my sisters if they want dinner.

Omg omg omg she said a word! We must scream our excitement!

Shift my weight? excite!
Close computer? Excite!
etc etc

Mia has even poked her head into the shower if I take too long. She is the ultimate velcro dog.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
This. That attitude drives me nuts!!

Mine are, too. If I leave the apartment for more than 5 minutes, my Bowie follows me around until I sit down and then jumps in my lap and purrs. He also sometimes follows me into the bathroom and jumps on my lap. I went away for a week this summer and when I got back, Bowie cuddled me non stop. He would sit on my lap with his paws on my shoulders and his head under my chin, purring:

He needs me and I love that he does! Ziggy, on the other hand, just loves everyone and follows people around purring until they pick her up, then she'll ride on your shoulder:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....What sweet pictures.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Wow I didn't know cats were so much work! Not since my cat from hell debuted anyway.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

I'd say needy cats are special cases... I have owned A LOT of cats in my life, and I'd say in general, a cat is definitely a better choice than a dog for someone who wants a low maintanence, independent pet that doesn't need a whole lot of attention.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Renee, remember this?

The first time I turned her loose in the backyard, she sat at my feet and held her paw out until I took it. It completely broke my heart and made my heart swell with immediate love at the same time.

Her last day with me, moments before she was given a painless release from a world and the people of that world that freaked her out, she lied down and lifted up her paw to me.

I've never shared that picture before, because basically, it reminds me of my personal failure and too many "what if's" and "should have's".

My main heart dog, out of ALL my dogs over the years, was my Shar Pei/Cane Corso, Wrigley. In the way too short of time I had with Jazz, I felt that same deep love in my heart and soul. I've cried more tears over the loss of her, than I did many of my other long-term dogs...combined.

I'll NEVER forget this beautiful girl...