Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover

tracy try to focus on the thread not me please
Tracy was focusing on the thread and not you.

While I hear everyone arguements on either side of the neutering issue, I agree with check with a vet, and as for neutering, my insincts and experiences tend towards neutering. I have dealt with higher aggression dogs that doing so has helped their behaviour. But each to his own, and it sounds like more than just being intact is the culprit for a sudden attitude switch like this.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Active Pup

I should of mentioned this in my first post. Hes been to the vet a day before I made the thread. There is nothing physical wrong with him. When I took him to the vet I had a muzzle on him, as soon as we entered he went nuts. front paws going 100 mph at the muzzle. Blood started gushing from the muzzle in the vets office waiting room. It made a big puddle. He bit his tounge and ripped his lip. They had to sedate him to examine him. Hes not neutured because Im male and it seems the all the women say is Snip and the males say Shoot. Im reading into it and Ill probally nuter him in the future. Recently I wresled with him and he seems to be doing better. Im trusting him again and he seems to notice and seems more at ease and Im trying to be more at ease.. I just want my buddy back.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Big Dog

wookie,
There are several sites and yahoo groups that deal with positive reinforcement and aggressive behaviors in dogs. I really think that positive training will help the both of you bond and help establish his trust in you. It's a sad story to say the least. But one that sounds very familiar to me. My parents had a Springer that just out of the blue snapped when he was about six (my father will tell you that his brain continued to grow causing him pain and to therefore go crazy, but he also thinks that doberman pinschers got their name from the same thing). Patches was neutered too - just goes to show that although I do think that neutering helps with certain behavioral problems, I know it's not a cure-all. Sadly my parents did not want to work with him and turned him into a local no-kill shelter. He was adopted out - even though the staff knew of his "problems" and bit a kid. His new owner then took him out and shot him. Even though this happened 11 years ago, it's still a bone of contention between my parents and I.
Kudos to you for seeking advice and help and for being willing to work your buddy through the problems! Keep us updated on his progress, I'm sure you'll make lots of it :-) Did your vet suggest any medication you could put him on while you work on this? I know that there are certain meds that are like Prozac for dogs... Maybe to take the edge off his reactions until you can work through it?
Almost forgot <g>. Was that the first time he had a muzzle on? You might want to start getting him used to it gradually. You want him to associate the muzzle with good things (like cheese and tiny hotdog pieces), not the vet :-) The muzzle could have very well increased his anxiety while at the vet.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Whitedobelover

that is understandable... and it could have been a freak attitude lol which does happen... i got prince in check today he started acting up and i checked him real quick he is intact and well i think behaviorlist is teh best way to go... before you go nueter him find the nueter thread under health that doberluv posted... it is interesting before you go and nueter him... there are pros and cons hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagginwookie
I should of mentioned this in my first post. Hes been to the vet a day before I made the thread. There is nothing physical wrong with him. When I took him to the vet I had a muzzle on him, as soon as we entered he went nuts. front paws going 100 mph at the muzzle. Blood started gushing from the muzzle in the vets office waiting room. It made a big puddle. He bit his tounge and ripped his lip. They had to sedate him to examine him. Hes not neutured because Im male and it seems the all the women say is Snip and the males say Shoot. Im reading into it and Ill probally nuter him in the future. Recently I wresled with him and he seems to be doing better. Im trusting him again and he seems to notice and seems more at ease and Im trying to be more at ease.. I just want my buddy back.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for replys, here he is. I was hoping for an aligator smile. I didnt get it.

Note: He has brown eyes - Camera made them blue

Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Big Dog

Very handsome boy :-) Who obviously really like his cookie :-)

Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Twin 2.0

I love his coloring! Keep us updated on his behavior, it sounds like you really care for your dog.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Top Dog

Very handsome boy! You have a whole lot of "issues" on your hands. I know this forum is great, but you need to seek professional advice from someone who deals with aggressive behavior. No one here is going to be able to finger point the problem, or find the trigger response to your dog. Find a good trainer in your area that deals with aggression. Make sure they are using the food/love/postive reward and response. I don't think you are going to get a "whole" valid response here, the information you provided is to vast. Good luck, and let us know. The money is well worth it with a good trainer.
Amy
Old 11-04-2005, 04:18 AM
rottiegirl

Quote:
While I hear everyone arguements on either side of the neutering issue, I agree with check with a vet, and as for neutering, my insincts and experiences tend towards neutering. I have dealt with higher aggression dogs that doing so has helped their behaviour. But each to his own, and it sounds like more than just being intact is the culprit for a sudden attitude switch like this.
I completely agree with you. Intact dogs become more dominant than neutered dogs, because of the flow of testosterone (sp?). Intact dogs are way more likely to challenge their owners and other dogs. In my opinion, every pet quality dog should be neutered.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 AM
rottiegirl

Neutering eliminates testicular cancer and decreases the incidence of prostate disease. It makes them less likely to spray and mark territory and it makes them less likely to bite. Unsterilized animals often exhibit more behavior and temperament problems than do those who have been spayed or neutered. Neutering makes pets less likely to roam the neighborhood, run away, or get into fights. most dog attacks are caused by dogs who were intact.